Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Giuseppina Aramini
Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Giuseppina Aramini
I have seen a number of great posts, resources and generous offers of assistance on this forum and was hoping to try my luck as well.
I have been researching my GGM, Giuseppina Aramini. I located her birth record from Zagarise, Catanzaro, Calabria, Italy. From what I can determine, there is no reference to either a mother or a father in this document. I have been told that this suggests Guiseppina was an abandoned child, a foundling.
I was hoping for assistance with translation and interpretation.
Are there any suggestions for how to investigate this further?
Thank you in advance for your input.
Link to Giuseppina Araminia Birth Record Image
I have been researching my GGM, Giuseppina Aramini. I located her birth record from Zagarise, Catanzaro, Calabria, Italy. From what I can determine, there is no reference to either a mother or a father in this document. I have been told that this suggests Guiseppina was an abandoned child, a foundling.
I was hoping for assistance with translation and interpretation.
Are there any suggestions for how to investigate this further?
Thank you in advance for your input.
Link to Giuseppina Araminia Birth Record Image
Re: Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Guiseppina Aram
Hello and welcome to the forum 
We'll do what we can to help you in your search...
You are correct about the linked document of birth...there is no identification of parents... and it states that the child was born of a woman who does not give consent to be named...
The child was given the name of Giuseppina and a surname of Arancini...
The notation under the name in the left column states that Giuseppina married Vincenzo Bruno on 8 July 1904.
The declarant, who presented the child to the official at the town hall, was Maria Agnese (sp?), a 57 year old peasant farmer...
T.
We'll do what we can to help you in your search...
You are correct about the linked document of birth...there is no identification of parents... and it states that the child was born of a woman who does not give consent to be named...
The child was given the name of Giuseppina and a surname of Arancini...
The notation under the name in the left column states that Giuseppina married Vincenzo Bruno on 8 July 1904.
The declarant, who presented the child to the official at the town hall, was Maria Agnese (sp?), a 57 year old peasant farmer...
T.
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Guiseppina Aram
I can't figure out how to enlarge the image without downloading it. Usually the birth act tells the story of where the baby was found, how it was dressed, if there was any identifying objects. This is in case the mother wants to reclaim the child at some point. The act gives the address of the birth (which could be the midwife's house) but unless her parents recognized her later in life you will never learn who her parents were. Anonymity is guaranteed to Italians and the names of the birth parents are no recorded anywhere without their permission.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Guiseppina Aram
Tessa78 and ItalySearcher, thank you both for your responses.
[hr]
ItalySearcher, there is a Magnifying Glass Icon in the right corner of Picasas for the linked image. This allows you to zoom in without downloading the image. I could not figure out a better way to attach the photo, so if there is a better way, let me know.
[hr]
1. From her passport (which had the wrong birth year), I can more clearly see my GGM's name listed as "Aramini". Is there any way to tell where the source of this name comes from or was it written incorrectly and is perhaps “Aranciniâ€
[hr]
ItalySearcher, there is a Magnifying Glass Icon in the right corner of Picasas for the linked image. This allows you to zoom in without downloading the image. I could not figure out a better way to attach the photo, so if there is a better way, let me know.
[hr]
1. From her passport (which had the wrong birth year), I can more clearly see my GGM's name listed as "Aramini". Is there any way to tell where the source of this name comes from or was it written incorrectly and is perhaps “Aranciniâ€
- MaurizioPerrone
- Rookie

- Posts: 68
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 22:22
- Location: Savona (Italia) - USA
Re: Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Guiseppina Aram
Is very difficult to know more about the baby when the name of the mother and the father are not written unless you have some other evidences, or maybe some story from your family that can suggest to you the name of the mother. If you have nothing of these, then probably yes, you can find no more informations.
The words trovatello, foundling ecc., these are names for the baby that was born from illegitimate, or also if the baby is abandoned (is left on the step of the neighbor house, or the church). The marriage documents you order will all say the same informations as the birth act, because the birth act must be verified before the marriage and the information that is written on the marriage act should always say the same. So even in situation when the mother decline to be named on the birth act, but she keep the baby (her own baby) to be the wet nurse and then raise the baby but she does not recognize the baby on the birth act, then always it is written from unknown mother. Even when the child knows the identity of the mother. These are legal documents only, for official purpose, not to say yes I know the name of my mother.
The words trovatello, foundling ecc., these are names for the baby that was born from illegitimate, or also if the baby is abandoned (is left on the step of the neighbor house, or the church). The marriage documents you order will all say the same informations as the birth act, because the birth act must be verified before the marriage and the information that is written on the marriage act should always say the same. So even in situation when the mother decline to be named on the birth act, but she keep the baby (her own baby) to be the wet nurse and then raise the baby but she does not recognize the baby on the birth act, then always it is written from unknown mother. Even when the child knows the identity of the mother. These are legal documents only, for official purpose, not to say yes I know the name of my mother.
