Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
There is a concern with my wife's last name. There is a space between letters that shouldn't be, so it is causing a concern. No mis-spelling, just a space between an "A" and a "D". I am checking with MA to see what can be done to correct this. The county clerk is right now checking the original and due to call me back in 1 hour. I called MA vital records yesterday after my call, and they didn't indicate there was much they could do about this.
Are you kidding. Might be problem for me then. My maiden name is
De Filippis. But even people in my own family have decided to leave out the space or not capitalize the F. So Im wondering how thats going to work for me because. Its just ridiculous.
There is a concern with my wife's last name. There is a space between letters that shouldn't be, so it is causing a concern. No mis-spelling, just a space between an "A" and a "D". I am checking with MA to see what can be done to correct this. The county clerk is right now checking the original and due to call me back in 1 hour. I called MA vital records yesterday after my call, and they didn't indicate there was much they could do about this.
Are you kidding. Might be problem for me then. My maiden name is
De Filippis. But even people in my own family have decided to leave out the space or not capitalize the F. So Im wondering how thats going to work for me because. Its just ridiculous.
Alicia
I am most certainly not kidding. It would not be overlooked. I asked. It would pose a problem for my marriage certificate which does not show the space. It also does not show the space on the 3 birth certificate for our children. So I am in the process of getting a court order to make the change to the original birth record to remove the space. It is silly, her father, mother, older sister and older brother all have NEVER used a space in their last name. The fact that 2 days after a very difficult birth the mother didn't EXAMINE the hospital birth record in enough detail before just signing it, is causing such an issue. Hopefully I can get this updated soon and with minimal expense and request her BC again, and get it apostille'd again. That will at least clear up one issue. Still need more non-naturalization proofs.
I can only hope the Philly consulate isnt going to be such a stickler. How do you get a court order and what does that cost. Im sure if I dig through my documents Im going to find a space sometimes and other times not. Im wondering if the same would hold true on my fathers birth and death certificate. Mercy!!!
DeFilippis78 wrote:I can only hope the Philly consulate isnt going to be such a stickler. How do you get a court order and what does that cost. Im sure if I dig through my documents Im going to find a space sometimes and other times not. Im wondering if the same would hold true on my fathers birth and death certificate. Mercy!!!
Alicia
Best to ask at the consulate before you get so far along if it will be an issue for you or not. It is a major hassle to get court orders. The cost depends on if you are doing the work or you need to use an attorney.
It depends where your documents originated and the nature of the error. If it is an obvious transcription error, the change is often easily made. Sometimes, however, Vital Records will determine that the entry was not an error and that the applicant is actually seeking a change of name. These are more difficult to correct.
DeFilippis78 wrote:Who told you you need a court order to change the names? I thought it was as easy as contacting vital records and having them fix the errors.
Contact each document's originating signatory and ask for the procedure, it differs from state by state and by case by case... the last state registrar (Mass.) said there was absolutely nothing I could do to fix this space issue. So I told them I would request a court order from a judge to force the change. If they don't uphold the order of the court, they could have consequences and possibly be sued/fined by you.
I feel bad for you. You sound like youve had a hell of a time with this. I just started, so you have me deathly afraid and biting my nails off
Ironically, even thought there should be a space in my name, every document of mine except one, left the space out. Everyone in my family either puts the space or leaves it. No one knows how to spell their name!I always had the space. Now the documents left it out. So I wonder if that will be a problem being I would have the space for a citizenship request. Maybe it doesnt make a difference.
DeFilippis78 wrote:I feel bad for you. You sound like youve had a hell of a time with this. I just started, so you have me deathly afraid and biting my nails off
Ironically, even thought there should be a space in my name, every document of mine except one, left the space out. Everyone in my family either puts the space or leaves it. No one knows how to spell their name!I always had the space. Now the documents left it out. So I wonder if that will be a problem being I would have the space for a citizenship request. Maybe it doesnt make a difference.
Alicia
If you have tons of documents like this, it is best to contact the consulate for guidance. They might overlook it... who knows why they are tough on me... there is also some auto-certification thing that ?Corrado? has mentioned where you certify that this name and that name represent one and the same person. I didn't try that route as I am only trying to fix one document to make all of them match, and it is fairly simple, my wife's birth certificate will make all right with my 3 kids BC and our marriage license...
keep your nails on and take it slow... I have been at this quest for a long time, almost 50% of my life. sad actually that it has taken so long, but I am a happy person, enjoy the process where you can...
Instead of fretting now, Im just going to way until the consulate looks over everything and see if he points it out. Worrying about all this stuff in advance will make me stir crazy. Being married with 4 young kids, while I still am in college AND doing genealogy is enough to make anyone pull their hair out. LOL!
DeFilippis78 wrote:I just got my appt with Philly....June 14th 2011!! Thats a 15 month wait!
Alicia
Yup, gives you time to get your documents in order. I was offered February 2011 back in January. So two months later they are 4 months more backlogged.
I need that time because my "detective" work is a mess. Im actually GLAD its such a long wait for me. By the way, did they give you a time? They just emailed me the day but no time. They said to just respond if I want the date and give my address and phone. Did that happen to you?
Timing, in dealing with bureaucracy is important since they periodically tighten or ease up on their rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
If you sense that there may be a tightening of the adminstrative labyrinth it may pay to pause and wait or go elsewhere where they are not paying attentionto new regulations. =Peter=
But can I go some where else? Dont you have to go to the one that covers your region? And I dont know how I would tell the difference between them getting stricter or looser with laws.Im so new at this I wouldnt know the difference June 2011 is so far away, who knows.