birth record

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
User avatar
jbp1966
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Nov 2009, 17:53

birth record

Post by jbp1966 »

Apologies in advance - this is a bit convoluted.

My father and I are trying to obtain copies of his birth certificate. He was born in Tripoli, Libya in 1932. He immigrated to the US in 1957, leaving from Naples, Italy. He became a US citizen in 1998. He has dual Italian/American citizenship. My father was told in 1998 all of his vital records (birth, marriage, etc) would be kept in the Registrar of Vital Statistics in Naples because since he was not born in Italy, the city he left Italy from when he came to the US would be the appointed city to hold his records. I paid a service to get his birth records from the aforementioned Naples office, but they did not have it. They did, however, have a copy of his Marriage Certificate from the US. I emailed the Italian Consulate in Tripoli requesting information about my father's birth certificate a few days ago. I've not yet received a reply.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas to share with me on how to proceed? Anything would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

jp
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: birth record

Post by PeterTimber »

Italian births in Tripoli were recorded at the Italian Consulate in 1932 as you state and perhaps your e-mail written in Italian language requesting documents filed in 1932 for documents that may be archived inthe consular vaults may take time to come to light by consular employees. If You do not hear anything at the end of two weeks perhaps a letter to the Consulate asking when you may expect to hear from them concerning your e-mail request may be appropriate. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
jbp1966
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Nov 2009, 17:53

Re: birth record

Post by jbp1966 »

Thanks for the info, Peter. That is basically my approach since I'm not sure what else to do at this point. My initial email to the Italian Consulate in Tripoli was in Italian, as will be any further communication.

I have a photocopy of my dad's birth certificate that was issued in Tripoli at the time of his birth in 1932. Should I send the consulate a copy of that?

Thanks again,

jp
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: birth record

Post by PeterTimber »

It cannot hurt anything if you do send a copy and will no doubt assist them. Keep me posted. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
jbp1966
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Nov 2009, 17:53

Re: birth record

Post by jbp1966 »

Minor update: I've emailed the Italian Consulate in Tripoli 2 times and have yet to receive a reply to either email. My father submitted via US Mail a request for his birth certificate from Italian Consulate in Tripoli on December 2nd. So now I wait.

My father's birth certificate is the last document I need to submit for my Italian citizenship. All other required documents are translated, with apostille, and ready to submit!

-jbp
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: birth record

Post by PeterTimber »

ABBIA PAZIENZA!! I can appreciate your positon. How many weeks has it been since you last wrote them? =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
jbp1966
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Nov 2009, 17:53

Re: birth record

Post by jbp1966 »

I last wrote them almost 3 weeks ago.

If the birth record is not in Tripoli, where do you suggest I try next?

jbp
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: birth record

Post by PeterTimber »

Let's see what happens first since they have to know where their files are located. =Peter=
~Peter~
gfiorentino
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 05 Apr 2022, 12:24

Re: birth record

Post by gfiorentino »

sorry to dig up this thread again, but i'm also trying to get records from Tripoli, where my Nonno was born. I have his original birth and marriage certificates, but as far as i'm aware (in the London Consulate at least), they keep the records you take to the appointment. I have contacted both the Comune he registered at (Latina) after leaving Tripoli before coming to the UK, and also the now Italian Embassy in Tripoli, to no avail. If you have any feedback on how you got the records you needed it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Post Reply