Hello,
my surname is Salvail, I'm in Canada, but my ancestors are from Pinerolo. I was wondering if anybody here is from there.
Winemaker
Salvaye - Pinerolo
Salvaye - Pinerolo
Winemaker
Re: Salvaye - Pinerolo
Hi Winemaker,
I am not from Pinorolo. Just wanted to ask you if you have researched your ancestral family... if so, have you been able to get any info from the Canadian archives?
But what I really wanted to ask is ... how's that big truck stop in Kingston? I've had a few breakfasts there myself... always a pleasure to stop there after a long trip on the "401"....
I am not from Pinorolo. Just wanted to ask you if you have researched your ancestral family... if so, have you been able to get any info from the Canadian archives?
But what I really wanted to ask is ... how's that big truck stop in Kingston? I've had a few breakfasts there myself... always a pleasure to stop there after a long trip on the "401"....
Re: Salvaye - Pinerolo
Hi dude,
the truck stop your talking abouty, is that the Husky, with the big Canadian flag?
As for my ancestry, I haven't done much rersearch on it. I've been fortunate in that a book was written in 1976, celebraitng the Centanial of a City. In which they talk about the history of that city. Including its first habitants from the 1600's. Of which my ancestors were part of.
An uncle of mine came across somebody that had researched and filled in the blanks between those early settlers and us.
Right now I've got the links to the Italians Salvay from Pinerolo.
What about you, what are you doing here?
the truck stop your talking abouty, is that the Husky, with the big Canadian flag?
As for my ancestry, I haven't done much rersearch on it. I've been fortunate in that a book was written in 1976, celebraitng the Centanial of a City. In which they talk about the history of that city. Including its first habitants from the 1600's. Of which my ancestors were part of.
An uncle of mine came across somebody that had researched and filled in the blanks between those early settlers and us.
Right now I've got the links to the Italians Salvay from Pinerolo.
What about you, what are you doing here?
Winemaker
Re: Salvaye - Pinerolo
Nice to hear from you!
I checked out the passengers who left Pinerolo (Ellis Island passengers) and didn't come across your surname...
I also checked out your Salvaye surname (Ellis Island passengers) and I assume it was slightly different a number of years ago...
Do you have any idea what it might have been?
Happy Easter,
mfjp
I checked out the passengers who left Pinerolo (Ellis Island passengers) and didn't come across your surname...
I also checked out your Salvaye surname (Ellis Island passengers) and I assume it was slightly different a number of years ago...
Do you have any idea what it might have been?
... what ?? you mean here in Canada or on this forum??? 1rst generation Canadian... and love to be part of this forum... made some really nice friends here..What about you, what are you doing here?
Happy Easter,
mfjp
Re: Salvai/Salvay - Pinerolo
Hi Winemaker,
Being from Canada, I'm sure that you are directly descended from Pierre (probably Pietro) Salvay of Pinerolo, son of Giovanni Battista (or Jean-Baptiste, in French) Salvai/Salvay. Check out a Salvai/Salvay coat of arms below:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/blasonpiemon/Pagina8.html
Being from Canada, I'm sure that you are directly descended from Pierre (probably Pietro) Salvay of Pinerolo, son of Giovanni Battista (or Jean-Baptiste, in French) Salvai/Salvay. Check out a Salvai/Salvay coat of arms below:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/blasonpiemon/Pagina8.html
Re: Salvaye - Pinerolo
It's definitely not the fanciest coat of arms.... 8O
But, looking at my father and my grandfather, I'd say it fits. They are both tough cookies.
How do we know it's a real one?
If it is, I'll have it tatooed on my shoulder.
But, looking at my father and my grandfather, I'd say it fits. They are both tough cookies.
How do we know it's a real one?
If it is, I'll have it tatooed on my shoulder.
Winemaker
Re: Salvai/Salvay - Pinerolo
Winemaker,
To answer your question, it seems like a very reputable website. The
site creator is not **SPAM** anything. If you scroll down to the
bottom of the following web page, he even lists all of his sources.
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/blasonpiemon/index1.html
However, I wouldn't get that tatoo just yet. What you saw is not a complete coat of arms, it's just the shield part. We don't even know if it applies to all Salvais from Pinerolo or just to one specific branch.
When I find out more, I'll post it here asap. Please hold off on the tatoo until then.
FYI, to see the distribution of the Salvai name in Italy, please visit the sites below.
http://elenco.libero.it/elencotel/publi ... ome=salvai
http://www.gens.labo.net/
Enter Salvai in the "cognome" box on the far left of your screen.
You'll get a map of Italy with the surname distribution. You can go
back and enter Salvay, too.
Take care.
To answer your question, it seems like a very reputable website. The
site creator is not **SPAM** anything. If you scroll down to the
bottom of the following web page, he even lists all of his sources.
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/blasonpiemon/index1.html
However, I wouldn't get that tatoo just yet. What you saw is not a complete coat of arms, it's just the shield part. We don't even know if it applies to all Salvais from Pinerolo or just to one specific branch.
When I find out more, I'll post it here asap. Please hold off on the tatoo until then.
FYI, to see the distribution of the Salvai name in Italy, please visit the sites below.
http://elenco.libero.it/elencotel/publi ... ome=salvai
http://www.gens.labo.net/
Enter Salvai in the "cognome" box on the far left of your screen.
You'll get a map of Italy with the surname distribution. You can go
back and enter Salvay, too.
Take care.
Winemaker wrote:It's definitely not the fanciest coat of arms.... 8O
But, looking at my father and my grandfather, I'd say it fits. They are both tough cookies.
How do we know it's a real one?
If it is, I'll have it tatooed on my shoulder.

