On the manifest, from Ellis Island, just above my grandfather's name (Barbarino Scavuzza) there are some numbers. What are these numbers? Are they from when he had his name changed? And will these numbers help me in my search for more information? Also "alias" is written before his name on the manifest. What does that mean?
Thanks in advance, Chelsea
Numbers on Manifest
Re: Numbers on Manifest
Without seeing the manifest, I would guess that the numbers refer to his naturalization documents. It's usually a 7 digit number x-xxxxxx. If this is the case, the naturalization documents hold alot of useful information.
- chelssavoy
- Newbie

- Posts: 8
- Joined: 30 Mar 2010, 05:17
- Location: orlando, fl
Re: Numbers on Manifest
I actually have the original naturalization document. What info could I use from it to continue my search? I know it has an address on it. How could I use that to find more info?
Re: Numbers on Manifest
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Numbers on Manifest
Ship manifest for Barbarino scavuzza (line 7):
http://www.ellisisland.org/cgi-bin/tif2 ... 93.TIF&S=1
http://www.ellisisland.org/cgi-bin/tif2 ... 93.TIF&S=1
Re: Numbers on Manifest
The Petition for Naturalization and the Declaration of Intention are the documents that hold the most information.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Numbers on Manifest
Chelsea - a small percentage of these records are available online from sites such as Ancestry . com.Drew927 wrote:The Petition for Naturalization and the Declaration of Intention are the documents that hold the most information.
It sounds as though you have only the actual Certificate of Naturalization? If so, you can get these other documents directly from USCIS ( http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD ) by using a "Records Request". You can skip the Index Search because you already have the most important number - the number on the certificate is the "C-File" number needed.
Under a fairly recent policy change, when these documents are issued by USCIS, they redact (black out) certain details pertaining to persons other than the actual citizen applicant. For the most part, this means that the birthdates of spouse and children listed on the Declaration and Petition are no longer visible.
So far as I know, it is only USCIS that does this redacting. Depending on where your ancestor naturalized (city, state, and court system), the records may be available from the National Archives and/or state/county court archives in non-redacted form.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!

