Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
I am looking for a photo of an Italian man who was a sidewalk performer in New York City in the 1870's. His name was Giovanni Foppiano and he was a street performer from 1874 - 1878. He would perform with a monkey that would dance and extract lottery tickets from a hat that it would had to passers by. The passersby would then give some coins for the performance.
If anybody has any suggestions of who to contact (other than the Italian Genealogical Group and the New York Historical Society) I'd appreciate the information.
I just came across your post. I have some people that first settled in NYC. I called a couple of places- libraries, historical societies and they were unbelievably nice and helpful!
I wanted to know if the house address in the 1900 census was still the same building or if had been torn down and replaced at some point. They researched the address and gave me the answer. I couldn't believe it!
I would give the libraries / societies a try. Just google them and call.