Not a "brick wall" but the "GREAT WALL of Chi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Not a "brick wall" but the "GREAT WALL of

Post by Gina501 »

I cannot find his grave. Is there a trick to it? Also, how do I go about looking for obituaries? I have searched every which way I can think of and still find nothing.
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

http://ignaziogenealogy.com
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Gina501 wrote:I cannot find his grave. Is there a trick to it? Also, how do I go about looking for obituaries? I have searched every which way I can think of and still find nothing.
Gina,

Do you mean you have searched in newspapers. Actually looked at the days that his obit should have been in. Did you write to a library and request an obit. Please be specific in how you have searched.

Debbie
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

I have searched all over the internet for the obit. Nothing. I tried the NY Public Library. They can't find the obit (or are not willing to help much). Anything else I should try?
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Gina,

If you tried the Find a Grave site (link above), go to the forum section and sign up. Then you can post an inquiry in the city of death and maybe someone can help you there. Maybe they can help you better then the people at the people at the Public Library.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Gina.......

Prior to the 1930's, obits for common folk were not usual. A man from a town that was upper society might have an entire column in the paper. But the milkman would be lucky to be mentioned, never mind have an actual obituary. Only after the 1930's do you start to see them used more and more for the general populace.

Sometimes there is a two line notice of funeral times, but nothing in depth. There are exceptions to all of this, of course. So I think you will be more successful looking for a death record, a cemetery record. Also check out those city directories.

Hope it works out!
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Yes, thanks. That explains it. It was prior to 1930s. But thanks for the info!
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

I have not looked at this post in a long time. After reading it today, I realize that I need to update it.

I have, indeed, found Carmeloni. He is actually Ignazio Carmeloni. I have to give a HUGE thank you to Biff. He was a tremendous help when this thread started. I was new and didn't know anything. The death record Biff found was correct - April 1925 in New York. The passenger list Biff found was correct - Mar 15 1905. The censuses Biff found were all correct. And most importantly, the WWI draft card Biff found was correct.

After writing to Varzi and Pecorara, I had no luck finding his birth record. HOWEVER, with the knowledge I gained from this forum I wrote to Piacenza for his military record and actually found it. The birthdate was correct but he was born in Pavia. From there, Riccardo was able to obtain for me his birth record from Pavia within 2 days. Amazing. Now Riccardo is trying to find out any information he can on the birth parents, since Ignazio was given to a home after his birth by a midwife. I will post anything further that Riccardo is able to find.

Thanks!
Gina

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Such exciting developments, you just better keep us posted!!

:D
maenadpl

Post by maenadpl »

COCOZZA PANETTA CAPALDI
our grandfather, Giovanni (John) Cocozza came to UK after 1901 and before 1911 Census, with his half or step brother with surname PANETTA.
They lived in Bristol, mainly around the Italian quarter of St. James's, Montague St/Harford St. etc. He sold bananas from a cart and was a street musician playing the penny whistle.
January 1914 Giovanni's 3rd child, Violetta Coelestis, was christened; her godmother was CARMELA CAPALDI from Montague St. Relative or friend?
1911 Census Giovanni Cocozza wrote he came from Italy, Valle Z....
1925 he died in Bristol. Has anyone any info?
maenadpl@bigpond.com.au
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Gina501 wrote:
It is very sad. I feel like I need to find him, to give his life meaning, and for his memory to carry on. No one remembers anything about him in my family. All his children (my grandfather and his siblings) are all gone...
I know exactly what your saying as Im battling to find info on my own GG grandfather. I have some info but not everything that I need or want. I have other ancestors just as far back as him that I know stories about, their hobbies, what they looked like, etc. But I dont have much of that for this one. Its very frustrating. I want the info for citizenship but also I feel compelled to know what my family was like and the sacrifices they made in order for me to be here. All I can do now is remember them in prayer.

Alicia
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

Could this be him? I entered it in as Ignazio Carmeloni

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/match ... &dwpdone=1
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.