Italian citizenship

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Italian citizenship

Post by italy50 »

language is important to communicate properly, but its not crucial for you to be fluent when you first arrive. However, you should be familiar with the Italian vocabulary, simple phrases, and some "basics" of the Italian language. Most Italians are intelligent enough to understand what you are trying to say, if you can manage a few Italian words in a sentence. You can always take a course after you arrive, or you can start now by going to a local high school that offers a course,(mostly free), or even consider enrolling in a course at a college. there may be "home study" courses available also. However, keep in mind that your Italian ancestors had a difficult time learning English, but it didnt stop them from immigrating to the US. They had the courage to face a difficult challenge. For me its different, because I will be a translator, and a midieval archives researcher, which requires not only fluent Italian, but also Latin. I plan on opening an office in Italy. I can translate many simple documents, but estate wills, lengthy divorce court proceedings, etc, have difficult words and phrases, which i am not familiar with. Hence, I will take an advanced language course, especially on legal terminology. Never too old to learn!
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Post by john_dominic »

Italy50,

I called the consulate (after having a little more patience) and it seems they haven't TOUCHED my documents in 9 months!

They said "they're all done. you're in line" (which is where I was in February, therefore they have collected dust the whole time).

The prior consular officer just took a different job internally and no one picked up his job until September!

And, then he had the audacity to say that it takes 5 years to become a US citizen and that I should be happy they are faster than that!

Christ, can this get any worse? :( :( :( :( :(

And what the hell are those stories about people getting it in two weeks?

I swear to God, at this rate i'm going to look like him:

by the time they're done!
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

John,

Thanks for the update. The person who helped me with birth certificates from Italy was in the jurisdiction of the San francisco consulate, and he applied sometime in 2002. after 2 weeks, he received a "package" and a letter. I never did question him as to what was in the package. so, it took them just two weeks to process his documents.

Its easy to get aggravated waiting so long, especially when you hear stories like I just mentioned

Like you, I have been waiting since February.

I am even considering moving, so that I will be under the jurisdiction of another consulate, but I fear it may cause a further delay.

My greatest fear is that they will lose one or more documents, or damage may occur. I don`t know if my documents are in a special file all by itself, where they are safe.

So, my nerves are on edge. I wish that I had another alternative
italy50
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italy50 »

John,

Thanks for the update. The person who helped me with birth certificates from Italy was in the jurisdiction of the San francisco consulate, and he applied sometime in 2002. after 2 weeks, he received a "package" and a letter. I never did question him as to what was in the package. so, it took them just two weeks to process his documents.

Its easy to get aggravated waiting so long, especially when you hear stories like I just mentioned

Like you, I have been waiting since February.

I am even considering moving, so that I will be under the jurisdiction of another consulate, but I fear it may cause a further delay.

My greatest fear is that they will lose one or more documents, or damage may occur. I don`t know if my documents are in a special file all by itself, where they are safe.

So, my nerves are on edge. I wish that I had another alternative