FHC Microfilms?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Re: FHC Microfilms?

Post by Eleven »

The records for this town, on the FHL pilot site are still being worked on. I arbitrate the records being indexed. This town has only been started a few months ago. It took them over 2 years to complete the trento baptism records, so I imagine its going to be quite some time before these records are all online.

I think the problem is that they dont have enough volunteers who choose to work on italian records. So folks, if you have time on your hands, are familiar with italian records and would like to give back a little of what you gained from the FHL records, go over and volunteer. They take anyone, they are not demanding. You can do one record a day, even..every little bit helps. The more people they can get to work on these things..the faster they will get out there.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Going back to my original question, as I have only been able to work with the Napoli collection viewing online the unindexed records at this point, would the microfilm 1900-1929 be different from what they currently have online in the collections which are "browse images only"? If so I would rent the microfilm from the FHL to review.

Carmine, have you had a chance to view the collections that I was talking about earlier?

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

At the FHC I have ordered a ton of nati films, a few of them had the marriage on the side. I discovered my grandfather was one of 14 kids and I thought, what happened to all of them?

Yet, when i went to one of my ancestral towns, going through the record books, all the deaths were noted on the side. Most of my grandfaters siblings died at birth or at a young age.

I wonder how could this be? Am I not looking at the same records the FHC copied onto microfilm?
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

At the FHC I have ordered a ton of nati films, a few of them had the marriage on the side. I discovered my grandfather was one of 14 kids and I thought, what happened to all of them?

Yet, when i went to one of my ancestral towns, going through the record books, all the deaths were noted on the side. Most of my grandfaters siblings died at birth or at a young age.

I wonder how could this be? Am I not looking at the same records the FHC copied onto microfilm?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

micheles wrote:I wonder how could this be? Am I not looking at the same records the FHC copied onto microfilm?
I don't know about the timing of the particular people you were looking up, but do keep in mind that - to the best of my knowledge - most of these microfilms are decades old.

Interestingly, I don't see anything on the FamilySearch.org site which addresses this question.

PS: I just sent a request for info; I will post back when I receive a reply.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

What Michele said is why I was questioning whether the film listed for Castellammare di Stabia would be more updated.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

It is better than nothing. Also, my town was copied in 1990, technology has gotten a lot better.

Also, when I went to this certain ancestor town, there were separate index books that the FHC did not copy and there was a ton of information in there. You know how the indexes are at the end of the years? Well, they have seperate index books. Those would say n.m. meaning child born and died at birth etc.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Although the civil records are maintained at the town level, copies are sent to the provincial archives. I believe that the LDS filmed the civil records at these provincial archives (at least in Southern Italy). Thus, your ancestral comune will have records that might be somewhat different than those filmed by the LDS, either as to content and/or quantity. When I visited my ancestral town of Oratino, the Ufficio there stated that her office had very few records prior to 1865 and the ones they had were loose and not bound or indexed. She could not understand how I had viewed the complete records 1809-1865 on microfilm. After making a call, she learned that the provincial archives in Campobasso had a complete set of the records.
John Armellino
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

Ahh, that explains so much, yes my town is in Sicily. Thank you John.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Prego
John Armellino
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I mentioned above that I had sent a request for information concerning microfilm age to FHL. Here is the reply I just received:
As an example, please go to www.familysearch.org, library, library catalog, and do a place search for Florence. Select Florence, Italy and then church records. Select the one for the Santa Maria del Fiore di Firenze and view the title details. In the publication section it says it where and when it was published which would have been fairly soon after it was filmed: Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmati dalla Genealogical Society of Utah, 1979. So for this church's records, we can estimate that the filming occured in that year or the one before.
Hope this helps.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

On the subject of films from FHL, I just received a new film from Salt Lake City. To my surprise, it is in a "negative" format (white on brown) instead of a "positive" format (black on white). I haven't yet received an answer as to whether this means the original is in the negative format or whether this film was created incorrectly. I have been waiting for this film and now it is very difficult to read. :cry:
If anyone has had this experience, your input would be appreciated.

Carmine, how did you communicate with Salt Lake City. Was it by e-mail? Thank you for any input.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Jim, I used the webform on this page: http://www.familysearch.org/eng/home/fa ... act_us.asp

The emails I received in return came from Support@FamilySearch.org (remove the spaces).
Carmine

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you, Carmine.
I sent an e-mail.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.