Thanks for that suanj it looks useful. I will give them a try
Francis
Search found 15 matches
- 04 May 2011, 10:19
- Forum: Locations in Italy
- Topic: Naples Archive post 1860s
- Replies: 7
- Views: 2386
- 02 May 2011, 18:54
- Forum: Locations in Italy
- Topic: Naples Archive post 1860s
- Replies: 7
- Views: 2386
Re: Naples Archive post 1860s
It was in the Knapp Diaries that we found the name of the villa as my g g grandfather is the portrait painter mentioned and it is for this reason I am trying to locate it. Bruno found his death certificate for me some time ago.
I realise that it may well not be there anymore but I thought I might be ...
I realise that it may well not be there anymore but I thought I might be ...
- 02 May 2011, 18:17
- Forum: Locations in Italy
- Topic: Naples Archive post 1860s
- Replies: 7
- Views: 2386
Re: Naples Archive post 1860s
Thanks for your reply suanj. The villa I am searching for is Villa Gatti Pardiselio or Yutta (depending on which document I take it from) on the hill of Posilipo.
I am going to Naples in June and would like to visit it if possible so I would like to know where I could consult old maps or census ...
I am going to Naples in June and would like to visit it if possible so I would like to know where I could consult old maps or census ...
- 02 May 2011, 10:30
- Forum: Locations in Italy
- Topic: Naples Archive post 1860s
- Replies: 7
- Views: 2386
Naples Archive post 1860s
I am trying find the location a villa in Posillipo (near Naples) in the 1870s. The Archive in Naples only covers pre-unification. I understand that after that time the information is held in Archivio di Stato di Napoli. Does anyone know where this is?
I did hear it was closed for rebuilding a couple ...
I did hear it was closed for rebuilding a couple ...
- 07 Mar 2010, 12:00
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Norfolk Virginia archive
- Replies: 0
- Views: 1698
Norfolk Virginia archive
Hello everyone
Does anybody know if there is any archive material available for the 19th century naval movements in Norfolk Virginia?
My g g grandfather seems to have arrived from Italy on a US warship in the 1830s and I would like to know a little more about this mysterious method of arrival if ...
Does anybody know if there is any archive material available for the 19th century naval movements in Norfolk Virginia?
My g g grandfather seems to have arrived from Italy on a US warship in the 1830s and I would like to know a little more about this mysterious method of arrival if ...
- 10 Jan 2010, 23:26
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Entry to USA 1830s
- Replies: 9
- Views: 5934
Re: Entry to USA 1830s
Thank you very much Johnnyonthespot this will keep me going for a little while. I have got some of these books already. You may like to know he also applied here in the u.k for naturalization in 1846.
Thanks again
Thanks again
- 10 Jan 2010, 13:30
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Entry to USA 1830s
- Replies: 9
- Views: 5934
Re: Entry to USA 1830s
That was quick! Thanks for the emmigration douments and the book references. He was indeed a artist. I am familiar with the Carlyle letters but not the books of Emerson/Carlyle correspondence so thanks again for that.
I wonder if there are any naval records in the US that I could investigate?
I wonder if there are any naval records in the US that I could investigate?
- 10 Jan 2010, 11:42
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Entry to USA 1830s
- Replies: 9
- Views: 5934
Entry to USA 1830s
I would like to confirm how my g g grandfather Spiridione Gambardella gained entry to USA in 1830s. He was a political refugee and may possibly have come over on an american naval vessel?
Does anyone know how I can check this out?
He applied for a USA passport to come to England in 1841
I can't ...
Does anyone know how I can check this out?
He applied for a USA passport to come to England in 1841
I can't ...
- 07 Nov 2009, 12:45
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Gambardella
- Replies: 17
- Views: 17952
Re: Gambardella
Thanks again for that additional info.
S.G. had a daughter Julia who was also an artist. On the census her nationality was Italian.
On all the papers I have, he considered himself as neopolitan. He escaped from Italy on a US warship.
I don't know if you have seen the picture of S.G. and son D S-G ...
S.G. had a daughter Julia who was also an artist. On the census her nationality was Italian.
On all the papers I have, he considered himself as neopolitan. He escaped from Italy on a US warship.
I don't know if you have seen the picture of S.G. and son D S-G ...
- 05 Nov 2009, 19:22
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Gambardella
- Replies: 17
- Views: 17952
Re: Gambardella
Thanks jpapad
I did know he was born in Corfu although not whereabouts or exact date but I am not familiar with the Parliamentary Papers you mention - perhaps you could give me some guidance. He was also a naturalised american.
The S in the son's name is Smith - also the surname of the widow that ...
I did know he was born in Corfu although not whereabouts or exact date but I am not familiar with the Parliamentary Papers you mention - perhaps you could give me some guidance. He was also a naturalised american.
The S in the son's name is Smith - also the surname of the widow that ...
- 03 Nov 2009, 21:47
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Gambardella
- Replies: 17
- Views: 17952
Re: Gambardella
Hi Suanj
Thanks for the passport link. I have done a lot of research into my ancestor over the years and I would be interested to know where you got the 1886 date from as my last trace of him was in 1869 in his studio Villa Gatta Paradiselo , Posillipo near Naples from the Knapp Diaries of a US ...
Thanks for the passport link. I have done a lot of research into my ancestor over the years and I would be interested to know where you got the 1886 date from as my last trace of him was in 1869 in his studio Villa Gatta Paradiselo , Posillipo near Naples from the Knapp Diaries of a US ...
- 01 Nov 2009, 15:45
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Gambardella
- Replies: 17
- Views: 17952
Re: Gambardella
Thanks Laura
I actually have a copy of that book and most interesting it is too!
Regards
Francis
I actually have a copy of that book and most interesting it is too!
Regards
Francis
- 01 Nov 2009, 15:41
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Gambardella
- Replies: 17
- Views: 17952
Re: Gambardella
Thanks Livio that is most helpful - I will give it a try
Regards
Francis
Regards
Francis
- 01 Nov 2009, 15:08
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Gambardella
- Replies: 17
- Views: 17952
Re: Gambardella
Thanks for that very speedy response Peter. That was the email address that I used but I did send in English. The link for the Italian form letter seems to have moved. You wouldn't know of another by any chance?
It is nice to know that you have heard of him. He was in Boston in the late 1830s and ...
It is nice to know that you have heard of him. He was in Boston in the late 1830s and ...
- 01 Nov 2009, 11:15
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Gambardella
- Replies: 17
- Views: 17952
Gambardella
Hi from UK
I am trying to find the death certificate for my g.g.grandafther Spiridione Gambardella who was a portrait painter. He returned to Italy from England and my last trace of him was in Posillipo,Naples in 1869 aged 58. We have emailed the Naples Commune without success. Any ideas how I can ...
I am trying to find the death certificate for my g.g.grandafther Spiridione Gambardella who was a portrait painter. He returned to Italy from England and my last trace of him was in Posillipo,Naples in 1869 aged 58. We have emailed the Naples Commune without success. Any ideas how I can ...