Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
sorry, didn't see your post
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
How many times have we seen the names "Guiseppe"... and again Angela's last name..."BUSSO" instead of Russo.... just makes researching at times very difficult!!
Actually you found her first.. I could hear your thoughts from here!
If she could see us now eh?
First Name: Guiseppe
Last Name: Scialdone
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Vitulazio
Date of Arrival: May 27, 1906
Age at Arrival:  35y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: Weimar
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0024
I think the birthdate is off for this Giuseppe... can you even make out what it says.... it's a shame... such a weak manifest...
This Giuseppe is traveling with 2 Russo's... looks like Enrico (Henry) and Giovanni Russo
0022. Camponeschi, Pietro M 35y M Italian, South Vitulazio
0023. Russo, Enrico M 29y M Italian, South Vitulazio
0024. Scialdone, Guiseppe M 35y M Italian, South Vitulazio
0025. Russo, Giovanni M 21y M Italian, South Grumo Nevano
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 2236150174&
----------------------------------------
Giuseppe of 1903... plus lots more...
irst Name: Guiseppe
Last Name: Scialdone
Ethnicity: Italian, South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Vitulazio
Date of Arrival: March 17, 1903
Age at Arrival:  36y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: Citta Di Torino
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0024
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2618020707
sending you a private message! mfjp
Actually you found her first.. I could hear your thoughts from here!
If she could see us now eh?
First Name: Guiseppe
Last Name: Scialdone
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Vitulazio
Date of Arrival: May 27, 1906
Age at Arrival:  35y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: Weimar
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0024
I think the birthdate is off for this Giuseppe... can you even make out what it says.... it's a shame... such a weak manifest...
This Giuseppe is traveling with 2 Russo's... looks like Enrico (Henry) and Giovanni Russo
0022. Camponeschi, Pietro M 35y M Italian, South Vitulazio
0023. Russo, Enrico M 29y M Italian, South Vitulazio
0024. Scialdone, Guiseppe M 35y M Italian, South Vitulazio
0025. Russo, Giovanni M 21y M Italian, South Grumo Nevano
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 2236150174&
----------------------------------------
Giuseppe of 1903... plus lots more...
irst Name: Guiseppe
Last Name: Scialdone
Ethnicity: Italian, South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Vitulazio
Date of Arrival: March 17, 1903
Age at Arrival:  36y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: Citta Di Torino
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0024
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2618020707
sending you a private message! mfjp
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
I couldn't find a town called Villa Volturno...but there is a river nearby called Volturno.... which makes it all the way to the West Coast...In 1906, he married Angeline Russo and immigrated to the USA.
.... I have a copy of their marrage certificate, however, it is stamped from Villa Volturno.
See map of Vitulazio and Bellona
http://img147.exs.cx/img147/1403/bellonamap6kv.jpg
There is one more thing you can check... What is the date on the Marriage Certificate? Hoping it was before Feb 6 1906 8O
mfjp
also.. did he have a middle name?
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
mfjp,
I was recently told that during Musilinni's(sp.) time in Italy, Vitulazio & Bellona were made into one commue Villa Volturno. Named for the river that flowed by them.
From the marriage certificate the date was December 6, 1906. Why were you hoping otherwise?
If he had a middle name there is no listing of it on his birth record.
Sher
I was recently told that during Musilinni's(sp.) time in Italy, Vitulazio & Bellona were made into one commue Villa Volturno. Named for the river that flowed by them.
From the marriage certificate the date was December 6, 1906. Why were you hoping otherwise?
If he had a middle name there is no listing of it on his birth record.
Sher
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
Oh well...
There was a manifest dated Feb28, 1906... of a Giuseppe Antonio... from a town nearby... so not him...
So, at this point we need to find a manifest from 1907 to at least mid 1910.
Sent you an email about Ancestry.com.
mfjp
So, at this point we need to find a manifest from 1907 to at least mid 1910.
Sent you an email about Ancestry.com.
mfjp
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
got the email a few minutes ago...the site allowed me right in...I guess part of my subscription includes the Boston passenger lists.
sher
sher
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
Prior to 1940 the name of the town was Vitulazio. Then the name was changed to Villa Volturno. After WWII, the name was changed back to Vitulazio. So, your document must have been stamped within that time period.
- LouiseThompson
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 01 Jan 2008, 22:24
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
Not exactly sure how but I think we may be related. My grandmother. Maria Concetta Scialdone Pezzulo Mosello [born about 1883], arrived through NY from Vitulazio at least three times, each time traveling under her maiden name. The first was on 6-19-1905 aboard the Citta di Milano, where she was listed as 22 and traveling with a 6-month old daughter named Antonia Pezzulo. Antonia was really a son named Antonio, who was my late uncle. Maria was going to PA to be with her then-husband Luigi Pezzulo. She likely stayed for awhile, giving birth to my late Aunt Liz on 9-10-06 in Hillville, PA. Seven years later -- on 11-13-1913 --, she arrived in NY again on The Taormina from Vitulazio with two children - Antonio, 9, and Isabella [my Aunt Liz], then 7. She was then 30, widowed and. again, travelling to PA. [Family story is that her husband Luigi had taken work in Argentina at some point and died there.] On 3-9-1916, she again arrived in NY from Naples on the America with her children -- Antonio, then 11, and Elisabeth [my Aunt Liz], then 9 -- both Pezzulos although their last name is misspelled in the ship manifest. She was then listed as 31 and a widow travelling to Albany, NY, where she then married my grandfather, Antonio Mosello, whose last name is listed in the ship manifest as Musallo. Antonio was then a widower with 7 children. I think the marriage between Antonio and Maria was arranged. Although they already had 9 children between them, the two of them had at least four more children between 1916 and 1925. My late father, Louis, born in 1918, was one of the four. At some point before the 1930 census, the family moved to Yonkers, NY. I'm looking to find any info on my grandmother's family -- her parents, grandparents, etc. Do you have that info? Do you think we're related?
