Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Post by mfjp »

Really nice manifest info supplied!!

Map of Area

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main ... T&2z=&2ah=

I think the address is 271 1/2 Water Street....?? (Where Maria was going to live with her brother Antonio)...if so Marco could have easily lived in this enumeration district...

(No Wale St. but a WALL Street does exist in New Haven.

Wallace St. can also be seen on this map as well. Really love these little maps, wldspirit. :P

Mark, you would probably know better. What do you think? Water or Wall St.
-------------------------

1930 Census image

http://img72.exs.cx/img72/6823/1930depal8hc.jpg

Mark, I will be linking the other census (1910-1920) records here later today for you to view and print or download from.

Also thanks Jacqueline, :P
in Comiziano, near Naples
will also check this out too.

mfjp
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Post by mfjp »

THE TOWN OF INTEREST IS R U V I A N O, CASERTA

Here is Marco's manifest (Ellis Island link broken)

http://img169.exs.cx/img169/7497/1894dipalma9nj.jpg

First Name: Moreo (clearly Marco)
Last Name: di Palma
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Ruviano (Caserta)
Date of Arrival: April 21, 1894
Age at Arrival:  21y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:    
Ship of Travel: Cachemire
Port of Departure: Naples & Marseille
Manifest Line Number: 0539
------------------------------------------------------------
I found a 1900 Census of a Michaele DiPalma living in New York -single, the age is correct, occupation barber. Still not sure if this is him...

It mentions that he immigrated in 1894. I think this is our 4th different immigration date.

I found a Marco DiPalma manifest of 1894 from RUVIANO, Caserta...(not too far from Benevento) on his way to New York.

I then looked for other DiPalma’s from RUVIANO. One in particular, Antonio DiPalma. On his Manifest, it says he was going to his brother Marco’s home on 141 Hamilton Street, in New Haven.

Map of 141 Hamilton Street and Water Street (where Maria lived)

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main ... T&2z=&2ah=

First Name: Antonio (Marco's Brother)
Last Name: Di Palma
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Ruviano
Date of Arrival: March 11, 1899
Age at Arrival:  29y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: Trojan Prince
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0003

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 5116050063

Here is Antonio again... this time he going to 167 WALLACE Street!!!!

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2365020545

But what is even better... is the passenger(Ernesto Coppola) above Antonio on this manifest -also mentions MARCO....

RUVIANO TO BENEVENTO MAP

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/euro ... CK6Jg%253d

mfjp

there's more...
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Post by wldspirit »

I found this interesting, note the name of the town..........
lines 6 and 7..........

Name: Federico, Michelina
Arrival: May 13, 1903
From: Ruovano
traveling with son......
Name: Palma,Amedeo Di
Age: 1yr. 7months........U.S. born......
destination is New Haven, 167 Wall.......ST.
father/husband is Marco.........

http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0007

wldspirit
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Post by mfjp »

His nephew Andrea, going to Uncle Marco's in New Haven

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0040%2ETIF

First Name: Andrea
Last Name: Di Palma
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Ruviano, Italy
Date of Arrival: September 18, 1922
Age at Arrival:  25y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Providence
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0014

mfjp
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Post by mfjp »

Way to go, Wldspirit!!! :P :P That's a great find!!!

Not only the name of town...take a look at the address!!
I found this interesting, note the name of the town..........
lines 6 and 7..........
It is Wallace Street!!!
destination is New Haven, 167 Wall.......ST.
father/husband is Marco.........
:P
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Post by wldspirit »

What about this Ernesto Coppolla......? Possible relative to Federico,Maria Cappola....?

Someone really needs to sum up all this info.........I think we have uncovered more than MLDP98 asked for......LOL......

Way to go everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

wldspirit

note: on Antonio and Ernesto's manifest for march 10, 1905....there are at least 4 joining/ listing Marco DiPalma.......as cousin.........great find MFJP!!
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Post by mfjp »

Another brother... Angelo...

Angelo....going to Antonio's place instead...since Marco's home was gettiing a little too crowded!!

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2437080641

First Name: Angelo
Last Name: DiPalma
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Ruviano, Caserta
Date of Arrival: August 09, 1905
Age at Arrival:  24y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: Prinz Oscar
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0005

Ernesto Coppola would be Marco's cousin...(info from manifest)

mfjp
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Post by mfjp »

For your records...

1910 Census
http://img136.exs.cx/img136/7600/depalm19106lg.jpg

There is a Coppola on this list (as a step-son)

1920 Census
http://img136.exs.cx/img136/340/1920depal3dx.jpg

1930 Census
http://img136.exs.cx/img136/8748/1930depal1sw.jpg

1900 Census-immigration date here helped find the manifest... but wasn't he already married in 1900? He would 14th on this list... hard to see.

http://img136.exs.cx/img136/3209/1900cendipal7zo.jpg

Also, the person Marco traveled to the USA with...Pasquale...lives very close to a DiPalma Federico... (maybe another brother for Marco?)

http://img236.exs.cx/img236/8054/pasq7uy.jpg

Name:   Pasquale Rossetti
Home in 1900:   Manhattan, New York, New York
Age:   35
Estimated birth year:   1865
Birthplace:   Italy
Race:   White
Relationship to head-of-house:   Head
Occupation:   View Image
Immigration year:   1890
Image source:   Year: 1900; Census Place: Manhattan, New York, New York; Roll: T623 1085; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 117.

mfjp
User avatar
Essgee
Master
Master
Posts: 777
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Post by Essgee »

Great job MFJP!

