Search found 48 matches

by gerald325i
23 Mar 2012, 18:10
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: LaMantia to Argentina
Replies: 23
Views: 20392

Re: LaMantia to Argentina

I cannot make a connection at this time. Where was Eugene born? Because this would tell us if his real name is Eugene or the Italian version. There should be plenty of ship records, and those could probably tell you his origin. Also, there has to be something with his father's name. That would make ...
by gerald325i
18 Apr 2010, 20:57
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: can someone help????
Replies: 29
Views: 19760

Re: can someone help????

OK, looks like you're starting out, too many records that can help you from within the states. Have you ever tried Ancestry.com? I see info above that you should be able to find there, like social security records, census, Ellis Island records, etc. Then you can narrow to each specific person going ...
by gerald325i
11 Feb 2010, 21:26
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Simone [Prestisimone?] of Cefalu, Sicily
Replies: 15
Views: 19130

Re: Simone [Prestisimone?] of Cefalu, Sicily

Donald, any progress with the Prestisimone?
by gerald325i
11 Feb 2010, 21:06
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: grecos/testas from chefalu to new orleans during 1880s/90s
Replies: 6
Views: 7330

Re: grecos/testas from chefalu to new orleans during 1880s/9

I looked at the database again and it is incomplete and made by those who are searching a particular last name in a particular date. There is nothing for births in 1863 or for the Testa last name.

I only combed the database for Greco and for specific people of my tree.

But you have the dates and ...
by gerald325i
11 Feb 2010, 20:50
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: grecos/testas from chefalu to new orleans during 1880s/90s
Replies: 6
Views: 7330

Re: grecos/testas from chefalu to new orleans during 1880s/9

You said: Francisco Pasquale GRECO, bn: 12 May 1863 in Cefalu. s/o Salvatore and (G)iuseppa CERNGILIA.

My database has this:
1964474 1870 172 Greco, Rosaria Salvatore Greco fu Calogero Cerniglia, Giuseppa fu Salvatore
1964474 1867 157 Greco, Rosa Salvatore Greco di Calogero Cerniglia, Giuseppa fu ...
by gerald325i
11 Feb 2010, 19:23
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: CASSATA and LAMANTIA help
Replies: 5
Views: 6142

Re: CASSATA and LAMANTIA help

If you are willing to spend some money, Ancestry.com has a somewhat new service (Expert Connect) by which you can pay someone to do the research you need, which in your case is easy to do, because you have the location and the date.
by gerald325i
29 Nov 2009, 08:18
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: LaMantia to Argentina
Replies: 23
Views: 20392

Re: LaMantia to Argentina

Livio, thanks again and sorry abt the other post under document and translations...won't do that again!

Peter, you can always ski at sea level in Dubai or Tokyo...only two places I know have indoor ski areas but there must be many more!
The one in Dubai is state of the art and makes real powder ...
by gerald325i
29 Nov 2009, 08:02
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Need help translating this birth record in Latin
Replies: 3
Views: 4865

Re: Need help translating this birth record in Latin

Thank you both then and sorry about the repost. I felt as my original post had been inserted in the wrong forum judging by the answers given by other people who would rather post something unuseful than nothing.

Going back to the translation, this is then a baptism record! WOW!

And it gives me an ...
by gerald325i
28 Nov 2009, 22:20
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Need help translating this birth record in Latin
Replies: 3
Views: 4865

Need help translating this birth record in Latin

I need help translating this birth record, it looks like a church record to me but not sure if it is a baptism record or not.

It is from Nissoria, Enna, FHL Film # 2213578, #99/1899 page 419

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8660/detail.jpg

I am reposting this from the general forum where it is ...
by gerald325i
28 Nov 2009, 22:04
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: LaMantia to Argentina
Replies: 23
Views: 20392

Re: LaMantia to Argentina

Peter, I think I was the LDS "regular" in ABQ who could read these in Italian, but not in Latin :(

In either case, you got me, I am currently living in...ehem! Pisa, Italy...rather stationed here now and not at Kirtland if you know what I mean...

But you're right, there is an LDS chapter here ...
by gerald325i
28 Nov 2009, 18:23
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: LaMantia to Argentina
Replies: 23
Views: 20392

Re: LaMantia to Argentina

Here is the link, I guess the upload function is not working here.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8660/detail.jpg

As for finding a Spanish speaking person...I am fluent and highly proficient, and also in Italian...but this is no qualification to translate this text!

It is handwritten and hard ...
by gerald325i
28 Nov 2009, 09:48
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Help wanted from Argentina
Replies: 40
Views: 26804

Re: Help wanted from Argentina

If you need help in drafting a letter, I grew up in Argentina and can help you translating. I also have used a company that searches for records in Argentina at a fee
"Raices Italianas" <raices_italianas@yahoo.com.ar>

I can help you with an e-mail to them too asking for an estimate.
by gerald325i
28 Nov 2009, 09:37
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: LaMantia to Argentina
Replies: 23
Views: 20392

Help translating birth/church record from latin

I need help translating this birth record, it looks like a church record to me but not sure if it is baptism.

It is from Nissoria, Enna, FHL Film # 2213578, #99/1899 page 419

See file attached
by gerald325i
27 Nov 2009, 21:56
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: LaMantia to Argentina
Replies: 23
Views: 20392

Re: LaMantia to Argentina

I have not tried that yet, for now I don't see the need, since birth records are still available. Now that I know WHERE to look, I can get the LDS films. Do you have anything readily available?

Gerald
by gerald325i
27 Nov 2009, 21:37
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: LaMantia to Argentina
Replies: 23
Views: 20392

Re: LaMantia to Argentina

Found! The baptism record for Pietro Paolo La Mantia, son of Vito LaMantia and Lucia Rinaldi in Nissoria, FHL Film # 2213578, #99/1899 (page 419. He was born on 6 August 1899.)

:)
Thanks to Ancestry.com's expert connect and some $$