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Guiseppina Aram
[quote="jpetrelli"]
1. From her passport (which had the wrong birth year), I can more clearly see my GGM's name listed as "Aramini". Is there any way to tell where the source of this name comes from or was it written incorrectly and is perhaps “Aranciniâ€
1. From her passport (which had the wrong birth year), I can more clearly see my GGM's name listed as "Aramini". Is there any way to tell where the source of this name comes from or was it written incorrectly and is perhaps “Aranciniâ€
Re: Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Giuseppina Aram
Thank you all for your responses and assistance. I appreciate the comments on the document. I look forward to seeing additional interpretations.
[hr]
As potential useful information for Giuseppina, below are links to the Birth Records for Vincenzo Bruno (her first husband) and Dominico Bruno (her son).
I have not fully translated these documents either and would appreciate any assistance doing so.
[hr]
Link to Birth Record for Vincenzo Bruno
[hr]
Link to Birth Record for Domenico Bruno
[hr]
As potential useful information for Giuseppina, below are links to the Birth Records for Vincenzo Bruno (her first husband) and Dominico Bruno (her son).
I have not fully translated these documents either and would appreciate any assistance doing so.
[hr]
Link to Birth Record for Vincenzo Bruno
[hr]
Link to Birth Record for Domenico Bruno
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Giuseppina Aram
Vincenzo Bruno was born on Oct. 9, 1882 to Nicola Bruno and to Nunziata La Torre. The side notation states that he married Giuseppa Aramini on July 8 1904.
Domenico Bruno was born on Febr. 26 1905 to Vincenzo Bruno (son of the late Nicola) and to Giuseppina Aramini.
Domenico Bruno was born on Febr. 26 1905 to Vincenzo Bruno (son of the late Nicola) and to Giuseppina Aramini.
Re: Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Giuseppina Aram
I was hoping I could get assistance with my prior questions. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. This forum has offered great assistance so far.
[quote]1. From her passport (which had the wrong birth year), I can more clearly see my GGM's name listed as "Aramini". Is there any way to tell where the source of this name comes from or was it written incorrectly and is perhaps “Aranciniâ€
[quote]1. From her passport (which had the wrong birth year), I can more clearly see my GGM's name listed as "Aramini". Is there any way to tell where the source of this name comes from or was it written incorrectly and is perhaps “Aranciniâ€
Re: Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Guiseppina Aram
[quote="liviomoreno"][quote="jpetrelli"]
1. From her passport (which had the wrong birth year), I can more clearly see my GGM's name listed as "Aramini". Is there any way to tell where the source of this name comes from or was it written incorrectly and is perhaps “Aranciniâ€
1. From her passport (which had the wrong birth year), I can more clearly see my GGM's name listed as "Aramini". Is there any way to tell where the source of this name comes from or was it written incorrectly and is perhaps “Aranciniâ€
Re: Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Giuseppina Aram
The bottom of the document states that the declarant (Maria Agnese) reported that she assisted with the delivery, and that the mother left the aforementioned baby with her, and that she promised to assume the breastfeeding, and custody of the child, and that no harm would come to the child. Nothing was found to the contrary and the child was left with the declarant.jpetrelli wrote:3. Can anyone offer me a verbatim translation of the notation (at the bottom of the certificate) on the document for my records and notes?
The official read the present act to all the participants and the witnesses signed with him, but not the declarant as she was illiterate.
T.
Re: Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Giuseppina Aram
Tess78,
Thank you greatly for the translation. Being told the story in little translations is helpful, but the full translation makes the story clearer.
Thank you again.
Joe
Thank you greatly for the translation. Being told the story in little translations is helpful, but the full translation makes the story clearer.
Thank you again.
Joe
Re: Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Giuseppina Aram
Glad to be of help 
T.
T.
Re: Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Giuseppina Aram
I just got access to the marriage records from Zagarise, Italy and recovered Giuseppina Aramini and Vincenzo Bruno's Wedding Record.
I was wondering if I could get assistance translating the document, including the longer paragraphs.
I don't see any mention of Giuseppina's parents being identified, but want to confirm.
Thank you.
Joe
Aramini/Bruno Wedding Record
I was wondering if I could get assistance translating the document, including the longer paragraphs.
I don't see any mention of Giuseppina's parents being identified, but want to confirm.
Thank you.
Joe
Aramini/Bruno Wedding Record
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)
Re: Foundling? Interpreting Birth Record for Giuseppina Aram
She's "figlia di genitori ignoti"- (the daughter of unknown parents).