question about WWl draft registraton cards
question about WWl draft registraton cards
Is there any way to find out what the range of height was on the WWl draft registraton cards? How tall was someone considered to be if he was tall, medium or short? I haven’t been able to find this information anywhere. 8O Thanks for any help you can give me. 
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: question about WWl draft registraton cards
You would think so, but I have not been able to locate any source which defines the ranges used for short, medium, tall.
Have you researched naturalization documents and/or passport applications for your ancestor? Both of these generally list height in feet and inches.
Have you researched naturalization documents and/or passport applications for your ancestor? Both of these generally list height in feet and inches.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: question about WWl draft registraton cards
And include photos too!johnnyonthespot wrote:...
Have you researched naturalization documents and/or passport applications for your ancestor? Both of these generally list height in feet and inches.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: question about WWl draft registraton cards
Some WWI draft registration cards do have height in terms of ft and inches, wheres others just say short, medium, or tall. Some passenger lists I have list the height in ft and inches. I have an ancestor listed as medium height on his WWI draft registration card and on his passenger list is listed as 5 ft 3 1/2 inches. I don't know if the height on the WWI was his response to the person asking the questions or the interviewer's perception of the registrant's height.
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: question about WWl draft registraton cards
Was anyone here in the military? I dont know if terminology changed from then to now but I can ask my husband who was in the Marines what the standards were 10 years ago. Maybe Ill have some luck
Alicia
Alicia
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: question about WWl draft registraton cards
Well according to my husband, as of 10 years ago in the military there was no category of short, medium, or tall. It was precise measurement. Everybody was measured right down to the 1/4 inch. So nobody was labeled but an accurate measurement was used.
Alicia
Alicia
