Been reading the forums for a little bit now in my quest to understand whether or not I'm eligible for italian citizenship under jure sanguinis. I'm trying to go through my GF's parents side since there's more easily found information to piece together.
At first glance I thought I was OK, but in another post I read about derivative naturalization which has thrown everything up in the air. Below is the sequence of events:
- GGF and GGM born in Tiriolo, Italy (Calabria region) in 1888 and 1887 respectively.
- Immigrated to the US as a married couple on 3/5/1913
- My GF was born in the US on 7/10/1913
- It appears my GGF naturalized in 1928 and GGM in 1942 (I can't figure out why they waited that long and then went through the process 14 years apart)
So my GF was born in the US and therefore a US citizen at the time of his birth. And since neither my GGF nor GGM were naturalized so he should would have duel citizenship at this point.
However, when my GGF naturalized in 1928, my GF was 15 years old and as a minor would be automatically naturalized, but I'm hoping since he was born in the US he wouldn't have been eligible for naturalization (since he's a US citizen), and my GGF wouldn't have listed him on his naturalization papers and therefore my GF would still technically be a duel citizen. Therefore my dad would technically be duel and I would be as well.
If there is a problem with this I still have my grandmothers lineage to investigate but as I said, there's much more information available with this side of the family and if its all kosher, would be easier for me to gather the necessary documents.
I hope you all have some good news to share