Looks like you solved the puzzle! What a find.

Have a great one!
User avatar
MLDP98
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 31 Mar 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: For Your Records

Post by MLDP98 »

Thanks again MFJP for all of your help in locating the immigration records of my grandfather Marco DePalma, including the names and ages of his brother and nephew! I also appreciate the links to all of the available online census records! It is great to have them all in one place!

I also discovered something that I didn't know before because of your posting! It seems that by you making the 1930 census record available in this forum I have found another important piece of missing info! Up until last night I was only able to determine that my grandparents were married sometime between 1897 and 1900! But I found a notation in the 1930 census(my first time viewing that census) which indicates that my grandfather was 25 years old when he first married! So since I already knew that he was born in 1873(I still don't know the month and the day) it is very easy to see now that he was married at the age of 25 in the year 1898! Fantastic job MFJP!

Thanks again,
Mark DePalma
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Post by mfjp »

Hello Mark, thank you for the kind words and you too Essgee.

EssGee you were right about the other DiPalma on that census record holding clues. Also your info about the Naturalization Process info is really good reference material. This is where I copy, cut - paste and learn.

The puzzle ain’t over.

Though the town of interest is Ruviano, Caserta, I am a little doubtful that Ruviano could have been the town that Marco’s parents were born.

The Ellis Island database only had about .5-6 DiPalma’s coming from there. The same brothers who made a couple of trips. Where are all the other DiPalma’s??? Just not enough of them.

A person of interest was Federico DiPalma who hapened to be on the last census record I posted (Pasquale Rossetti’s).

I did see a manifest for a Federico who’s hometown is Arpino, Caserta.

I think suanj also is heading in the right direction and I will continue to look for info with them. Once you get started with this it’s hard to say “OK enough!"

suanj wrote
about Marco Michele De Palma relatives;
-Mark say that mother surname was MARSELIA( Maria Angela first name);
-most probable that was MARSILIO (or MARSILIA version);
-are possible, for someone showing the census in New Haven around 1900 /1910 abt Marsilio people?(I'm interested to name father of Dorothy Marsilio born in 1911 and living in New Haven) .
Knowing the italian birthplace of Marsilios emigrated in New Haven ( sure was), well, we will know also italian birthplace(or same birtharea) of Marco Michele DE PALMA .
waiting an reply,
suanj
There is a new post that wldspirit initiated as now the Marselia -Marsilo names need to be figured out.

If Marco and Maria are watching they’d be proud to see a great group effort here.. :P

mfjp
acman319
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: 11 Apr 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname:DEPALMA, Town:Unknown

Post by acman319 »

wldspirit wrote:Providing these manifest........may provide clues?........and clear up any confusion on dates. Someone other than myself will have to read them,
I am terrible at reading this old script.... :oops:

Name: Federico,Maria Cappola
From: Faicehio, Italy
Arrival:1899 Age:59
traveling with husband......
Name: Federico, Benedette Giovanni
From: Faicehio
Arrival: 1899 Age: 60
Destination: son Antonio? in New Haven........

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2965030123

Name: Maria Michela Federico
From: Faicchio
Arrival: 1898 Age: 16
Destination: brother ? in New Haven.....270 1/2 W..?

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2687020296

Name: Tacinelly, Filomena
Arrival: 1923 Age: 54
Name: Federico, Maria Rosa
Arrival: 1923 Age: 15
re-joining husband Francesco Federico in New Haven,
list sister in Italy as Serafina..........

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2915020041


Keep in mind that manifest sometimes cover two pages, and it is neccesary to go a page ahead or a page back.........it appears your grandmother joined her brother Antonio.......and at one point their parents visited? After the manifest has been read by someone with more experience.....details can be summed up.
wldspirit
Where did you find information on Maria Cappola? My paternal great-grandmother's name was Maria Cappola (after she was married to my paternal great-grandfather, Giuseppe Cappola). But they were from Torre de' Passeri in Abruzzo. My grandfather knows all about his family's history in Italy, and this is what he has told me: his brother Giovanni (John) Cappola was born in Torre de' Passeri, but my grandfather was born in the United States in 1924. So his parents must have come over before 1924, and I know that some of his [my grandfather's] relatives came to the US through Canada. I have recently found a company in Toronto, Canada called Cappola Foods and their website (Cappola Foods), has a little Cappola family history on it. Is this enough information to help me in my geneaology search? I made a thread specifically for this topic of the Cappola surname. To find it, just search "Torre de' Passeri" in the thread search and look for my name "acman319" under the poster names.
Ciao!
Post Reply