Professional Genealogy Research Help!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Professional Genealogy Research Help!

Post by wldspirit »

[A genealogy forum is supposed to be a pleasant place, where people post to make connections and help each other out.]

Jim,
I agree with the above statement 100 percent, but this is a free Italian Genealogy forum, one does not expect to be solicited for any of the information they seek, unless by prior agreement they have chosen to pay for such services. A paid researcher should clearly state his or her intentions.
Peter's sarcasm is obvious, and I'm sure it does intimidate newcomers to this site, both the inexperienced and the experienced. Instead of an exchange of ideas and information, they are insulted and less likely to pursue further inquiries.
There are those at this site who have provided immense help, such as suanj, and currently mfjp is doing a great job with another post. Hopefully, newcomers will take encouragement from these types of post and ignore the others.

And then there are the postings which have less to do with Italian Genealogy and are better suited to online chat rooms, another subject entirely.......

wldspirit
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

wldspirit wrote:[A genealogy forum is supposed to be a pleasant place, where people post to make connections and help each other out.]

Jim,
I agree with the above statement 100 percent, but this is a free Italian Genealogy forum, one does not expect to be solicited for any of the information they seek, unless by prior agreement they have chosen to pay for such services. A paid researcher should clearly state his or her intentions.
Peter's sarcasm is obvious, and I'm sure it does intimidate newcomers to this site, both the inexperienced and the experienced. Instead of an exchange of ideas and information, they are insulted and less likely to pursue further inquiries.

wldspirit
My point was never to the subject of this thread, but rather making note of yet another rude post by this forumer. He is a very unpleasant person, and makes a point to to insult, more often than help people. It is something more than sarcasm, it is down right antagonistic.

sorry to hijack this thread....back to the topic at hand. :)

Jim Bianco
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Thank you Wildspirit, it was something you said that was very encouraging (to me and others) and thought I would reply.

I joined this forum last August, knowing I may have to embarrass myself with leads that bark up the wrong tree. I’ve goofed at times but certainly learned from it. I am always amazed at all the resources that have been posted at this site. I have too much to learn... but as someone pointed out to me, research is a life long project.

suanj is truly the best! She is an Italian researcher, a name expert, a location expert, historian, and a woman with a big heart, living in a small town in the middle of Italy. What I like about her best is that she will ask others to help. This is such a positive thing to ask for in a forum. People, work together... and that is probably her strongest message.

This is by far, the best Italian genealogy forum. At times I wished there was better control as to what can be said to people. I have seen other forums, where people post and no one replies. Feeling sorry for that forum, I even attempted to answer some posts.... and what was even more discouraging was that the original “posterâ€Â
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

A pleasant experience on the forum consists of not havi ng to deal with some people who come from a gene pool where there is no lifeguard! Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear James Bianco I suspect the reason why your negative comments about my persopn may be that I had to correct the faulty and incorrect information you provided to readers of this forum and now your twitching. Peter
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

ptimber wrote:Dear James Bianco I suspect the reason why your negative comments about my persopn may be that I had to correct the faulty and incorrect information you provided to readers of this forum and now your twitching. Peter
What was that? I posted a link to an index to Hamburg passenger lists, which you pointed out was not comprehensive and a pay site. That was perfectly fine, and I have no problem with that. It is your horrible attitude and insults I take offense to. They keep coming and coming. Like this beauty:

(PTIMBER)GET IT THRU THAT HEAD THAT THISAN IS OLDER AND DOES NIOT HAVE THE HEAD FOR THIS B.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You cannot be this obtuse or are you just a kid? Peter

Jim Bianco
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The persopn to whom it was addressed could not understand that the inquirer had no interest or capacity to conduct her own research and she was under the impression that the inquierer was "learning". As for the typing, I am too fast for my own fingers and do not subscribe to common grammar usage when I wish to make a point which is what I did!!!!!!!!!!.I demand excellence for myself and I expect excellence from the people I am opbliged to xconsider as my peers.....some are no better than a slice of Mozzarella cheese...soft,moist and bland.

The rush on the part of some to rush to the unwanted aid of a volunteer here exercise the faulty premise that somehow intrusion is rationalized as "working together" when, in effect, it is nothing more than a nuisance to the dialogue between and inquirer and the respondent. If I know that I cannot assist someone I say so and defer to others but sometime others do a dance of the seven veils and consider typing artistry an answer. They drool all over themselves furnishing informationinstead of teaching people to teach themselves to conduct research on their own. It appears to be mor eimportant for them to seek out public adulation instead of giving people a chance to learn to walk on their own!! Peter
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by girty »

WHY ALL THE INSULTS..THIS IS A FORUM..IF I ASK A QUESTION I MAY GET MORE THAN ONE ANSWER.. AND IT IS UP TO ME TO DECIDE WHICH WAY I WILL GO. THERE IS NO NEED TO INSULT SOMEONE WHO GIVES DIFFERENT INFORMATION. IN THE LONG RUN IT IS THE PERSON ASKING THE QUESTION TO DECIDE WHAT TO DO... TIME TO GROW UP PEOPLE[/b]
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

girty wrote:WHY ALL THE INSULTS..THIS IS A FORUM..IF I ASK A QUESTION I MAY GET MORE THAN ONE ANSWER.. AND IT IS UP TO ME TO DECIDE WHICH WAY I WILL GO. THERE IS NO NEED TO INSULT SOMEONE WHO GIVES DIFFERENT INFORMATION. IN THE LONG RUN IT IS THE PERSON ASKING THE QUESTION TO DECIDE WHAT TO DO... TIME TO GROW UP PEOPLE[/b]
Well said.. :)
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I agree with yoi wholeheartedly and thats why I provide the direction and you do the research. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Wow, what drama. Here I am going to class and learning Italian, and trying to figure out verbs, and I miss all the fun.

Still no one has told me where to find this professional reliable help... :lol:
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Peter thinks so highly of their book, here is their website.....

if you are truly interested in hiring someone to do research
than you can link from the following.........

http://www.italroots.com/

wldspirit
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Thanks Wldspirit!

I feel so limited with my Italian research, there is nothing more I myself can do without actually getting on a plane and going to Italy..
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Of course if you go to a library and buy/borrow an Italian grammar book and every other day do one chapter and study it and ask questions here you can make rogress without knowing it!!!! I mean there is such a powerhouse of knowledge oozing out of the seams in this forum you can't help but learn. Just remember MEMORIZE and PRACTICE, Peter
MariaHolmes

Post by MariaHolmes »

I am interested in this service, what are the approx timescales for when it will be available? Thank you.