Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by liviomoreno »

The surname in the document is definitely Sciandi.
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by Lucap »

helepera wrote:... However, where do we begin ot find Benedetta's town. LOL
I don't remember if you already found their marriage record (but i don't think): you can try with Prizzi's marriage records (it's not sure you'll find something, but it's a start point).

L.
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Thanks Lucap and Livio,

I have much work to do in order to solve the mystery. i looked at Prizzi records on line at LDS and was not ablet o confirm any info Benedetta.
However, after looking through the records of her children, I am sure the priest made a mistake when he entered SCIANDI because all other info matches. I've even searched for both-just in case! I also searched for di Sianne and Sianna. There are no records with the name Sciandi in the thousands of files I've reviewed. And , when reading the records, I've notices that the author has often misrepresented the name. I guess that's what makes this so hard:-)
But, i am always grateful for the help you've provided. Thanks uou again!
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Hello,

I found another reference for Benedetta Spurio Leone.
Marriage Bann for daughter Lucia.
Please translate this sentence which includes: vivente Benedetta Spuria ___?_ Leone ___???__
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... ia1896.png

Thank you!!!!!
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Hi,

This is so confusing because so many names apper in the Banns. I think Giorgio di Giovanni, son of Vito and Caterina Macaluso is marrying Martina Crisenza of the late Vincenzo,and perhaps she is the child of Francesco Crizenza and Francesca Gallina? I am not sure-because that means Vincenzo's name was never mentioned. Am I correct?
It's the left side center entry.
Thank you, again!
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... 90_364.jpg
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by Lucap »

User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Thabks, am I correct in that she was once married to Vincenzo Fasulo?
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by Lucap »

Si
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

L-

Thanks, but what does INTESTA mean (above). Benedetta intesta Leone?
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by Lucap »

INTESA and not intesTa. It's not a usual term (used in this contest): it's the past participle of the verb "intendere" ( http://www.wordreference.com/iten/intendere ) with the meaning of "voler dire" (to mean).

L.
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Hello again.

Please help me with the translation of this Prizzi Bap. Record.

I think the infant's parents are unknown, and she was christened BENEDICTA? - Can you provide the actual translation?

Pls look here for image:
http://s854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/helepera/LDS/
Title: Benedicta

Thank you!
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Hello,

Please translate the last sentence of this record. i am very interested in the wording after Benedicta Spuria_________________________________.

thanks!

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... Prizzi.png
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

I think I found the second page of my above record request. I am now confused because it appears that B., had parents?? Can u advise?

Page 2
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... Prizzi.png

page1
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... Prizzi.png
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by Lucap »

http://s854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/helepera/LDS/

Anno D(omi)ni 1839 Die 24 Novembris
Ego Sac(erdos) D(ominus) Raimundus Benef(iciar)ii Grisaffi Capp(ellan)us Sacr(amenta)lis baptizavi inf(ante)m
cujus parentes ignorantur, hac nocte hora octava in rota inventam, eique
nomen impositum Benedicta. P(atrinus) fuit mag(iste)r Rosarius Dino q(uon)d(a)m M(agist)ri Nicolai.


L'anno del Signore 1839, il giorno 24 di novembre
Io sacerdote beneficiario(!) Don Raimondo Grisaffi, cappellano sacramentale, battezzai una bambina
i cui genitori si ignorano, rinvenuta alla ruota questa notte all'ora ottava, e a lei (fu)
imposto il nome Benedetta. Padrino fu mastro Rosario Dino del fu mastro Nicola
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Grazie.

I'm sorry but I dont understand Italian very well.
In the year of our Lord, 1839, november 24th ---theen somehting about the priest-- baptized a baby girl, parents unknown (is that what it means?).
Then the time is stated at night, when they gave her a name. Godparents are listed.
So, the child's parents are unknown?
thanks!
Post Reply