Hi,
I have been trying to locate my great grandmothers birth certificate in Italy with no luck. She was a foster child, which is making things very difficult. Does anybody know how foster/adopted children where issued birth certificates in Italy? Is it possible that she was never issued one?
About her: Her maiden name was Giovanna Vestaglia, her foster parents last name was "cali", and her married name was Russo (married to my great grandfather Onofrio Russo). She grew up in Casteldaccia, sicaly. She was born around 1895 and came to the US around 1922.
I received her marriage certificate from italy, and I was surprised to see that her name was spelled "Vistaglia", with an "i", but i figured it was a typo, since the name was hand written. I have requested her birth certificate from castelaccia and surrounding areas with no luck.
Also, can you become a naturalized citizen in the US without a birth certificate? Does anyone know of a good genealogist that I can hire?
Any suggestions? Thoughts?
Thanks,
help locating birth certificate for foster/adopted child
Re: help locating birth certificate for foster/adopted child
Question: Does anyone know if I can apply for Italian citizenship WITHOUT my great grandmother birth certificate? I am applying through my mother-grand father-great grand father. I pretty much have access to all the documents I need except my great grandmother birth certificate.
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: help locating birth certificate for foster/adopted child
Some towns put the foundling birth records in a separate book. If the clerk didn't know that she might not have looked. Sometimes it is found in the 'atti diversi'.
Do you have a photocopy of the marriage record or a typed certificate? Sounds like you have a typed certificate. The photocopy should give you the town of birth.
Do you have a photocopy of the marriage record or a typed certificate? Sounds like you have a typed certificate. The photocopy should give you the town of birth.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
