Visiting Italian towns - reception?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
didozo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Visiting Italian towns - reception?

Post by didozo »

You are so lucky finding a relation online. I kind of feel like this branch came from nowhere and isn't related to anyone still alive. It's not like I haven't found documents of brothers and sisters of the 2 GGF and GGM so I know somebody out there knew this branch.

I did find people in the white pages so that was going to be my next step.

Thanks for more ideas.
Searching: Allenza -Villalba/Valledolmo, Marsala -Villalba, Trapani-Mistretta, and Mirra/Filippelli- Domanico, Benevento
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

juanminbar wrote:
when i arrived in casalvecchio

When did you get to go? Any of the surnames below familiar?
i should have posted the full name of the village.
casalvecchio siculo and i am not familar with any of the above names.

good luck, john
nickintexas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nickintexas »

Ahhhh! ---big difference in location! :lol:
My past is all behind me now.
Looking for Andreola, Fino, Simone, Rossacci & Capece primarily from Casalvecchio di Puglia.
tinagrenier
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tinagrenier »

I've had mixed results in my experiences, with the internet these days the hard part isn't finding relatives. Some of them just don't seem to want to be bothered. I think the best way is to write a letter ahead of time, if you get a response you can go from there. I don't think showing up in the town and trying to track relatives down that way is the best idea. Some people who have responded here have had good experiences with that but I think you are taking a big chance. And if the relatives don't respond the way you were hoping for, you may have ruined your chances of ever even getting past the introduction stage. My parents both grew up in Italy and came here as young adults, I know one side of my Italian family very well and most of the other side doesn't seem interested in staying in touch. I've tried several times over the years, it is what it is! If these are people you've never met before, I think it's always best to write first. You take a chance at leaving a bad first impression if you just show up.