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
Good afternoon Louise! Sorry this has taken sooooo long in replying to, but something is wrong with my browser. Anyhow...Your grandmother Maria Concetta was not a sister to my g-grandfather Giuseppe. She however was his dirst cousin!
I am 100% sure of that!
Based on the info that I have, she was born to Antonio Scialdone and Maria Giovanna de Gaetano on 12 Dec 1883 (certificate 71). My g-grandfather, Giuseppe, was Antonio's bother, Pasquale's, son. She has at least 9 siblings that I am sure of and numerous cousins. She married Luigi Pezzulo on 7 Jan 1904 in Vitulazio, Terra di Lavoro, Caserta, Italy; and Angelantonio Mersella? in about 1915. Grandparents on paternal side were Carlo Scialdone and Teresa Scialdone; maternal side was Michele de Gaetano & Maria Carmela Natale. Don't have anything else regarding the maternal side. Have more regarding the paternal side if you'd like.
Hope this helps! Let me know if there's anything else you need!!
Talk to you later cuz
Based on the info that I have, she was born to Antonio Scialdone and Maria Giovanna de Gaetano on 12 Dec 1883 (certificate 71). My g-grandfather, Giuseppe, was Antonio's bother, Pasquale's, son. She has at least 9 siblings that I am sure of and numerous cousins. She married Luigi Pezzulo on 7 Jan 1904 in Vitulazio, Terra di Lavoro, Caserta, Italy; and Angelantonio Mersella? in about 1915. Grandparents on paternal side were Carlo Scialdone and Teresa Scialdone; maternal side was Michele de Gaetano & Maria Carmela Natale. Don't have anything else regarding the maternal side. Have more regarding the paternal side if you'd like.
Hope this helps! Let me know if there's anything else you need!!
Talk to you later cuz
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
The town of Vitulazio was known as Villa Volturno between 1928 and 1946.
The LDS has ALL the births marriages and deaths between 1809 and 1865, however after that is a lottery. It doesn't appear that they have anything but 'allegati' (attachments) between 1866 and 1911 and not much after that.
They are in a zone that took heavy bombing during WW2 and it would seem that many records were destroyed. The even state that some years may be missing or out of order. I think MANY of them for these years are missing.
You might want to concentrate on the parish records (if they survived).
The LDS has ALL the births marriages and deaths between 1809 and 1865, however after that is a lottery. It doesn't appear that they have anything but 'allegati' (attachments) between 1866 and 1911 and not much after that.
They are in a zone that took heavy bombing during WW2 and it would seem that many records were destroyed. The even state that some years may be missing or out of order. I think MANY of them for these years are missing.
You might want to concentrate on the parish records (if they survived).
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
There is a Sciadone family from Vitulazio living in Phoenix..........My grandmother.Emilia Sabino was from VitulazioSher wrote:I found her...Carmela! (Bear with me because I've never entered a link before)
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 2387110021
Name: Scialdone Carmela
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Vitulazio, Italy
Date of Arrival: April 21, 1905
Age at Arrival: 23y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Neckar
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0021
traveling with Giordano Antonio (line 0020) to visit uncle Michele Giordano in Boston
- lisagooley
- Rookie

- Posts: 48
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 00:00
- Location: New Jersey, USA
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
For what it is worth, I have a colleage with the last name of Bennicas. He lives in the Allentown PA area. I remember him saying that when his ancestors came over from Italy they changed their name from Benincasa to Bennicas. I don't know much about his family, but I can give him your information and see if anything fits.
- pscialdone
- Newbie

- Posts: 5
- Joined: 14 Dec 2005, 00:00
- Location: Oregon, USA
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
The messages in this forum seem to be older, so I'm not sure if I've had contact with listers or not, or if anyone is still seeking info about Scialdone's from Vitualzio.
I was born a Scialdone and my grandfather immigrated from Vitulazio. I have a very large amount of vital records copied from FHL microfilm regarding the Scialdone family and those connecting to it. I have most all of the birth records between 1809-1910 as well as a large number of marriage and death records. Part of it is searchable and part is still in image format.
I am willing to do reasonable look-ups.
Penni
I was born a Scialdone and my grandfather immigrated from Vitulazio. I have a very large amount of vital records copied from FHL microfilm regarding the Scialdone family and those connecting to it. I have most all of the birth records between 1809-1910 as well as a large number of marriage and death records. Part of it is searchable and part is still in image format.
I am willing to do reasonable look-ups.
Penni
- sscialdone
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 21:13
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
Hi - just stubled across this site and thread and again - another person with ancesters from Vitaluzio. My grandfather (Alexander/Alessandro) came over around 1912/13 wwhen he was 12 or 13. His Father Sebastian/Sebastiano and mother Maria came over earlier - both died in the 50's. He had a very large family, not sure where they went first but know they (my grandparents and parents) settled in Yonkers and the Bronx. I have some documents on this side of the family and would like to speak with others to try and see how for back documentation can go.
Of course one problem is a lot of documents are in Italian and I'm not that fluent.
Of course one problem is a lot of documents are in Italian and I'm not that fluent.
- LouiseThompson
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 01 Jan 2008, 22:24
Re: Scialdone & Russo surnames from Vitulazio
Thanks much for the info.