Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
- birdwatcher
- Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 14:22
Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
I am searching for a friend whose Mom is approaching age 90. Her mother Rosina Guerra sailed on the vessel Roma in October, 1906, from Naples. She was from Cegiano. Also on the vessel were her 2 children Rocco and Salvatore. I would like to find ANY records of this family, to create an album of information, for Mom's 90th birthday. Thank you.
Re: Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
We'd all be happy to help
Valarie
CARRANO/GUERRA
For reference, the 1906 manifest
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/293/1906.jpg
an earlier manifest
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0027
20 Oct 1902, SS Sicilian Prince, Naples to NY
probably lines 25-28
Vincenzo Guerra 28, abt 1874
- joining brother Michele
brother Rocco 17, abt 1885
Rosa Guerra 24, abt 1878
- last residence Teggiano(?) (Salerno, Campania)
- destination Schenectady NY
- joining husband Vincenzo Carrano at 44 Broadway
son Rocco 3, abt 1899
---
for local news, the Fulton Newspaper site should have several articles on the family
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
examples:
Schenectady Gazette
Thursday, 26 December 1963
Obituary
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3642/image0002s.jpg
---
edit: added
Schenectady Gazette
Friday, 16 May 1941
Obituary (not very clear)
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/330/image0002i.jpg
Valarie
CARRANO/GUERRA
For reference, the 1906 manifest
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/293/1906.jpg
an earlier manifest
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0027
20 Oct 1902, SS Sicilian Prince, Naples to NY
probably lines 25-28
Vincenzo Guerra 28, abt 1874
- joining brother Michele
brother Rocco 17, abt 1885
Rosa Guerra 24, abt 1878
- last residence Teggiano(?) (Salerno, Campania)
- destination Schenectady NY
- joining husband Vincenzo Carrano at 44 Broadway
son Rocco 3, abt 1899
---
for local news, the Fulton Newspaper site should have several articles on the family
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html
examples:
Schenectady Gazette
Thursday, 26 December 1963
Obituary
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/3642/image0002s.jpg
---
edit: added
Schenectady Gazette
Friday, 16 May 1941
Obituary (not very clear)
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/330/image0002i.jpg
Re: Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
CARRANO/GUERRA
possible 1930 census
http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/4185/1930t.jpg
next page
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1852/193001.jpg
Home in 1930:
929 Emmett Street
Schenectady, Schenectady, New York
head Robert F Carrano 31, abt 1899 IT
- rents $30
- married age 23, abt 1922
- immig 1901, Na
- motorman, street railway
- military, served in WWI
wife Marian E Carrano 31, abt 1899 NY
head Vincenza Carrano 55, abt 1875 IT
- owns house $7900
- married age 24, abt 1899
- immig 1901, Na
- laborer, foundry
wife Rose Carrano 51, abt 1879 IT
- married age 17
- immig 1907
son Ralph Carrano 21, abt 1909 NY
- photographer, art dept
daughter Sophia Carrano 19, abt 1911 NY
- stenographer, dry cleaner
son Thomas Carrano 14, abt 1916 NY
daughter Mary Carrano 9, abt 1921 NY
---
possible 1920 census
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2893/1920t.jpg
Home in 1920:
215 Bailey Street, rents
Schenectady Ward 9, Schenectady, New York
head Vincent Carrano 47, abt 1873 IT
- immig 1901 Al
- painter, paint shop
wife Rose Carrano 39, abt 1881 IT
- immig 1907
son Robert Carrano 20, abt 1900 IT
- immig 1907
- recruiting office, US Army
son Salvadore Carrano 14, abt 1906 IT
- immig 1907
son Ralph Carrano 11, abt 1909 NY
daughter Susan Carrano 9, abt 1911 NY
son Thomas Carrano 4, abt 1916 NY
---
possible 1910 census
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9572/1910fh.jpg
Home in 1910:
217 Bailey Street, rents
Schenectady Ward 9, Schenectady, New York
head Vincenza Garrone 37, abt 1873 IT
- married 14 years, abt 1896
- immig 1902, Al
- painter electric(?) works
(might be the Edison Machine Works)
wife Romas Garrone 30, abt 1880 IT
- 4 children
- immig 1907
son Rocco Garrone 11, abt 1899 IT
- immig 1902
son Salvador Garrone 4, abt 1906 IT
daughter Sina Garrone 2, abt 1907 NY
son Raphael Garrone 1 6/12, abt 1908 NY
head Vincenza Guerra 36, abt 1874 IT
- shoemaker, own shop
wife Constantine Guerra 28, abt 1882 IT
daughter Maria Guerra 8 IT
son Raphael Guerra 7 IT
son Ange A Guerra 2 NY
son Michael Guerra 6/12 NY
possible 1930 census
http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/4185/1930t.jpg
next page
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1852/193001.jpg
Home in 1930:
929 Emmett Street
Schenectady, Schenectady, New York
