No Naturalization record requirements

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: No Naturalization record requirements

Post by PeterTimber »

www.naturalizationrecords.com is an excellent source but a more direct source by name is a paying site www.footnote.com which offers a free trial period and/or a pay as you go alternative. =Peter=
~Peter~
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

priere wrote:
Donald66 wrote:Do all states have a "Long Form" death certificate?
If so, where can I get a Connecticut Death Certificate, Long Form?
I got my great grandparents (both of whom lived and died in CT) long form death certificates through vitalchek. For the 'type' of record requested make sure to select 'Apostille' and you will get long forms for all types of certificates in CT.

Note I also did the same for MA and got a long form for that as well. For NY I just had to select 'Long Form' from the dropdown list.
No option for grandson on Vitalchek, can I use "son" as requestor?

The form will be sent without the Apostille, correct?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Drew927 wrote:My granfathers name was Andrea Bongianni born May,15 1896 in Naples.
After arriving in the US in 1921 he lived in Paterson NJ, Schenectady NY and Brooklyn NY before passing away in 1939.

Any info regarding possible Naturalization would be very helpful. I have the NARA letter, and waiting for the USCIS, Passaic county, Schenectady County letters.
Someone on ancestry . com has a family tree posted (click here) for Andrea Bongianni born April 15, 1894, arrived from Napoli January 4, 1921, in Brooklyn for the 1930 census, and died May 14, 1939. Is this your ancestor? Which birth date are you more confidant of, 1894 or 1896?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
Drew927 wrote:My granfathers name was Andrea Bongianni born May,15 1896 in Naples.
After arriving in the US in 1921 he lived in Paterson NJ, Schenectady NY and Brooklyn NY before passing away in 1939.

Any info regarding possible Naturalization would be very helpful. I have the NARA letter, and waiting for the USCIS, Passaic county, Schenectady County letters.
Someone on ancestry . com has a family tree posted ([url=http://trees.<a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a>/tree/10363946/person/-651513237/facts]click here[/url]) for Andrea Bongianni born April 15, 1894, arrived from Napoli January 4, 1921, in Brooklyn for the 1930 census, and died May 14, 1939. Is this your ancestor? Which birth date are you more confidant of, 1894 or 1896?[/quote

Yes, that is my grandfather. I have his estratto dell'atto di nascita and the year is 1894
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Drew927 wrote:Yes, that is my grandfather. I have his estratto dell'atto di nascita and the year is 1894
One thing to note then, this Andrea (father Eugenio, mother Rosina Gaeta) is listed on a typewritten manifest as Borgianni. Any chance this is the correct spelling, not Bongianni?

[edited to add]

This Andrea's wife is Rosa D'Angela. She is approximately 3 years younger than her husband.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
Drew927 wrote:Yes, that is my grandfather. I have his estratto dell'atto di nascita and the year is 1894
One thing to note then, this Andrea (father Eugenio, mother Rosina Gaeta) is listed on a typewritten manifest as Borgianni. Any chance this is the correct spelling, not Bongianni?
Awesome detective work guys, I wish I had subscriptions to all these sites so I could do the same. I love doing the research. :) It is great everyone here is so helpful. I hope Drew finds new and useful information. Good luck...
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
taxi55 wrote:That darn census...
Below is what I refer to as a New Yrok "short form" death certificate. The long form version is a photocopy of the origincal document and contains many, many, more fields.
Thanks. Looks like I have the correct "long forms" for those other ancestors and there is NO citizenship box/field for the 1980's forms I received. I will order my gfather's and see what happens.

If someone filed the Petition for Naturalization, how long did it take to receive approval and US Citizenship? After the Petition, what is the next paperwork I would check to see if someone naturalized?
priere
Rookie
Rookie

Post by priere »

Donald66 wrote:
priere wrote:
Donald66 wrote:Do all states have a "Long Form" death certificate?
If so, where can I get a Connecticut Death Certificate, Long Form?
I got my great grandparents (both of whom lived and died in CT) long form death certificates through vitalchek. For the 'type' of record requested make sure to select 'Apostille' and you will get long forms for all types of certificates in CT.

Note I also did the same for MA and got a long form for that as well. For NY I just had to select 'Long Form' from the dropdown list.
No option for grandson on Vitalchek, can I use "son" as requestor?

The form will be sent without the Apostille, correct?
There should be an option for 'adult grandchild'. I actually used this one for my great grandparents as well as my grandparents (I called vitalchek to find out if i could do this since there is no option for great-grandchild). You may have to speak with them about it when they verify your documentation but it wasn't any problem for me.

And you are correct, these do NOT come with Apostille. They are docs suitable FOR apostille ie: long forms. You will have to send out to the CT SoS for the apostille which is expensive at 40$ a document.

I'm actually going to meet with the consulate first to go over my docs to make sure they are all okay before getting the apostille's since most my docs are CT and it's so expensive.

