Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
I am searching for any information on Francesco Pelusi and his family. My husband is a descendant of Francesco's son Gaetano. Gaetano came to Salt Lake Utah in 1909. We believe Francesco had 2 more sons and a daughter. From what we can tell, the family resided in Altilia but we have been unable to find any more information on the family members who remained in Italy.
For reference purposes, is this the manifest for Gaetano? (name listed as Peluso on manifest)
Arriving NY Feb 1909, destination - to cousin Carmine Grilo(sp?) Salt Lake...
Does the family tree on Ancestry for Williard DeRose/Gaetano Peluta belong to you?
You may wish to write directly to the comune of Atilia to request birth/marriage records...
Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Convento
87040 Altilia (CS)
ITALY
Write your request in Italian and provide as much information as you can about birth dates, marriage dates, siblings, etc. Request only one or two documents per letter... Write your requests in Italian.
You may also wish to do your own search of the Italian civil records at your nearest LDS Family History Center. They have microfilms available to rent that cover the years 1809-1910 for Atilia, Cosenza. http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... di+Altilia+++
You must go to the center to rent firm. Then wait 3-4 weeks for the film to come in, at which time you will need to view the film at the FHC.
Thank you so much for your help! I have an Ancestry account but I list mine as Willard DeRose with an alternate name of Gaetano Pelusi. I'll have to see if I can find who else is searching for him on Ancestry.
My husband's niece and I are hoping to travel to the LDS family research center soon. We live within 30 minutes of Salt Lake City Utah so it will be easy for us to get to the center.
I'm also curious to see if any of the Pelusi family members are still in Atilia. We have a letter from Francesco from 1915 where he lists 3 grandchildren living with him.
I forgot to mention that yes, we do believe that is him on that manifest! We've searched many Gaetano Pelusi's but that one most closely matches the information we have. Besides, it seems too big a coincidence that they list Salt Lake City for it not to be him. Thank you for deciphering the cousin's last name. We have been puzzled by that. I'm off to search Ancestry to see if I can find that cousin!!
Have you tried looking through the Cosenza Archives site? You will have to register but their is quite a bit of free information (and images) available on it. They are updating constantly as well so this might be useful to you.
ciao sono Roma68 abito a Roma ma mio padre è di Altilia e io come posso vado lì - sono molto legato a quel piccolo paese con tanta storia.
Anche mio nonno Romano Celeste P. è stato da quelle parti Utah Carbon Helper ma per un breve periodo.
Ti aiuto sicuramente io. ( dovresti essere di Maione )
Ora mi informo poi ti faccio sapere.
stò scrivendo un lavoro sugli Altiliari emigranti nello Utah si intitola
"Da Mastri Scalpellini a Minatori dello Utah" tu mi potresti proprio aiutare visto che sei di lì
Hello. As my dear friend and fellow "Atiliaro" Maurizio has stated...The name Peluso if once present in the Comune of Altilia probably resided in the "frazione" of Maione. The Comune of Altilia consists of the town of Altilia situated atop a small mountain and the "frazione" of Maione which sits at the bottom of the mountain. The population of the town is about 800 people with the population approximately 400 people in each town.
On the manifest he travels with Giuseppe Patella and his son. The Patella surname is of Maione so Francesco's family most likely lived there.
There are no Peluso surnames in either town presently and probably have not been there for years. The surname Peluso is not native to our town. I am quite sure that Francesco Peluso (if the surname spelling is correct) was born in and is from another town. Him, his wife and his children were probably the only Pelusos residing in the Comune of Altilia.
Is that ship manifest the earliest documentation you have with that surname with the spelling Peluso? How positive can you be that Peluso/i is correct? I have seen a ton of mistakes on those manifests and some mistakes have totally altered a surname into something much different but sounding similar. Also, do you happen to know Francesco's wife's name and surname? Do you know of any other relatives' or family friends' surnames?
It's too bad you didnt post 6 months ago as I spent 3 months there during the summer and was able to spend 3 days in the city hall ( my father and current mayor grew up together) doing my own personal family research and one for another woman from Utah who posted here looking for the Romano family of Altilia. I was able to trace her family tree back to the late 1700's.
Anyways if there is something I can do to help or if there is something you would like to know about the town let me know.
Parlando con gli "anziani" di Altilia per ora abbiamo saputo che la perpetua di Don antonio caserta ( nato nel 1880 circa)si chiamava raffella ( detta raffaellina) Pelusi ed è sepolta ad Altilia