Search found 31 matches
- 15 Nov 2008, 13:45
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: microfilm's copy
- Replies: 11
- Views: 9152
Re: microfilm's copy
It's a very simple thing to print out records as you find them online. Presumably, it's also quite simple to print a copy in situ.
- 15 Nov 2008, 08:45
- Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
- Topic: I need some help with an Italian word
- Replies: 13
- Views: 12901
Re: I need some help with an Italian word
She is hung up on a phrase, that sounds like 'mia mamma, te me t'puera con gopa, subito'. what she means is that her mum will be worried about her. But she's 90 and has Alzheimer's and probably has it all mixed up. Anyway, this phrase is repeated over and over again so we all know it, and know what ...
- 14 Nov 2008, 20:22
- Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
- Topic: I need some help with an Italian word
- Replies: 13
- Views: 12901
Re: I need some help with an Italian word
Well you learn something every day. I shall have to ask her why she says upstairs when she means over there. Mind you she does have Alzheimer's.
- 14 Nov 2008, 12:09
- Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
- Topic: I need some help with an Italian word
- Replies: 13
- Views: 12901
Re: I need some help with an Italian word
My partner's mother is 90 and speaks a Neapolitan dialect as well as English. These days the two get very mixed up. She constantly used the phrase (and I'm spelling it phoenetically) 'con gopa' for 'over there' or 'over here'.
- 14 Nov 2008, 08:11
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Italian Surnames: Last Letter Interchangeable?
- Replies: 19
- Views: 22273
Re: Italian Surnames: Last Letter Interchangeable?
In my search for the name Carotenuto I have found it written in a variety of ways, some of which, if it weren't for other factors that prove to me that they are the same people, are totally different to others. Examples might be Carodonudo, Caratamito, Carotonoto, Carunoddni etc.... Poor literary ...
- 14 Nov 2008, 07:58
- Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Neopolitan 'fairy' stories/mythical creatures etc.
- Replies: 3
- Views: 6127
Re: Neopolitan 'fairy' stories/mythical creatures
Goodness! Thanks for that. I had never heard of him, but it is good to find the stories. Thank you so much
- 13 Nov 2008, 20:00
- Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Neopolitan 'fairy' stories/mythical creatures etc.
- Replies: 3
- Views: 6127
Neopolitan 'fairy' stories/mythical creatures etc.
I'm hoping to find out about mythical stories, fairy stories, bogey men, etc... from the Naples area. You know the kind of thing - stories passed down from mother to child about the little people, or the heroes, or evil doers. Superstitions etc... Or just tall tales that have stood the test of time ...
- 13 Nov 2008, 11:59
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Italians in London
- Replies: 4
- Views: 5135
Re: Italians in London
Thanks, yes. Filomena was the sister of my partner's mother. Filomena died when she was a baby.
- 13 Nov 2008, 08:44
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Need a look up in New York
- Replies: 32
- Views: 21895
Re: Need a look up in New York
Ah well. thank you very much for all you have done. I have made progress!
- 12 Nov 2008, 22:19
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Need a look up in New York
- Replies: 32
- Views: 21895
Re: Need a look up in New York
I cannot find the wife Rosie (could be Rosa, Rosetta, Rosina, Rosanna) entering via Ellis Island even trying all variations of Carotenuto. I think she may have given her maiden name and I don't know what that is.
Are there any other passports for Luigi's (Louis, Louie) Carotenuto (any spelling ...
Are there any other passports for Luigi's (Louis, Louie) Carotenuto (any spelling ...
- 12 Nov 2008, 21:25
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Need a look up in New York
- Replies: 32
- Views: 21895
Re: Need a look up in New York
thank you for that. It answers some questions.
firstly I should tell you that I've just had a conversation with Netta - my partner's sister (it is my partner's family) and Gaetano was often called Tom or tommie by relatives. He was known as Tonino when he was little. Fits with the Thomas name.
Also ...
firstly I should tell you that I've just had a conversation with Netta - my partner's sister (it is my partner's family) and Gaetano was often called Tom or tommie by relatives. He was known as Tonino when he was little. Fits with the Thomas name.
Also ...
- 12 Nov 2008, 18:21
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Need a look up in New York
- Replies: 32
- Views: 21895
Re: Need a look up in New York
Do you think I could look at the original page for that Luigi? You gave me a link to the other one that was very useful. If I could look at this new Luigi I could check out other stuff on the page.
thanks
thanks
- 12 Nov 2008, 16:42
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Need a look up in New York
- Replies: 32
- Views: 21895
Re: Need a look up in New York
Now this is an interesting family. Two children, both born in New York. Josie could be the Anglicised version of Giuseppina as in the UK she was always called Jessie. Thomas though... no way can you make Gaetano into Thomas. The others in the house... they were also Italians but also had Anglicised ...
- 12 Nov 2008, 14:30
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Need a look up in New York
- Replies: 32
- Views: 21895
Re: Need a look up in New York
Yes. Gaetano and Guiseppina born in New York (or so they always said) in 1898. They were taken to Italy when they were babies and brought up by their Aunt. I do not know who their mother was, but we do know she died when they were babies. Their father married at least once, possibly twice more ...
- 12 Nov 2008, 12:16
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Need a look up in New York
- Replies: 32
- Views: 21895
Re: Need a look up in New York
The person I was looking for was Gaetano Carotenuto, who I knew to have a sister called Giuseppina. I knew that his father was named Luigi Carotenuto because I have Gaetano's marriage certificate and he names his father as Luigi.
Luigi married to Carmela was, at the time, the best candidate for ...
Luigi married to Carmela was, at the time, the best candidate for ...