On edit: I should also note that the docs I selected were via Dept of Health and not the towns. Those are two options that will come up in the vitalchek order. The Dept of Health docs are more expensive but I know those will definitely be acceptable to the consulate from everything I've read.
leash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by leash »

OMG it sounds like such a difficult task in the USA to obtain dual citizenship, i hope it isn like this in Australia, the waiting times for USA seem so long it has taken me 8 months for my 1st appt and thats to only tell me if I qualify for dual citizenship which I am 99.99% sure i do, my only problem will proberly be my nans death certificate in which her fathers name is different but i can get that changed.... Ahhhh... i hope its much easier process in Australial....
Known surnames- Mollica, Alba, Cannella, Secchitano
I would like to research my family history and find out as much as I can =)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

priere wrote:There should be an option for 'adult grandchild'. I actually used this one for my great grandparents as well as my grandparents (I called vitalchek to find out if i could do this since there is no option for great-grandchild). You may have to speak with them about it when they verify your documentation but it wasn't any problem for me.

And you are correct, these do NOT come with Apostille. They are docs suitable FOR apostille ie: long forms. You will have to send out to the CT SoS for the apostille which is expensive at 40$ a document.

I'm actually going to meet with the consulate first to go over my docs to make sure they are all okay before getting the apostille's since most my docs are CT and it's so expensive.

On edit: I should also note that the docs I selected were via Dept of Health and not the towns. Those are two options that will come up in the vitalchek order. The Dept of Health docs are more expensive but I know those will definitely be acceptable to the consulate from everything I've read.
The options on VitalChek vary depending on the document you are ordering and the requirements of each state.

Also, regarding Connecticut: my wife was born in New Haven and we married in Wallingford. I waited over four months to obtain copies of her birth and our marriage certificate from the state, only to find small errors on both. For our marriage certificate, I drove to Wallingford's town hall / city clerk's office where they made the correction instantly and issued me new certified copies. I spoke with New Haven on the phone, determined what they needed from me, then mailed the correction request to them; received new certified copies of her birth certificate by return mail within the week. Both of these locally issued/state apostilled documents were accepted by the NYC consulate.
Carmine

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:

[edited to add]

This Andrea's wife is Rosa D'Angela. She is approximately 3 years younger than her husband.
I believe this is my Grandfather. However, the last name is spelled incorectly. Eugenio is my great grandfather and Andrea did live in melizzano prior to his departure from Naples. The big question is who is Rosa D'Angela. Andrea married Francesca De Vico in Dugenta in October 1920 and they lived in Melizzano. Francesca arrived in the US in March 1921 through Boston. The name Bongianni is the conome on the birth extract. Any Idea's?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Drew927 wrote:I believe this is my Grandfather. However, the last name is spelled incorectly. Eugenio is my great grandfather and Andrea did live in melizzano prior to his departure from Naples. The big question is who is Rosa D'Angela. Andrea married Francesca De Vico in Dugenta in October 1920 and they lived in Melizzano. Francesca arrived in the US in March 1921 through Boston. The name Bongianni is the conome on the birth extract. Any Idea's?
Then I would suggest that this is not your grandfather's manifest. There are many similar names in Italy and it is not unusual to find a document such as a manifest which matches up enticingly closely on 10 out of 11 points. On the other hand, you could have gotten onto the wrong branch of a tree and obtained the wrong birth certificate...

Presuming that you know with certainty your grandmother's name, then the manifest I posted earlier does not apply and neither does the April, 1984 birthdate.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Drew927 wrote:... The big question is who is Rosa D'Angela. Andrea married Francesca De Vico in Dugenta in October 1920 and they lived in Melizzano. Francesca arrived in the US in March 1921 through Boston. The name Bongianni is the conome on the birth extract. Any Idea's?
Francesca's manifest:
Carmine

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
Drew927 wrote:... The big question is who is Rosa D'Angela. Andrea married Francesca De Vico in Dugenta in October 1920 and they lived in Melizzano. Francesca arrived in the US in March 1921 through Boston. The name Bongianni is the conome on the birth extract. Any Idea's?
Francesca's manifest:
This is without a doubt my Grandmothers ship manifest. They did live in paterson, nj before moving to schenectady. The birth record for my Grandfather matches his Death Certificate as does the Marriage extract.

Assuming that the manifest with the name Borgianni is my grandfather, have you seen any other immigrants list someone else as thier spouse?
And would not having a ship manifest effect my application for dual citizenship?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

In reverse order,

1) the ship manifest is useless for your dual citizenship application and,

2) I don't think the Borgianni manifest is your grandfather's. I simply cannot think of any reason why he would list an entirely different person as his spouse, other than the possible intent to "smuggle" her into the US as a favor. Perhaps one of my cohorts here can address the likelhood of such an event.
Carmine