I have downloaded a .ged file but find that I can't open it. Is there freeware out there that I can download to help me open the file?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
"GEDCOM, an acronym for GEnealogical Data COMmunication, is a de facto specification for exchanging genealogical data between different genealogy software. " (from wikipedia)
You don't 'open' a GEDCOM file. You 'import' into a Family Tree program. PAF is good but there are lots of others and you may even already own one.
Ann Tatangelo http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
A GEDCOM file is a text file and, as Italysearcher said, the best thing to do is to import it in a Genealogy program, however you may also open it with Notepad, or any other program able to read a text file.
Ann Tatangelo http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.