Pudetti / Camuglia / Russo Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Pudetti / Camuglia / Russo Family

Post by wldspirit »

Rosario with wife, on manifest of grandmother note the two names above her and her brother, going to same address to join sister, who is the wife of Rosario...........still looking for additional info.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9296/image2vi.gif

wldspirit
Sambina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sambina »

Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:58 pm Post subject: Re: Pudetti / Camuglia / Russo Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosario with wife, on manifest of grandmother note the two names above her and her brother, going to same address to join sister, who is the wife of Rosario...........still looking for additional info.

img220.imageshack.us/i...age2vi.gif

wldspirit
I am a little lost. I looked at this image and am missing what you are saying. Could you please explain it again? Thank you very much you are great!
"Siamo nati, viviamo e moriamo poi! Perché non ha un grande tempo mentre lei vivono! L'amore, vive, la festa, e guida con la cima giù sotto la pioggia! ED una volta lei ha vissuto, ha amato, il partied, e corso intorno con la cima giù morte è
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Lines 19 thru 22 of ship manifest, all going to 363 Jay Street, 19 and 20 are joining sister "Giuseppina Meli"........who is the wife of Rosario, making her your grandmothers sister in law. I provided the census of Rosario and his wife.
wldspirit
Sambina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sambina »

wldspirit wrote:Lines 19 thru 22 of ship manifest, all going to 363 Jay Street, 19 and 20 are joining sister "Giuseppina Meli"........who is the wife of Rosario, making her your grandmothers sister in law. I provided the census of Rosario and his wife.
wldspirit
how do you know all of that information? I didn't see it on there? I feel like an idiot.
"Siamo nati, viviamo e moriamo poi! Perché non ha un grande tempo mentre lei vivono! L'amore, vive, la festa, e guida con la cima giù sotto la pioggia! ED una volta lei ha vissuto, ha amato, il partied, e corso intorno con la cima giù morte è
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Next to each name is a column, at the top of each column is a heading,
each of the questions listed in the heading are asked of the immigrant, the replies are then listed.......so in reading the manifest you can see that lines 19 thru 22 were all going to the same address, ect., ect.,...........the best manifest contain two pages, as there is so much more information to go on, but some manifest are only one page and the information is limited.
All of the information listed are clues for you to follow. Same thing with census documents.

You now know that your great Uncle Rosario had a wife named Giuseppina, and that her maiden name was Meli. The census shows ages, sometimes. depending on year of census, age at time of marriage, year of immigration, naturalization, ect.,

And you are not an idiot!!!!!!!! 8O
Stick around.....there is lots to learn here at ItalianGenealogy!!!! :wink:
wldspirit
Sambina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sambina »

Could you possibly send me that again. I just don't see where you found the addy on the one I have. I might be looking at the wrong thing.

Also about writing to places:

There was contact information listed on here that said I should write to certain locations.

One was an email and one was a location. Where is this place? I haven't found it on a map. What should I say exactly? Could I ask about Camuglia, Russo and Pudetti?

Thank you again and I appreciate you being patient with me.
Sambina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sambina »

At this point, since her father's name is Salvatore, and it matches with that one on ship record, I suggest you to contact Castiglione di Sicilia civil record office, to request her birth certificate

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Lauria, 1
9012 Castiglione di Sicilia (CT)
Italy

servizidemografici @ comune.castiglionedisicilia.ct.it

or rent Castiglione di Sicilia civil record microfilm to FHL (mormon church)

or contact Archivio di Stato di Catania
ALSO - what does the statement about rent Castiglione di Sicilia civil record microfilm to FHL mean?? I have no clue about any rent or stuff like this. I have used microfilm to find the wedding information but I wouldn't know how to rent it or what to do with it if I got it home. :?:

Thank you in advanced for your great help!

:-)
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Sambina,

You can write the Italian town civil records office for birth, marriage, death records. Always send as much information as you know, letter the request in Italian (you can find free translation sites on the web or post here and someone will translate your letter) & supply SASE, International Reply Coupon (can get at your local post office for $1.75) and a copy of your photo ID.

As for renting the films, they are referring to microfilm records that can be order (abt $5.50 per film) @ your local Family History Center. FHC are the Mormans, who have and still do film records around the world.

Here is a link to locate a FHC near you.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Here is a link to the filmed records for the town of Castiglione di Sicilia
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

It takes about 2-3 weeks to get film into your local FHC. Once there, you can go through the films and trace you family.

Help this helps.
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Sambina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sambina »

Thank you for the information.

How did you find these links? I would like to look up the Pudetti side of my family as well.

What search did you do and what do I ask them when I call?

Do I tell them I would like to rent film?

I feel so out of my comfort zone.

Thank you
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Sambina,

Hi. I'm glad you are getting all this information that will help you in your search. The first thing you need to do is take a step back and relax. It's not all that hard. :lol:

Researching your family will require you to do some of your own detective work. No one knows what you are looking for better than you. People can only help so much.

Here's a great thread by Trish on how to start your research:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2113

And this link, also by Trish describes how to obtain microfilms:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

The information you seek is all here, you just need to look for it. And you will get comfortable with it when you actually become active in the search and trying to answer some of your own questions. And you will make mistakes. But remember, there will still be others here to help you when you do need them.

Hope this helps.
Nuccia :D
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

On the manifest provided by Ricbru, page two, click "enlarge manifest",
now scroll to the right, lines 19 thru 22, list destination, relative or friend, and the address of 363 Jay Street.
wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

"Sambina,

"The first thing you need to do is take a step back and relax. It's not all that hard.

Nuccia"

Great advise Nuccia :!:

Sambina,

Read the information from Trish. She is a professional. We all have been "Newbies" to genealogy, too, so we all know how you feel. You'll get the hang of it and like Nuccia said, there is always someone on the forum to answer questions and point you in the right direction.

You have to go to your FHC to order the films. Payment is due at this time.

Smile :) :) :) :) :)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Here is a basic but good family group sheet to start with,

http://www.familytreemagazine.com/forms ... ygroup.pdf

organizing your information will help to put it all into perspective.

this link provides excellent advice for the beginner,

http://www.graonline.com/cgi-bin/gra/do ... gratrailer

wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi wldspirit,

You're right. This is a great starting point and so simple. I'm printing out copies to photocopy for some of my friends who are starting their research.

jcsm400

BIG HUG FOR TODAY :wink:

Nuccia :D :D
Sambina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sambina »

wldspirit

I can't get this link to work:
www.graonline.com/cgi-...gratrailer

could you check it please?

Thank you for the form I am going to use it and I think it will help.

YOU ROCK!