No Naturalization record requirements
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
Carmine,
Do all death certificates mark if they are a citizen? Did that start at a certain time?
Alicia
Do all death certificates mark if they are a citizen? Did that start at a certain time?
Alicia
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
I can only say for certain in regards to my own documents, as follows:DeFilippis78 wrote:Carmine,
Do all death certificates mark if they are a citizen? Did that start at a certain time?
Alicia
My maternal grandfather died in New York in 1961. His "long form" death certificate (photocopy of the original document) has a field labeled, "Citizen of what country: _____" in which is written "USA".
Maternal grandmother died in New York in 1956. I have only a computer printed "short form" death certificate; it does not mention citizenship status.
Paternal grandfather died in New York in 1946. His long form death certificate asks, "Citizen of foriegn country Yes/No: ____" and "If yes, name country: ________"
Paternal grandmother died in New York in 1967. As with my other grandmother, I have only the short form document which does not mention citizenship.
My father died in Florida in 2000. His long form death certificate does not make mention of citizenship status.
In general, I believe that all states collected this data during the period we are mostly interested in.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
I guess its different state to state. My GG grandfathers certificate from NJ in
1918 doesnt make mention of citizenship unfortunately. I just double checked
Alicia
1918 doesnt make mention of citizenship unfortunately. I just double checked
Alicia
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
Thanks - guess it can't hurt to schedule my appointment while I still try to figure out if my relative naturalized...DeFilippis78 wrote:A census could be wrong. My GG grandmothers census says she naturalized in 1890 but she didnt even come here until 1901! It also said she was married for 20 years and she really was only married about 4! Thats why its important to have as many "no record" letters and censuses for the consulate to compare. But your at their mercy as to how much they want you to provide. Im not sure about the wait time in NYC. But the wait time in Philly for me right now is 15 months. The only way to know for sure what they need or want is to get an appointment and see what they say.
Alicia
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
Taxi,
Thats exactly what I did. I have a 15 month wait to get all my papers together. If I should find out Im not eligible, I will just cancel. But at least I have an appointment slot in the mean time. Many people on this forum recommended I get my appointment FIRST than worry about paperwork.
Alicia
Thats exactly what I did. I have a 15 month wait to get all my papers together. If I should find out Im not eligible, I will just cancel. But at least I have an appointment slot in the mean time. Many people on this forum recommended I get my appointment FIRST than worry about paperwork.
Alicia
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
Thanks Alicia. Will do!
Sophia
Sophia
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
That darn census...johnnyonthespot wrote:That 1930 census is going to cause you a lot of grief. Do you have his death certificate yet? There should be a spot on there which indicates his citizenship - what does it say?taxi55 wrote:...
What do you think my chances are with the NYC Consulate if I have No Records Found fom NARA, USCIS, and all the neighboring county clerk offices - However - my gfather's 1930 census notes NA. Can't a census be wrong?
I have not received my ancestor's death record yet. I was going to order on line tonight and realized I need that Letter of Exemplification (don't think I can get that through the on-line service - can I?)
Two death records I just received from Vital check on other ancestors have no citizenship info. (for deaths during the 1980's) but I am not even sure they sent me the "long form." Don't know what the short or long form death certificates look like - are they comparable to the short and long from for NYC Birth records? Other death records I researched in person at the Municipal Archives a couple of weeks ago did have the citizenship field (for deaths prior to 1949.)
Will send you a PM with my ancestor's specific info you requested.
Thanks,
Sophia
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
Does anyone know how many years an individual must have lived in the US before being allowed to apply for Naturalization?
My Grandfather arrived here in 1921 and died in 1939. So far there are no records of naturalization.
Could this time frame help with my proof of no Naturalization?
My Grandfather arrived here in 1921 and died in 1939. So far there are no records of naturalization.
Could this time frame help with my proof of no Naturalization?
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
Below is what I refer to as a New Yrok "short form" death certificate. The long form version is a photocopy of the origincal document and contains many, many, more fields.taxi55 wrote:That darn census...
I have not received my ancestor's death record yet. I was going to order on line tonight and realized I need that Letter of Exemplification (don't think I can get that through the on-line service - can I?)
Two death records I just received from Vital check on other ancestors have no citizenship info. (for deaths during the 1980's) but I am not even sure they sent me the "long form." Don't know what the short or long form death certificates look like - are they comparable to the short and long from for NYC Birth records? Other death records I researched in person at the Municipal Archives a couple of weeks ago did have the citizenship field (for deaths prior to 1949.)
Will send you a PM with my ancestor's specific info you requested.
Thanks,
Sophia
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
Do all states have a "Long Form" death certificate?
If so, where can I get a Connecticut Death Certificate, Long Form?
If so, where can I get a Connecticut Death Certificate, Long Form?
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
I have a long-form NYC Death Certificate from 1975. It DOES include information on citizenship. When I ordered the form from the NYC website, I specifically stated: "long form suitable for apostille-Italy."
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
Yes and its required by the consulate specifically because it has more information. Also, only a long form can be certified and get the apostille seal. Short form is for informational purposes and cant be used for anything legal. Whenever requesting any documents you will need to remember to request the long form. Many states are different but in NJ a person cant request a long form without proving direct relation. Its a pain in the neck. For example, to get a certified copy of my GG grandfathers DC, I have to send them a copy of mine, my mother, my grandmothers and my G grandfathers birth certificates to have any access to GG grandfathers info. So double check that when ordering if you need to prove relation.You should be able to get it right through state vital records.Donald66 wrote:Do all states have a "Long Form" death certificate?
If so, where can I get a Connecticut Death Certificate, Long Form?
Alicia
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
I am not sure about earlier or later, but at that time I believe it was five years.Drew927 wrote:Does anyone know how many years an individual must have lived in the US before being allowed to apply for Naturalization?
My Grandfather arrived here in 1921 and died in 1939. So far there are no records of naturalization.
Could this time frame help with my proof of no Naturalization?
If you haven't done so already, can you share your grandfather's name, date of birth, and place of residence 1921-1939? There are people here who often find things thought not to exist.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
I got my great grandparents (both of whom lived and died in CT) long form death certificates through vitalchek. For the 'type' of record requested make sure to select 'Apostille' and you will get long forms for all types of certificates in CT.Donald66 wrote:Do all states have a "Long Form" death certificate?
If so, where can I get a Connecticut Death Certificate, Long Form?
Note I also did the same for MA and got a long form for that as well. For NY I just had to select 'Long Form' from the dropdown list.
Re: No Naturalization record requirements
My grandfathers name was Andrea Bongianni born May,15 1896 in Naples.
After arriving in the US in 1921 he lived in Paterson NJ, Schenectady NY and Brooklyn NY before passing away in 1939.
Any info regarding possible Naturalization would be very helpful. I have the NARA letter, and waiting for the USCIS, Passaic county, Schenectady County letters.
After arriving in the US in 1921 he lived in Paterson NJ, Schenectady NY and Brooklyn NY before passing away in 1939.
Any info regarding possible Naturalization would be very helpful. I have the NARA letter, and waiting for the USCIS, Passaic county, Schenectady County letters.