head Robert F Carrano 31, abt 1899 IT
- rents $30
- married age 23, abt 1922
- immig 1901, Na
- motorman, street railway
- military, served in WWI
wife Marian E Carrano 31, abt 1899 NY
head Vincenza Carrano 55, abt 1875 IT
- owns house $7900
- married age 24, abt 1899
- immig 1901, Na
- laborer, foundry
wife Rose Carrano 51, abt 1879 IT
- married age 17
- immig 1907
son Ralph Carrano 21, abt 1909 NY
- photographer, art dept
daughter Sophia Carrano 19, abt 1911 NY
- stenographer, dry cleaner
son Thomas Carrano 14, abt 1916 NY
daughter Mary Carrano 9, abt 1921 NY
---
possible 1920 census
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2893/1920t.jpg
Home in 1920:
215 Bailey Street, rents
Schenectady Ward 9, Schenectady, New York
head Vincent Carrano 47, abt 1873 IT
- immig 1901 Al
- painter, paint shop
wife Rose Carrano 39, abt 1881 IT
- immig 1907
son Robert Carrano 20, abt 1900 IT
- immig 1907
- recruiting office, US Army
son Salvadore Carrano 14, abt 1906 IT
- immig 1907
son Ralph Carrano 11, abt 1909 NY
daughter Susan Carrano 9, abt 1911 NY
son Thomas Carrano 4, abt 1916 NY
---
possible 1910 census
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9572/1910fh.jpg
Home in 1910:
217 Bailey Street, rents
Schenectady Ward 9, Schenectady, New York
head Vincenza Garrone 37, abt 1873 IT
- married 14 years, abt 1896
- immig 1902, Al
- painter electric(?) works
(might be the Edison Machine Works)
wife Romas Garrone 30, abt 1880 IT
- 4 children
- immig 1907
son Rocco Garrone 11, abt 1899 IT
- immig 1902
son Salvador Garrone 4, abt 1906 IT
daughter Sina Garrone 2, abt 1907 NY
son Raphael Garrone 1 6/12, abt 1908 NY
head Vincenza Guerra 36, abt 1874 IT
- shoemaker, own shop
wife Constantine Guerra 28, abt 1882 IT
daughter Maria Guerra 8 IT
son Raphael Guerra 7 IT
son Ange A Guerra 2 NY
son Michael Guerra 6/12 NY
Re: Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
CARRANO
Rocco?
Robert Carrano (b 1898)
1916 Canadian WWI Record
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3139/1916.gif
next page
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/6846/191601.gif
Rocco?
Robert Carrano (b 1898)
1916 Canadian WWI Record
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3139/1916.gif
next page
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/6846/191601.gif
Re: Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
Hi, Valarie!
Neat WWI Canadian military record. I've never seen an example before.
I'm guessing that the 5th R.H.C. listed on question 9 on the first page is the 5th Regiment, Royal Highlanders of Canada which was part of the British Army's famous Black Watch. How and why Rocco/Robert became a part of this unit would be interesting to learn.
Following gives a thumbnail history of the unit.
http://www.militaryheritage.com/blackwatchofcanada.htm
Biff
Neat WWI Canadian military record. I've never seen an example before.
I'm guessing that the 5th R.H.C. listed on question 9 on the first page is the 5th Regiment, Royal Highlanders of Canada which was part of the British Army's famous Black Watch. How and why Rocco/Robert became a part of this unit would be interesting to learn.
Following gives a thumbnail history of the unit.
http://www.militaryheritage.com/blackwatchofcanada.htm
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
What a terrific link! Thank you Biff
I'm pretty sure you need an ancestry. ca subscription to view them
Interesting in 1920 that he was a US Army recruiter
I was looking at the Schenectady Genealogy website and found a link with pictures to the Edison companies in Schenectady:
http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/ge/index.html
Valarie
I'm pretty sure you need an ancestry. ca subscription to view them
Interesting in 1920 that he was a US Army recruiter
I was looking at the Schenectady Genealogy website and found a link with pictures to the Edison companies in Schenectady:
http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/ge/index.html
Valarie
- birdwatcher
- Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 14:22
Re: Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
WOW!!!! You folks are great.........and responded so fast...Some of the info I had, but was able to make more connections thanks to you..........Now how about any records from Italy......I have done lots of research, but only in the US and Canada...don't know how to find anything that can show ancestors, for this family...Thankls again..
Re: Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
This may help
Valarie
---
You could write to Teggiano
Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
Or other helpful form letters:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html
Address:
Comune di Teggiano
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Municipio
84039 Teggiano SA
ITALY
http://www.tuttitalia.it/campania/39-teggiano/
---
And, your nearest Family History Center has records for Teggiano on microfilm.
