Can you help me please? Ellis Island Relatives

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Can you help me please? Ellis Island Relatives

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Nuccia,

I did consider the FOIA request. I have to re-read a section in a book at home. I know ICE has a copy of all natuaralization requests since 1906. In theory I belive they would also have a record of arrivals. With the short amount of time Tommaso's ancestor was in America, not sure he would get much other than a date of arrival. If the ancestor was here in the 1940's and had to register as an alien, there would be more information.

Also providing enough information for ICE to find and identify the ancestor may be difficult.

I try and collect every type of document possible. So, its is free and you never know. Worst case ICE dosen't provide anything new. In this case, with Tommaso in Italy it might be more than he wants to try.

Debbie
User avatar
Alienboy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 29 Mar 2007, 00:00
Location: Roma

Re: Can you help me please? Ellis Island Relatives

Post by Alienboy »

Tks a lot for your help! BYE!
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Can you help me please? Ellis Island Relatives

Post by VaDeb »

YOu are very welcome.

If you are a direct descendent of the person you inquired about, you can file a Privacy Freedpm of Information Request with US Customs and Immigration Enforcement. They MAY have a record of arrivials. If the ancestor was here in the 1940's they would have to complete an alien registration card and ICE would have that.

http://www.ice.gov/about/legal.htm#foia

You will need to be a direct descendant and prove this, along with documentation that the person is deceased. The request is free. In order to process it, ICE will need all information you have on the person, including where they lived in the USA. I don't know if you have enough information for ICE to process the request.

Let me know if you need more information about this.

Debbie
User avatar
BrooklynGene
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 08 Dec 2007, 19:42

Re: Can you help me please? Ellis Island Relatives

Post by BrooklynGene »

Don't dismiss the Frank Fradella family presented above by VaDeb as not being related. They also came from Porto Empedocle. As was indicated, there was a son Alfonso who may or not be related to Onofrio. I have a Fradella lineage. My grandmother was a Fradella and arrived at Ellis Island in 1914 from Porto Empedocle. I would guess that most, if not all, Fradellas from Porto Empedocle are related in one way or another. Are you related in some way to a Giuseppe Fradella, he came to America and then returned to Agrigento in the early 1900s.
Post Reply