Hi everyone,
I need some help. I'm trying to do a family tree, but since I am living in Australia, And the birth records are all the way in a town in Sicily, called Acireale, I have no means of getting them.
Where do I start? Is there a website I should go? Like a Civil Commune, or a State Archives? Who do I ask via email? how much it will cost? Will they mail me a copy of the records? I feel a little lost when it comes down to this. I tried emailing a couple of parishes, but none have answered me back.
Thanks.
Where to Start: birth records from Acireale, Sicily
Re: Where to Start: birth records from Acireale, Sicily
Hi, Chinzia. Welcome to the forum!!
You can send a letter directly to the comune asking for the records you need. Send your letters to this address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Duomo (Palazzo di Città )
CAP 95024
Acireale (CT)
Italy
Here is a form letter to use, if you don't speak Italian:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
Most of the time they won't charge foreign residents for records (in fact, I think Italian law requires it), but they may charge postal fees (around 5 euros, I believe), although this is rare. At any rate, never send money unless they ask for it.
You could also order microfilm records from your local Family History Center. Here is a list of film they have available:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... i+Acireale+++
Find a center near you with this link:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
Hope this helps. Good luck with your research!!
You can send a letter directly to the comune asking for the records you need. Send your letters to this address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Duomo (Palazzo di Città )
CAP 95024
Acireale (CT)
Italy
Here is a form letter to use, if you don't speak Italian:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
Most of the time they won't charge foreign residents for records (in fact, I think Italian law requires it), but they may charge postal fees (around 5 euros, I believe), although this is rare. At any rate, never send money unless they ask for it.
You could also order microfilm records from your local Family History Center. Here is a list of film they have available:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... i+Acireale+++
Find a center near you with this link:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
Hope this helps. Good luck with your research!!
My Italian surnames:
Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone
Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile
Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone
Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile
Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Re: Where to Start: birth records from Acireale, Sicily
Also heres some reading about Italian records and how to read them
click on the prompts
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_ ... al_Records
and how to read them
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... ion_Guide/
Marty A
click on the prompts
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_ ... al_Records
and how to read them
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... ion_Guide/
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Where to Start: birth records from Acireale, Sicily
Great! Would they get annoyed if I were to ask for more than 1 birth certificate in one letter?
Thanks everyone! This is really appreciated!
Thanks everyone! This is really appreciated!
Re: Where to Start: birth records from Acireale, Sicily
Chinzia wrote:Great! Would they get annoyed if I were to ask for more than 1 birth certificate in one letter?
Thanks everyone! This is really appreciated!
It's probably best to only ask for one at a time, especially if you're not exactly sure when they were born. I asked for multiple copies in one letter once, and I never received a reply.
My Italian surnames:
Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone
Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile
Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone
Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile
Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