The cost is about $6 mo @ (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.
film notes for Teggiano:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... ato+civile &columns=*,0,0
Topic:
Italy, Salerno, Teggiano - Civil registration
Titles:
Registri dello stato civile, 1866-1910 Teggiano (Salerno).
Ufficio dello stato civile
Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp
---
In case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records
FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center
A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
---
Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---
Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide
Valarie
---
You could write to Teggiano
Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
Or other helpful form letters:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html
Address:
Comune di Teggiano
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Municipio
84039 Teggiano SA
ITALY
http://www.tuttitalia.it/campania/39-teggiano/
---
And, your nearest Family History Center has records for Teggiano on microfilm.
The cost is about $6 mo @ (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.
film notes for Teggiano:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... ato+civile &columns=*,0,0
Topic:
Italy, Salerno, Teggiano - Civil registration
Titles:
Registri dello stato civile, 1866-1910 Teggiano (Salerno).
Ufficio dello stato civile
Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp
---
In case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records
FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center
A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
---
Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---
Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide
- birdwatcher
- Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 14:22
Re: Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
On the Canadian Military record for Robert, date of birth of 19 January, appears to have been 1899, and xxx'd and 1898, was entered.
The Social Security Death Index, gives his date of birth as 19 January 1899. Was there an age requirement for the Canadian Military?
The Social Security Death Index, gives his date of birth as 19 January 1899. Was there an age requirement for the Canadian Military?
Re: Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
I believe that the minimum enlistment age was 18 but I'm sure many recruiting officers weren't very thorough in requesting documents.
Nice image of a 5th Royal Highlanders WWI recruiting poster.
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1195 ... poster.jpg
Biff
Nice image of a 5th Royal Highlanders WWI recruiting poster.
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1195 ... poster.jpg
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
- birdwatcher
- Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: 16 Apr 2010, 14:22
Re: Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
Hello Valerie,
I received an email I believe from you, regarding a message that I sent about a change or correction in the 1910 census for Garrano?Carrano. Would this have been done, as a result of MY querry about the Guerra/Carrano family? Thanks for the help! Wish I could get more info from Italy. Linda
I received an email I believe from you, regarding a message that I sent about a change or correction in the 1910 census for Garrano?Carrano. Would this have been done, as a result of MY querry about the Guerra/Carrano family? Thanks for the help! Wish I could get more info from Italy. Linda
Re: Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
Hello Linda,
Yes that was my email and correction for your family from your post on this forum
.
Valarie
Yes that was my email and correction for your family from your post on this forum
Valarie
Re: Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
Hi,
I have been transcibing records from Teggiano.I have the marridge record of Vincenzo Carrano and Rosa Guerra in 1895,and I also have the marridge record of Rosa,s Father Raffaele who married Maria Casella in 1870.I am searching my records for any other relatives.I am not good at posting records on this website.I have put this information on my tree on Ancestry.com.My tree name is Ancona.I would love to help out on this
Terry Ancona
t.ancona@live .com
I have been transcibing records from Teggiano.I have the marridge record of Vincenzo Carrano and Rosa Guerra in 1895,and I also have the marridge record of Rosa,s Father Raffaele who married Maria Casella in 1870.I am searching my records for any other relatives.I am not good at posting records on this website.I have put this information on my tree on Ancestry.com.My tree name is Ancona.I would love to help out on this
Terry Ancona
t.ancona@live .com
Re: Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
Terry,
how are you getting the records from Teggiano? My ancestors are from there and I visited an LDS center to view Teggiano records on microfilm. I didn't have much luck as I didn't know exact dates and viewing these films on their projector was difficult.
Is there any way you can help me find what I am looking for? I don't know the extent of your work or if you have the actua films yourself. Let me know. Thanks
Robert Russo
rjrusso2@gmail.com
how are you getting the records from Teggiano? My ancestors are from there and I visited an LDS center to view Teggiano records on microfilm. I didn't have much luck as I didn't know exact dates and viewing these films on their projector was difficult.
Is there any way you can help me find what I am looking for? I don't know the extent of your work or if you have the actua films yourself. Let me know. Thanks
Robert Russo
rjrusso2@gmail.com
Re: Help!! with Guerra/Carrano records
There are 4 rolls of microfilmed records for the town of Teggiano available for rental through a local family history center of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Saints. The microfilms are rented at the local sent and shipped there from the main Mormon Library in Salt Lake City. It currently costs about $5.50 to rent one roll of microfilm for abt a month. It can then be renewed up to two times, at additional costs, and then becomes permanent at your local center. To find a center near your home, go to the following website:
www.familysearch.org
Go to word library across the top and then to the second option in the drop down box which is Family history centers. That will allow you to search for the center closest to your home by putting in your location.
The records for Teggiano on microfilm go from 1866 to 1910.
www.familysearch.org
Go to word library across the top and then to the second option in the drop down box which is Family history centers. That will allow you to search for the center closest to your home by putting in your location.
The records for Teggiano on microfilm go from 1866 to 1910.

