No Naturalization record requirements

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Re: No Naturalization record requirements

Post by Donald66 »

I've got the no records letter from NARA & am waiting for the USCIS no records letter.

Do I need a state/county no record letter?

If so, where do I get the letter in Connecticut?
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

johnnyonthespot wrote:My one and only just turned 24. Thank goodness!

On the other hand, he is currently serving in Afghanistan with 9-10 months yet to go. Sleep doesn't always come easily these days...
I am not sure I would be able to sleep at all...
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Mule,
Your lucky your the dad while doing this. The kids are probably with their mommy. I have to wait for my husband to be home form work to pass them onto him to get a break. Or at least wait for nap time and the others are on the bus to school :)

Carmine,
I will pray for you son and I mean that with the most sincerity. My husband was in the Marine Corp. We highly value all our "boys" over there. And I pray for them regularly. Your son is only 7 years younger than me. Sounds like a brave boy to be proud of!

Alicia
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Donald66 wrote:I've got the no records letter from NARA & am waiting for the USCIS no records letter.

Do I need a state/county no record letter?

If so, where do I get the letter in Connecticut?
They want documents on all 4 levels..USCIS, NARA, state and county. Contact your state office to see if they hold naturalization records. I know NJ doesnt. The files stayed at the county level. Then send a request to the county he lived in when he would have naturalized, if he did at all. Its best to have all 4 documents saying "no record"

Alicia
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

DeFilippis78 wrote:Your lucky your the dad while doing this. The kids are probably with their mommy. I have to wait for my husband to be home form work to pass them onto him to get a break. Or at least wait for nap time and the others are on the bus to school :)
Nope not that kind of lucky. I have been without work since late 2004. :( I am home with my kids all day, they are just about school age, well missed 1st grade cut off, they are 6 (twins)... I make calls with my boy crying in the background, you just have to do what is required... :) You have got to WANT it... ;) Maybe if I can get this citizenship and get us moved to Italy, my kids can enjoy grade 1 in Italy ;) Hope they can learn more Italian more quickly.... lol
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I take that back. You dont sound so lucky ;) But I totally understand the kids screaming in the background while on the phone. I really do want it, Im just afraid to get too excited about it. Because if it should not work out Id be devastated. I had another link from a different grandfather and I was sure I was eligible. Turns out he naturalized just 4 months before my grandfather was born!!! Talk about disappointment. To make the pain even worse...he naturalized on my birthday!

Alicia
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Do any of the Connecticut members know where I can obtain a state "No Records" letter?

I inquired at the Town Clerk's Office in Greenwich & they had no idea what I was talking about. My Grandfather was a resident of Greenwich from 1898 til his death in 1949.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Johnnyonthespot,
God bless you and your one and only!! I thank him or her for their service, sacrifice and patriotism. I will pray for a safe return.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Just got off the phone with the CT State Archives Office in Hartford, ALL CT Naturalization records were transferred to the NARA office in Mass. years ago. They have no naturalization records in State. :(
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Ask if they can send you a letter stating that they dont carry the naturalization records. That way you have proof you contacted them but they dont have any records. Thats what I did.

Alicia
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

DeFilippis78 wrote:Ask if they can send you a letter stating that they dont carry the naturalization records. That way you have proof you contacted them but they dont have any records. Thats what I did.

Alicia
I asked for a letter, they said "no problem"
Keeping my fingers crossed.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Thats what I did with NJ. I have a letter from the state saying they dont have any naturalization records at all. Then I got from the county saying there was no record of naturalization. I also got a letter from NARA saying they checked all district courts and local courts with no success. Now Im waiting for USCIS and Im hoping all 4 will be enough.

Alicia
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Hello All! Thanks for sharing your knowledge - you are so informative!

What do you think my chances are with the NYC Consulate if I have No Records Found fom NARA, USCIS, and all the neighboring county clerk offices - However - mg gfather's 1930 census notes NA. (And my mom was boen AFTER 1930.) Can't a census be wrong?

Also - does anyone know what the wait time is for scheduling an appointment? How backed up is the NY Consulate?
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

A census could be wrong. My GG grandmothers census says she naturalized in 1890 but she didnt even come here until 1901! It also said she was married for 20 years and she really was only married about 4! Thats why its important to have as many "no record" letters and censuses for the consulate to compare. But your at their mercy as to how much they want you to provide. Im not sure about the wait time in NYC. But the wait time in Philly for me right now is 15 months. The only way to know for sure what they need or want is to get an appointment and see what they say.

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

taxi55 wrote:...
What do you think my chances are with the NYC Consulate if I have No Records Found fom NARA, USCIS, and all the neighboring county clerk offices - However - mg gfather's 1930 census notes NA. (And my mom was boen AFTER 1930.) Can't a census be wrong?
Yes, censuses can be wrong and often are on at least some facts (spelling of names in particular).

The problem is, it appears the consulates and the Italian government have been burned one time too many by an applicant whose ancestor supposedly did not naturalize only to learn later that not only did he actually naturalize but that it resulted in a broken bloodline.

That 1930 census is going to cause you a lot of grief. Do you have his death certificate yet? There should be a spot on there which indicates his citizenship - what does it say?

You may have done so already, but if you don't mind telling us again, what was his name, date of birth, and place of residence during the 1920's?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)