How Recent?

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

How Recent?

Post by darkerhorse »

How recent does a specific ethnicity have to be in your family tree in order to be detected in your DNA?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Re: How Recent?

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 31 May 2021, 22:13 How recent does a specific ethnicity have to be in your family tree in order to be detected in your DNA?
Nearly impossible to determine due to random replication. In some cases many generations, in others, only a few. Average I'd guess is 5 or 6 generations, but could be more or less.

Unfortunately, there isn't a distinct number, and it would be different with every individual...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I think I heard four generations back once.

I suppose it's possible to be "Italian" by paper trail but not by DNA, and vice versa.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 04:16 I think I heard four generations back once.

I suppose it's possible to be "Italian" by paper trail but not by DNA, and vice versa.
And to create further confusion, Sicily was an even bigger melting pot. Greeks, Arabs, Balkans, Spanish, North Africans, Anatolians, even Celts, Romani and Vikings. Of course, Europe is somewhat of a melting pot in general. There have been so many migrations of different tribes over the centuries that I think in the big picture it's mostly a wild guess at best...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli