My Great Grandfather, Antonio Yarusso/Iarusso, became a naturalized citizen of the US in 1918. The document he filled out contains a wealth of information about when and from where he arrived, but it all appears to be incorrect, misspelled, or recollected from hazy memories. The fact that I have not been able to find an Ellis Island record for him does not help. The last name is one that is notoriously misspelled in most records I have been able to find (the 1920 US census, for example, shows up as Yamso). I have a copy of the petition in PDF, but it won't let me attach it to a post.
From the Naturalization Petition:
Born: January 13, 1879 [Correct, as far as I know]
Wife: Rosaria/Rosina Damasco [There is an Ellis Island record for her, arriving June 14, 1902 with two daughters to join Antonio Iarusso, already in the US]
From the Town of: Patanzzu
Arrive on the boat "Treon Prince." Probably a Prince Line vessel, but this does not appear to be an actual boat name that Prince operated.
Arrived March 17, 1900. No records of a Prince line boat arriving this day, or within a couple days either side of this date. There were two other Prince line arrivals this month, one on the Spartan Prince and the other on the Tartan Prince, no sign of him on either boat.
Without knowing the town he last resided in, it has been impossible to trace family history in Italy past this point. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Yarusso / Bad Records
Re: Yarusso / Bad Records
For reference, 1902 manifest
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0001
Look under last residence, beneath the word "South" it looks like:
Marsico Nuovo, province: Potenza - region: Basilicata
Potenza=Patanzzu?
"Treon Prince" vessel could be "Trojan Prince."
Biff
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0001
Look under last residence, beneath the word "South" it looks like:
Marsico Nuovo, province: Potenza - region: Basilicata
Potenza=Patanzzu?
"Treon Prince" vessel could be "Trojan Prince."
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Yarusso / Bad Records
I look on ancestry for Antonio Yarusso/Iarusso birth record from Potenza > Marsico Nuovo > Atti di Nascita > 1879 and heres what came up Maybe Antonio Agrosa
Marty
Marty
Re: Yarusso / Bad Records
Done in one! Biff83, you were dead on with Marsico Nuovo. I was able to find their marriage record (1897, #35) and the birth record of their eldest daughter with Ancestry.com's digital files. Looks like Antonio was actually born in Lavello, according to the marriage record. Unfortuantely, records for Lavello don't seem to be on Ancestry, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
At the least, I've added another generation of family tree history today, and that's the most progress in years!
At the least, I've added another generation of family tree history today, and that's the most progress in years!
Re: Yarusso / Bad Records
http://www.paginebianche.it
Iarusso Rosina
85050 Marsicovetere (PZ)
Via Porta Annessa, 20
tel: 0975 69039
Damasco Angelo Mario
85059 Viggiano (PZ)
Viale Forge, 9
tel: 0975 61496
D'Agrosa Francesco
85050 Villa D'Agri (PZ)
Via Pasquale Festa Campanile, 71
tel: 0975 352832
http://www.altoagri.it/sito/comuni/marsicovetere.htm
http://www.comune.marsicovetere.pz.it/
http://www.comuneviggiano.it/
http://www.comune.lavello.pz.it/
http://www.basilicatanet.it/basilicatan ... t/home.jsp
Iarusso Rosina
85050 Marsicovetere (PZ)
Via Porta Annessa, 20
tel: 0975 69039
Damasco Angelo Mario
85059 Viggiano (PZ)
Viale Forge, 9
tel: 0975 61496
D'Agrosa Francesco
85050 Villa D'Agri (PZ)
Via Pasquale Festa Campanile, 71
tel: 0975 352832
http://www.altoagri.it/sito/comuni/marsicovetere.htm
http://www.comune.marsicovetere.pz.it/
http://www.comuneviggiano.it/
http://www.comune.lavello.pz.it/
http://www.basilicatanet.it/basilicatan ... t/home.jsp
Re: Yarusso / Bad Records
my grandparents last name was yarruso/iarrusso and they were from rionero in vultura which I believe is close to potzena (I’m a horrible speller so forgive me)..I know it’s been a while since this was posted..but I would try there..

