Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Hi! I posted this in another topic, but was hoping maybe someone here might be able to help
Hello! Coming here for a little help if people are able to. I am looking for a marriage record for my great-grandfather and my grandfather's mother so that I can find out what state to request the certificate from. I have access to Ancestry and have been searching every which way I know how. I am pretty sure they were married, but can't seem to find any record and was wondering if anybody might have suggestions on places to search and what to do. His name is Bennie V. Ruffalo (or Ruffolo, I've looked under both) and her name is Doris E. Rittenhouse and they were probably married between 1930 and 1940 but I have no proof at this point.
Also, if they were never married, does anyone know how to go about this for dual citizenship purposes??
It helps those who respond if you can keep the same topic in the same post. This way research efforts are not duplicated.
My advice is to decide where they were most likely living at the time of their marriage and start requesting marriage record searchs if records for the area are not publicly available.
Thanks everyone. I still have not found any record, so I guess my question now is if they were never married, how does this affect my quest to gain dual citizenship? What should my next steps be?
aruffalo wrote:Thanks everyone. I still have not found any record, so I guess my question now is if they were never married, how does this affect my quest to gain dual citizenship? What should my next steps be?
In theory, you (or your ancestor) can be an illegitimate child and still inherit Italian citizenship, so proof of marriage should not be a strict requirement. Much however depeds on the individual consulate where you will submit your application and the strength of your remaining documentation.