Sicilian DNA

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Re: Sicilian DNA

Post by MarcuccioV »

Mine is similar on my maternal side, but of the three DNA tests and free sites I uploaded my data to, I see differences and some go farther, one notes "Mali" heritage while another does not. I do see a small % between all in North Africa, I'm positive this is from my maternal line.
I received more results which just confirm Greek & west Asian along with Italian/Southern Italian, so my best guess is my grandfather had at least some Sicilian heritage. I found a cluster of Mattia's (his surname) in Agrigento, on the southern Sicilian coast. No direct connections yet, though.

I also read an article recently which indicated there was a mass migration from Sicily into Lazio (where he was born) in the 17-1800's...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Has anyone joined a Sicilian surname project or Sicilian DNA project?
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

darkerhorse wrote: 11 Mar 2021, 19:33 Has anyone joined a Sicilian surname project or Sicilian DNA project?
Yes as noted prior FTDNA

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/si ... background

They are doing both yDNA for paternal lines and mtDNA for maternal lines.

There are a couple more as well:

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/me ... background

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/it ... background
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

My 23 & Me results just came in and showed my Italian half to be primariliy from Lazio (where my grandparents originated), Campania and Sicily, with Puglia to a slightly lesser extent. It also found Greek, Balkan, and West Asian (Caucasus)/Arabic/Levant. Those findings indicate at least SOME Sicilian heritage. I also carry the U3b MtDNA haplogroup, which is found in only about 1-2% of Italians & is most common among Jordanians near the Dead Sea...
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Are those regions, like Sicily, actually identified separately by percentages or are you basing these origins on DNA matches?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 23:54 Are those regions, like Sicily, actually identified separately by percentages or are you basing these origins on DNA matches?
They are separated out, but not by percentage, only by comparative means... I think you have to do the full MtDNA workup for that, but so far it has been the most detailed by far...

Also the U3b haplogroup is found in 55% of the Roma peoples (Gypsies) of Northern Asia/India...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

So, if my father was 100% Sicilian and my mother was 0% Sicilian, I and my siblings should have 50% Sicilian ancestry in our DNA.

What could cause that to vary, assuming my parents' ancestry is correct?

Also, what company/test would be best to answer that question of percent Sicilian ancestry?
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

darkerhorse wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 17:22 So, if my father was 100% Sicilian and my mother was 0% Sicilian, I and my siblings should have 50% Sicilian ancestry in our DNA.

Also, what company/test would be best to answer that question of percent Sicilian ancestry?
You won't see 100% Sicilian as it doesn't work that way nor is anyone such. If you go with 23andme's DNA test, you will likely see Sicily as the strongest match with other regions as well, then a specific % of Western Asian and North Africa and Greek but again YMMV.

Of all the DNA testing I have done, only 23andme shows Sicilian heritage, and I did full sequence mtDNA testing at FTDNA and also autosomal (family finder). mtDNA works mother>grandmother>great-grandmother> and so on, so mtDNA will only show your Mother's line. Y-DNA which 23andme will show, will pull in your father>grandfather>great-grandfather and so on. I'd suggest 23andme to start as it does include Y-DNA to show your paternal line. If you want to dig deeper, suggest FTDNA Y-DNA testing and then join the Sicilian group to see any possible connections.

Haplogroups go back thousands of years and really do not tell you much about a specific recent heritage and the only one of real value is your paternal haplogroup and useful in seeing what you share with common ancestors.

If your Father is of Italian heritage, yes 23andme will likely show you and your siblings as 50% approx. Italian heritage broken down in regions and other countries.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

darkerhorse wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 17:22 So, if my father was 100% Sicilian and my mother was 0% Sicilian, I and my siblings should have 50% Sicilian ancestry in our DNA.

Read up on the concept of recombination. I'm by no means an expert, but I think in your extreme case you would have to get 50% Sicilian (Italian) from your father. However it's rare to see a person truly 100% of any ethnicity, so you have to also (first) consider that oddity (unlikely occurrence).

I think a better example is if, say, your father was 30% Italian. You would, of course, get 50% of your (total) Autosomal DNA from him, but that does not mean, for example, that you'll get half of his 30% Italian, or 15% Italian. The actual percentage of Italian that you receive from him can be anywhere between 0% and 30%.

A further example is how much Italian a person would inherit from a given grandparent. For me, I have one Sicilian grandparent (Messina). You would think me and my siblings would each get exactly 1/4 or 25% of that (the concept of averages) from all four grandparents. That's not the case. Depending on the DNA testing site you go to, I have around 22-27% Italian, whereas my sister appears to "only" have around 15%-20%.

The bottom line is that, through recombination, "crossover" occurs so a person can get more or less than the 25%. The only constant is that the percentages inherited from either both of your maternal grandparents or both of your paternal grandparents must add up to 50%.
Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 21:34
darkerhorse wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 19:43 I asked a Sicilian genealogist online and he recommended 23andMe, so it's a dilemma. I don't even see Sicilian as a category on their website.

Has anyone had Sicilian DNA detected in their testing?
As Browned Eyed Girl has mentioned that Ancestry detects Sicilian dna why don't you test with them and then when you receive your results from Ancestry, you can download the data and upload to 23andMe. That is what a lot of people do.

Angela
That's because ancestry is nonsense and mixes modern identity with ancient. Even DNA land is better and if they are Sicilian but have something else non Sicilian, DNA land Vadahou and whatever else it will pick it up
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I had the best results from 23&me. It broke down my Italian by region & strength. It included Sicilian in my matrix.
Mark

Lenauk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lenauk »

Also I don't understand the ''Ashkenazi Jews'' are indigenous to the Levant if many other ethnicities passed through there including the Philistines. They are not any more or less indigenous than the Palestinian Arabs they even share the same Y chromosones.

Also where does the idea of Crusader genes exist in Lebanese Christians? Crusader genes nor Roman Imperial samples are not exclusive to Lebanese Christians, even when Pierre Zalloua said that J2 Phoenician genes were found in all sects

https://www.lorientlejour.com/article/5 ... anais.html

I myself scored 25 percent Sicilian and 35 percent Iberian. ( I am also half British/Irish ) And I am not a Christian put it that way
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Using which testing company?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I would still go with 23 & Me first. You can then upload to FTDNA, MyHeritage, GEDmatch & others. In a word, Ancestry's Italian matrix sucks. It is the least accurate and least detailed of them all...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Does anyone recommend anything else for DNA testing than 23andMe for detecting Sicilian ethnicity?