Timeline for Comune?
Timeline for Comune?
I received my citizenship and passport about 8 months ago but still have not yet heard from my Comune, Montemesola. Does anyone know approx how long it takes to get any docs from them or if any are coming at all?
Grazia
Grazia
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Timeline for Comune?
It depends entirely on the comune. Some have received formal notification; some even receive a pretty document.
Many receive nothing. I myself have never heard a word from my comune, and it has been nearly three years. Frankly, I am disappointed to say the least. I would have thought that in a comune of 7,500 population my citizenship might have been seen as a welcome novelty worthy of some small notice. But instead, even my attempts to reach out - whether in requesting further information on my family or by sending Christmas cards to the mayor's office - are apparently not even worthy of a curt email in response.
As I said, I am quite disappointed by the entire affair and have little desire to return to my ancestral comune during future trips to Italy.
Many receive nothing. I myself have never heard a word from my comune, and it has been nearly three years. Frankly, I am disappointed to say the least. I would have thought that in a comune of 7,500 population my citizenship might have been seen as a welcome novelty worthy of some small notice. But instead, even my attempts to reach out - whether in requesting further information on my family or by sending Christmas cards to the mayor's office - are apparently not even worthy of a curt email in response.
As I said, I am quite disappointed by the entire affair and have little desire to return to my ancestral comune during future trips to Italy.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Timeline for Comune?
Me too, but I'm still going back; I love Napoli, and I forgive them. 
Actually, I received voting materials but nothing else. I think now, though, since it's clear I'm registered, I'll write to request a copy of my registered birth certificate.
Carmine, I just checked my paper work and it seems I received my citizenship a little before you did. I've been telling everyone my application was accepted five or six years ago. I guess it just seems that long.
Actually, I received voting materials but nothing else. I think now, though, since it's clear I'm registered, I'll write to request a copy of my registered birth certificate.
Carmine, I just checked my paper work and it seems I received my citizenship a little before you did. I've been telling everyone my application was accepted five or six years ago. I guess it just seems that long.
Re: Timeline for Comune?
Thank you both. Disappointing to say the least.
I would happily write an email to L'Ufficiale dello stato civile, but my Italian is not so good that I could feel comfortable about writing a formal request.
Thank you again.
DeVita
I would happily write an email to L'Ufficiale dello stato civile, but my Italian is not so good that I could feel comfortable about writing a formal request.
Thank you again.
DeVita
Re: Timeline for Comune?
There are several templates you can use for such letters. Check the template section at www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org I believe there is one posted there.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Timeline for Comune?
I was July, 2008 and I have received absolutely nothing from my ancestral comune. Thankfully, the New York City consulate is not one of those which requires you wait until you have an Italian birth record in hand from your comune before issuing a passport; I have no doubt I would still be waiting if that were the case.mler wrote:Me too, but I'm still going back; I love Napoli, and I forgive them.
Actually, I received voting materials but nothing else. I think now, though, since it's clear I'm registered, I'll write to request a copy of my registered birth certificate.
Carmine, I just checked my paper work and it seems I received my citizenship a little before you did. I've been telling everyone my application was accepted five or six years ago. I guess it just seems that long.
Honestly - and I have posted about this before - I find the whole affair rather annoying. I have gone above and beyond to reach out and have nothing to show for my efforts. It is not at all the reception I was expecting.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Timeline for Comune?
Wow, we really did get our citizenship about the same time--at NY too. I was a bit paranoid because when I applied for my passport, they took away my letter. Until the passport arrived, I had no proof that my citizenship had been approved--note to everyone; make a copy of the letter. I've saved every voting postcard from Napoli as further proof. (BTW, the postcard says that they will pay my transportation costs to get there to vote. I'm thinking they don't mean plane fare.
)
I'm sure you're registered at your comune, and they have an obligation to send you a copy of your registered bc, if you request it. Actually, I saw a statement to that effect on a Napoli webpage when I was looking for the address. Doesn't hurt to try.
This was the page for Napoli; I'm sure your comune has something similar:
http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pag ... agina/1343
I'm sure you're registered at your comune, and they have an obligation to send you a copy of your registered bc, if you request it. Actually, I saw a statement to that effect on a Napoli webpage when I was looking for the address. Doesn't hurt to try.
This was the page for Napoli; I'm sure your comune has something similar:
http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pag ... agina/1343
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Timeline for Comune?
Nope; no such thing here: http://www.comune.roccasecca.fr.it/mler wrote:This was the page for Napoli; I'm sure your comune has something similar:
http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pag ... agina/1343
To be fair, it is a new site they seem to be building as it has changed substantially from the one that existed up until several months ago (Internet web archive from 2009: http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200903 ... cca.fr.it/ ). Nevertheless, the comune has ignored every attempt to contact them and obtain documents - regular mail, Express mail, and email. I have even included photocopies of the inside pages of my passaporto Italiana to no avail.
I am sorry, but there is no viable excuse for this. As I said earlier, even a simple email stating "Non capisco la domanda" would be an acceptable alternative to simply ignoring me completely.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Timeline for Comune?
Why would you think that the Comune in Italy would be excited to have you as a citizen? It is just extra work for them and they are already overworked (in their minds at least).
The citizens here don't get a copy of their birth certificate to keep. When they need one they ask for one and state for what purpose. Then a certificate or an extract is typed up. Italians never get to see the original.
If you need a certificate for passport purposes, request one from the Comune, remember to pay the 26 cents (I think) and include an addressed envelope. Oh yes, and the date your birth was registered. It will be in that years book not the birth year.
As for Roccasecca, they are a law unto themselves. Even when I go in person it is difficult to get records.
The citizens here don't get a copy of their birth certificate to keep. When they need one they ask for one and state for what purpose. Then a certificate or an extract is typed up. Italians never get to see the original.
If you need a certificate for passport purposes, request one from the Comune, remember to pay the 26 cents (I think) and include an addressed envelope. Oh yes, and the date your birth was registered. It will be in that years book not the birth year.
As for Roccasecca, they are a law unto themselves. Even when I go in person it is difficult to get records.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Timeline for Comune?
Interesting. Then the letter I wrote will not generate a response because I gave the year of birth and not the year of registration. (I wrote that I was registered several years ago.) Do you suggest I write another?
Also, the comune does not indicate that there is a cost for this service, and given the fluctuating exchange rates, it would be difficult to determine how much to send and in what form. Any suggestions?
There is no specific need for this document other than an official confirmation of registration for future generations.
Also, the comune does not indicate that there is a cost for this service, and given the fluctuating exchange rates, it would be difficult to determine how much to send and in what form. Any suggestions?
There is no specific need for this document other than an official confirmation of registration for future generations.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Timeline for Comune?
You may want to consider requesting a Certificato di Cittadinanza also, or in place of, the birth record.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Timeline for Comune?
Curiously, this site ( http://www.homeonline.it/doc.cfm/86/cer ... 4AodpRXc9w ) seems to say that Certificati di Cittadinanza for Italians living abroad and regiestered in AIRE cannot be obtained from the comune but must be requested from the consulate where the person is registered.johnnyonthespot wrote:You may want to consider requesting a Certificato di Cittadinanza also, or in place of, the birth record.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Timeline for Comune?
Good luck getting that in New York (or Newark for that matter). 
I read further and found this statement:
"Che validità ha il Certificato di Cittadinanza?
Il Certificato di Cittadinanza ha validità 6 mesi dalla data di rilascio."
It seems, then, that it may not be worth the effort.
I'm going to wait a month and then try again for the estratto of my birth certificate, this time giving them the year of registration. Give it another try, Carmine. Maybe you didn't give them the registration year either.
I read further and found this statement:
"Che validità ha il Certificato di Cittadinanza?
Il Certificato di Cittadinanza ha validità 6 mesi dalla data di rilascio."
It seems, then, that it may not be worth the effort.
I'm going to wait a month and then try again for the estratto of my birth certificate, this time giving them the year of registration. Give it another try, Carmine. Maybe you didn't give them the registration year either.
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Timeline for Comune?
Maybe self-certification ("Autocertificazione") is the way to go.
Start at http://www.comuni.it/autocertificazione ... azioni.htm and click on Cittidinanza. Complete the form:

