Origins of the name Testa and Venditti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Re: Origins of the name Testa and Venditti

Post by uantiti »

allitalian1 wrote: He has gone by so many first names. Angelantonio, Anthony and now, Tony. Does this mean anything?

John
The name Angelantonio is the result of joining two first names: Angelo and Antonio. What happens usually with long names is that people start to shorten them. In Italy he would have been just Angelo or Antonio or Toni. In the States, Anthony and Tony were probably easier to pronounce and more "americanized".

Ada
allitalian1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by allitalian1 »

I am unable to locate what happended to Antoinette, my fathers sister. All other family members such as his mon, dad and brother I have found and have verified them through death records. I cannot find or figure out what happened to Antoinette.

Can anyone please help with this.?

Thanks,

John
allitalian1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by allitalian1 »

Misbris, Nuccia and John A:

Can you help with this or lead me in the right direction?
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Don't know if you have seen this?

http://www.stmichaelshomeforchildren.com/
allitalian1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by allitalian1 »

Yes, I found that last week. It lacks a surname search or any search for that matter.

Nice pictures of the eras gone by.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

I have found a couple of headstones. If Antonetta's parents married in 1924 I thought this might be a possibility as to why you can not find her.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... id=7576646&

This is also a headstone but her birth (1924) could fit.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=19725527&

Don't know if this helps or not.
allitalian1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by allitalian1 »

It helps as it starts me up in another direction. Thank you for the help.

Do you think Venditti was her marriage name? or her birth name?

John
allitalian1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by allitalian1 »

Any news or thoughts on this?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I believe DeGregorio was her birth name and Venditti was her marriage name.
John Armellino
allitalian1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by allitalian1 »

Thanks, John. If that is true, it cannot be her. Her mom was a Testa and her dad a Venditti. Do you have any ideas on this?.

Back to the drawing board!!
allitalian1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by allitalian1 »

Good news:

During my last reply, I failed to remember that Antoinette was placed into St. Michaels Home in Staten Island in approximately 1929. She went in as Antoinette Venditti. If she were adopted, her name could very well be, DeGregorrio. Time to research that. I can use all the help you can offer!!
allitalian1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by allitalian1 »

In trying to locate, Filomena's mother, Antoinette (antonia) Venditti, I found that on Ancestry.com, her last name was listed as Venditto,not Venditti. I know this is her as her husband is listed as Angelantonio Testa.

Another great discovery!. I am starting to feel like McGyver!!!!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to follow this thread and while I get the gist of the whole thing, I am a bit confused because we seem to keep jumping between persons and information. John, is there anyway to do a recap here of the confirmed information found? There are five pages of info and its hard to keep reading through all five pages to figure out where you are at.

Another thing..don't get too hung up on ages. Most Italians lied about their ages for several reasons. They didn't trust the census takers, someone else filled out the information or they just didn't think it was really a big deal so a few years differences in ages is not a deal, especially if everything else fits. The only way to really confirm ages is to write to the town of birth and request the birth records for the individuals you seek giving them a range to look through. Or as was mentioned earlier, rent the microfilms from the FHC and try and locate the records yourself. Also, ship manifests almost always round up or down the year of birth. The comune in Italy will also identify the year the person seized to become a citizen of that comune (just request the record for applying for dual citizenship status). My dad's listed the date right to tee.

Is is possible that when Bernardo abandoned the family he changed his name? It was not an uncommon thing to do and hardly ever was paperwork needed to do this. They just went around and gave their names as something else (I had an uncle do this to get away from his ex wife).
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Not sure if this information has already provided (I have had to start from the beginning to sort it all out) but Lucia Testa( indexed as Vesta for the actual manifest, but the detainment record shows her as Testa), one of Antonio and Antonia's daughters, arrived on 11 Apr 1907 with her aunt, Elisabetta Testa, who also married a Venditti aboard the Roma. I assume Elisabetta is Antonio's sister although I haven't confirmed that yet. Lucia married a Patrick Priminad (?).I am a chart everything kind of person - otherwise, nothing makes sense to me (as you say, you start seeing double). While going through the records, census manifests, etc, I think you should safely assume that the family DID arrive in 1907.

In 1930, Giuseppe is living with his mother, a widow, but he was also married. His wife appears to be missing from the census though. Carmine (Carmen) married an Irish girl, Rose. He died in 1973. I will try to work on what I can but need to step out a bit later..hopefully doing one family at a time we can track down the info you seek.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

allitalian1 wrote:It helps as it starts me up in another direction. Thank you for the help.

John
My apologies John for not checking the thread after I posted. The first headstone - surname would be correct it was the death of a child (1 year) so not old enough to get married.

Second headstone - my thought on that was she was possibly buried under her given surname. My grandmother (who married a Mangiardi) was buried here in the USA under her given surname of Tedeschi following italian tradition.

Maybe it's possible to contact the cemetries and get the particulars on those two grave sites.

And again, my apologies for not responding sooner.

Elizabeth