Spinella family from Gioiosa Marea Sicily 1860's-present??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cettaro

Re: Spinella family from Gioiosa Marea Sicily 1860's-present

Post by cettaro »

hello,
My grandmother was Carmella Spinella one of Nicola's daughters. In the 1980's we took her to Gioiosa Marea to see her 5 sisters who were still alive at the time...all have since passed away. I did not know about a sister Maria...we stayed in the farmhouse that Nicola Spinella built in Galbato (in the hills above Gioiosa Maera) and also at Aunt Margarita's apartment in town. She also had a farmhouse in the hills I think at San Leandro . Aunt Grace married her cousin Tony DeLucca and lived in Nicola's farmhouse. The house was given to her by all the brothers and sisters since she was the youngest and not married at the time. She had 3 children, 2 died young and one daughter Tina. After Aunt Grace died, Tina and Uncle Tony sold the farmhouse and moved into town. Both have now passed away. Aunt Rosa was the oldest, 90 I think when I met her and she had married a man named Biviano and had 3 kids and lived in town...she had a farmhouse too I think in San Felippe...Aunt Sara married Sam Spinella - the only other uncle I met...some of the aunts' grandchildren are still are in the area...Aunt Margarita's daughter lives in Toronto and one did stay in Gioiosa Maera...if you go there, stop at the cemetery - there are pictures of Nicola and Nancy on the crypts. I do have pictures of them and the area.
Dbiv21
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dbiv21 »

That's amazing! Do you have any contact information, addresses (farmhouse) or pictures you can send me? I have a few I can show you as well of my grandfather and his brothers and sisters that came over to the US. We do not know much at all about my grandfather Carmen's sisters that stayed in Italy other than their names. I am heading over to Italy and Sicily for my honeymoon in June. Please email me at Dbiv321@gmail.com and i'd love to get your email as well. Thanks so much!

-Dennis
Dbiv21
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dbiv21 »

I know this is a stretch, but I'm trying to find this farmhouse in the hills of Galbato near Gioiosa Marea. It was built by my great grandfather Nicolo Spinella probably in the 1890s. It's no longer in the family, but I believe it's still standing. I'm visiting Gioiosa Marea in May and I hope to find it. I have no address and can't find it on Google Earth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dbiv21
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dbiv21 »

Is anyone familiar with homes in the Hills of Galbato/Gioiosa Marea??
Kimberleycprice

Re: Spinella family from Gioiosa Marea Sicily 1860's-present??

Post by Kimberleycprice »

This may be a bit of help.
My name is Kimberley Spinella, my father and all his side of my family are from Sicily with the name Spinella and still live there. I am in contact with them but don't see them often as I live in England.