image upload
Cognome: Your surname in all caps; add "JR" or other suffix as applicable.
Nome: Given name
Nato/a a: your city, state, and country (in Italian) of birth. For example, "Port Chester NY Stati Uniti d'America"
Prov.: The province code for places outside Italy is "EE"
il: As near as I can tell, this is for the Italian CAP (zip) code. Leave blank?
Residente a: current city, state, country of residence
Prov.: as above
Indirizzo: name of street where you reside.
No.: street number
Comune alla cui anagrafe si é iscritti: comune where you are registered.
After clicking the Crea il certificato biutton, you get a nice document like this one:

post image wordpress
Start at http://www.comuni.it/autocertificazione ... azioni.htm and click on Cittidinanza. Complete the form:

image upload
Cognome: Your surname in all caps; add "JR" or other suffix as applicable.
Nome: Given name
Nato/a a: your city, state, and country (in Italian) of birth. For example, "Port Chester NY Stati Uniti d'America"
Prov.: The province code for places outside Italy is "EE"
il: As near as I can tell, this is for the Italian CAP (zip) code. Leave blank?
Residente a: current city, state, country of residence
Prov.: as above
Indirizzo: name of street where you reside.
No.: street number
Comune alla cui anagrafe si é iscritti: comune where you are registered.
After clicking the Crea il certificato biutton, you get a nice document like this one:

post image wordpress
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
