I'm struggling to find any information on my family from Marsico Nuovo. Anyone have any tips or pointers for me?
My great-grandfather immigrated to the US in the 1890's. I know his parent's names and found a possible brother and cousins listed in a US census record. Cousins' last name is Negro, so I'm also looking for that. God parent's to his (my great-grandfather's) children have the last name of DiNigro... not sure if there's a blood connection there, but it's too similar to dismiss.
I appreciate any thoughts or advice you may have.
Thanks!
Michelle
Marsico Nuovo, Basilicata: Masino & Nasea surnames
- autumn4680
- Rookie

- Posts: 56
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 03:59
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Marsico Nuovo, Basilicata: Masino & Nasea surnames
What sort of information?
If you are interested in information concerning his immigration, post his name here and we can help possilby locate a manifest for his travel to the US; manifests always contain useful little details which can form the basis for further research.
With his name, we may also be able to locate census data for your great-grandfather and his family.
If you are certain of the Marisco Nuovo connection, and presumably know your ancestor's full name and approximate date of birth, you can contact the comune and request his birth and, if appropriate, marriage acts. Lots more data to fuel your research...
If you are interested in information concerning his immigration, post his name here and we can help possilby locate a manifest for his travel to the US; manifests always contain useful little details which can form the basis for further research.
With his name, we may also be able to locate census data for your great-grandfather and his family.
If you are certain of the Marisco Nuovo connection, and presumably know your ancestor's full name and approximate date of birth, you can contact the comune and request his birth and, if appropriate, marriage acts. Lots more data to fuel your research...
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- autumn4680
- Rookie

- Posts: 56
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 03:59
Re: Marsico Nuovo, Basilicata: Masino & Nasea surnames
Jonnyonthespot>
Thanks for the reply! I have his passport and marriage certificate. Both are in Italian, which has proven challenging, but I have extracted some info from them. I have attached JPGs of them here. The marriage certificate gave me his parents name and hometown in Italy.
His full name is Francesco Antonio Masino. He was born 15 Nov 1878 (approximately—I have several sources with conflicting birth years for him). He came to the US in approximately 1894 (again, I have several sources with conflicting years). I am under the impression Frank himself was not entirely sure of his birth year as some of my conflicting sources are in his own handwriting. I also believe he may have traveled back and forth a few times. I have never found him on any ship manifests. He lived in Philadelphia, but I don't know that he arrived via that port.
I found him in US Census Records as early as 1900, which makes sense if he arrived in the 1890's. Ancestry.com has given me a lot of info on him, but it's all state-side. I'm not really sure how to search for him, or his parents, in Italy.
His parents are Giuseppe Masino and Rosarea Nasea.
Thank you for your help!
Thanks for the reply! I have his passport and marriage certificate. Both are in Italian, which has proven challenging, but I have extracted some info from them. I have attached JPGs of them here. The marriage certificate gave me his parents name and hometown in Italy.
His full name is Francesco Antonio Masino. He was born 15 Nov 1878 (approximately—I have several sources with conflicting birth years for him). He came to the US in approximately 1894 (again, I have several sources with conflicting years). I am under the impression Frank himself was not entirely sure of his birth year as some of my conflicting sources are in his own handwriting. I also believe he may have traveled back and forth a few times. I have never found him on any ship manifests. He lived in Philadelphia, but I don't know that he arrived via that port.
I found him in US Census Records as early as 1900, which makes sense if he arrived in the 1890's. Ancestry.com has given me a lot of info on him, but it's all state-side. I'm not really sure how to search for him, or his parents, in Italy.
His parents are Giuseppe Masino and Rosarea Nasea.
Thank you for your help!
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Marsico Nuovo, Basilicata: Masino & Nasea surnames
According to the marriage certificate his parents are Giuseppe Masino and Rosaria Nasca, and according to his passport (released 27 April 1896, when he was 21 years old) he was born in 1875,
You may request the birth act to:
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Municipio
85052 Marsico Nuovo PZ
Italy
You may request the birth act to:
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Municipio
85052 Marsico Nuovo PZ
Italy
- autumn4680
- Rookie

- Posts: 56
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 03:59
Re: Marsico Nuovo, Basilicata: Masino & Nasea surnames
Livio,
Thank you for the address. Will I have any issues writing to them in English?
Michelle
Thank you for the address. Will I have any issues writing to them in English?
Michelle
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Marsico Nuovo, Basilicata: Masino & Nasea surnames
You'd better write in Italian using the form letters available at http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp