Santa Flavia / Potinello
Santa Flavia / Potinello
Hello! just found the forum, and am really hoping to get some ideas on where and how to search this whole area.
That said, I am not sure if Potinello (Patinello?) is even a place. I know from US census's that my sons gggrandfather and mother came from Santa Flavia, however, on his WW2 registration records he (or someone) wrote he was from Potinello - I have looked every where I can think of to look, so am assuming it may be a little known nickname or perhaps town that is now renamed.
So far in this area, I am researching for CRISCI and SANFILIPPO (paternal grandparents names known so far) - any ideas? or suggestions?
That said, I am not sure if Potinello (Patinello?) is even a place. I know from US census's that my sons gggrandfather and mother came from Santa Flavia, however, on his WW2 registration records he (or someone) wrote he was from Potinello - I have looked every where I can think of to look, so am assuming it may be a little known nickname or perhaps town that is now renamed.
So far in this area, I am researching for CRISCI and SANFILIPPO (paternal grandparents names known so far) - any ideas? or suggestions?
Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello
Hello and welcome! 
A possibility???? Porticello...
Porticello, comune of Santa Flavia - province: Palermo - region: Sicily
T.
A possibility???? Porticello...
Porticello, comune of Santa Flavia - province: Palermo - region: Sicily
T.
Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello
You can find several manifests listing Salvatore Crisci at this free site...
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... ame=crisci
T.
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... ame=crisci
T.
Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello
What records have you already located?
Can we help you find anything?
T.
Can we help you find anything?
T.
Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello
So far, this is all I know - I have his DOB 27 AUG 1886 and know his wifes name was Grace (Grazia I am assuming) Sanfilippo DOB c 1886- I did find a manifest with her bringing the children over (Vincenzo b9 MAR 1912, Francesco 6 JUL 1916 & Francesca 1921) in 1929 - Salvatore must have been in America since at least 1904.
I have not found out when for sure, nor found that info (on him) and do not know his parents names, nor that of Grazia (Grace) - I had read there may be a way to find baptismal records IF I can locate where they lived. And I am also assuming that they may have married in Italy, and that per census may have been 1911. In the 1910 US Census (there are TWO Salvatore Crisics that have similar bdates and lived in the area to really keep me on my toes!) Salvatore was boarding with a family named Sanfilippo, so I'm wondering if that was an arranged marriage, or .. ? I do know that all 3 children were born in Italy so again, brings more questions for me.
So I have tried to locate the family of the two siblings - Frank and Frances as they were called in America - and hoping to find more info that way too IF I can find living relatives.
Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello
OH! that is too close NOT to be it. I wonder if someone else was writing it for him, and that is how they heard it. Thank you!Tessa78 wrote:Hello and welcome!
A possibility???? Porticello...
Porticello, comune of Santa Flavia - province: Palermo - region: Sicily
T.
Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello
That was generally the case! Poor transcription, and the informant was often illiterate and didn't know how it should have been spelledGOONKA wrote:OH! that is too close NOT to be it. I wonder if someone else was writing it for him, and that is how they heard it. Thank you!Tessa78 wrote:Hello and welcome!
A possibility???? Porticello...
Porticello, comune of Santa Flavia - province: Palermo - region: Sicily
T.
T.
Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello
So far, this is all I know - I have his DOB 27 AUG 1886 and know his wifes name was Grace (Grazia I am assuming) Sanfilippo DOB c 1886- I did find a manifest with her bringing the children over (Vincenzo b9 MAR 1912, Francesco 6 JUL 1916 & Francesca 1921) in 1929 - Salvatore must have been in America since at least 1904.
I think Salvatore traveled back and forth a number of times...
Possible manifest in 1903, arriving at age 16 from Santa Flavia, going to Milwaukee to brother-in-law Giuseppe D'Aquisto (maybe the husband of his sister???)
Line 14
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0014
T.
Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello
Another manifest in 1912, March 29 (right after birth of Vincenzo?)
Salvatore is married and age 25, from Santa Flavia, leaving wife Grazia Sanfilippo in Porticello...
Going to brother Giuseppe Crisci in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Stated that he was in US in 1903 and 1907 also.
Page 1 - Line 26
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0026
Page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0026
T.
Salvatore is married and age 25, from Santa Flavia, leaving wife Grazia Sanfilippo in Porticello...
Going to brother Giuseppe Crisci in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Stated that he was in US in 1903 and 1907 also.
Page 1 - Line 26
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0026
Page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0026
T.
Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello
Looks like Grazia may have been in US before the 1929 manifest you mention...
Here is WWI registration card (about 1917) for Salvatore, living in Milwaukee. He lists his wife Grazia, same address, as nearest relative...
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1479/criscisalwwi.jpg
T.
Here is WWI registration card (about 1917) for Salvatore, living in Milwaukee. He lists his wife Grazia, same address, as nearest relative...
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1479/criscisalwwi.jpg
T.
Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello
According to the 1930 US Census, son Frank (Francesco) was born in Wisconsin...I did find a manifest with her bringing the children over (Vincenzo b9 MAR 1912, Francesco 6 JUL 1916 & Francesca 1921) in 1929 - Salvatore must have been in America since at least 1904.
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/3402 ... census.jpg
T.
Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello
If Salvatore had a Social Security #, you can request his SS application for a fee. This should identify his parents, and his place of birth...do not know his parents names, nor that of Grazia (Grace)
If you don't know his SS# they can do a search (more $$). However, the SS# usually shows up on a death certificate.
Request at this site...
http://genealogy.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi= ... t/main.jsp
T.
EDITED to include SSDI info...
Social Security Death Index
about Salvatore Crisci
Name: Salvatore Crisci
SSN: 388-03-2073
Last Residence: 53202 Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States of America
Born: 27 Aug 1886
Died: Nov 1973
State (Year) SSN issued: Wisconsin (Before 1951)
Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello
Possible Naturalization card for Grazia Crisci of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4354 ... tindex.jpg
And for Salvatore Crisci at same address
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/6623 ... tindex.jpg
T.
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4354 ... tindex.jpg
And for Salvatore Crisci at same address
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/6623 ... tindex.jpg
T.
Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello
THANK YOU! I had posted (but its not showing now - wonder if it was too big and removed?) their passage over and it was a 'hmm ' moment because it listed Francesco as a US CIT - so obviously Grazia must have come back and forth as well a few times.
Seems odd that she would have left the children in Sicilia to come to Wisconsin, obviously gave birth here to one child, than traveled back to Sicilia - and with their sister being born much later (and in Santa Flavia no less), someone traveled at least once more to have that event occur!
Thank you for finding all of this! I was hoping that if I could find out where they buried him, that I could get more info from the cemetary records. And I do have a SS# - at least I believe it to be his, so will definitely order that!
Seems odd that she would have left the children in Sicilia to come to Wisconsin, obviously gave birth here to one child, than traveled back to Sicilia - and with their sister being born much later (and in Santa Flavia no less), someone traveled at least once more to have that event occur!
Thank you for finding all of this! I was hoping that if I could find out where they buried him, that I could get more info from the cemetary records. And I do have a SS# - at least I believe it to be his, so will definitely order that!
Re: Santa Flavia / Potinello
For this one, I think that the person above Salvatore is the brother in law to Giuseppi but that Salvator IS a brother - the lines (lack of) make it hard to read, but since the address is the same for both. The D'Aquisto throws me, but that is another name for research to be sure!Tessa78 wrote:So far, this is all I know - I have his DOB 27 AUG 1886 and know his wifes name was Grace (Grazia I am assuming) Sanfilippo DOB c 1886- I did find a manifest with her bringing the children over (Vincenzo b9 MAR 1912, Francesco 6 JUL 1916 & Francesca 1921) in 1929 - Salvatore must have been in America since at least 1904.
I think Salvatore traveled back and forth a number of times...
Possible manifest in 1903, arriving at age 16 from Santa Flavia, going to Milwaukee to brother-in-law Giuseppe D'Aquisto (maybe the husband of his sister???)
Line 14
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0014
T.

