Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Ok, so I've discovered that it looks as though my gggrandfather submitted a declaration of intention to naturalize back in 1919 but there is no record that he actually went through with it. So my question is where do I go from here?
The petition was filed in a Circuit Court which means I can't request anything from NARA (it directs me to the state court, but I have no idea what I should be requesting from them), and I am a bit confused about what I should be requesting from USCIS. I think the next step is to make a records request via USCIS online, but I want to check before I spend money on something I don't need.
Hoping the fantastic experts on here can give me a bit of help
Good luck. Should be fairly straight forward. Get the index search, then if records are found request the specific record. No records, you submit for the certificate of non-existence of naturalization. I think the new responses from the index search explain how to obtain that now, if not, it is mentioned in many threads if you need it...
VaDeb wrote:USCIS has a record of all naturalizations that occurred after 1906, regardless of the court.
Debbie
What if a person was naturalized before 1906? Where do you get the info. The state my great grandfather lived in doesnt have it. NARA doesnt have it. They said the county would have it.
VaDeb wrote:USCIS has a record of all naturalizations that occurred after 1906, regardless of the court.
Debbie
What if a person was naturalized before 1906? Where do you get the info. The state my great grandfather lived in doesnt have it. NARA doesnt have it. They said the county would have it.
ALicia
Go to the county courthouse for the county in question. You should be able to search their records and get something notarized there in either case, you find the document or you find that "no records" exist.