Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
Hey no worries..I appreciate the help!! How are you going about it though? Haha I couldn't provide much information other then names, and maybe a decade they were married. Are you asking for a marriage certificate for a Raffaele La Porta and Paola Morabito, and then link it from there? Sorry, I'm still learning the ropes with all this genealogy research!
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
Hi
I asked my cousin in Cumia if the names were known to her and how you would go about finding any info. She replied they were not familiar to her, but she would get back to me. I thought she worked in the Messina clerk's office. I might be mistaken. I"ll ask my Denver cousin if he knows where she works. She was able to obtain my grandparents' marriage certificate. I'll email her again this weekend.
Pat
I asked my cousin in Cumia if the names were known to her and how you would go about finding any info. She replied they were not familiar to her, but she would get back to me. I thought she worked in the Messina clerk's office. I might be mistaken. I"ll ask my Denver cousin if he knows where she works. She was able to obtain my grandparents' marriage certificate. I'll email her again this weekend.
Pat
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
Hello Pat,
Hey I really appreciate this...I found some other little bit of information that might help...I have the address of Paola Morabito and Raffaele La Porta from where they were living in 1882...or at least where my Great Grandfather Marino was born...it's via olivarelia, house number 32.. I don't know if that would help at all..ok talk to you soon.
Anthony
Hey I really appreciate this...I found some other little bit of information that might help...I have the address of Paola Morabito and Raffaele La Porta from where they were living in 1882...or at least where my Great Grandfather Marino was born...it's via olivarelia, house number 32.. I don't know if that would help at all..ok talk to you soon.
Anthony
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
did they do a 10 year averaging in finding the record?? =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
I was talking to someone else from another municipal..they were saying that it all depends on how the records were indexed. Sometimes they were indexed every year, two years, five years or ten years... Depending on that is how much of a broad search they can do. So just have to hope the town did a ten year indexing for that decade I guess
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
for pscinta1- I am a Morabito from Buffalo, NY, too. I am trying to find my relatives in Sicily. I have very little info. My dad, Vincent, and my uncle, Frank, owned Main Transit Market in Clarence. Both are now deceased. Did you know them? I believe that my granfather, Santi or Santo was from an area near Palermo. He told us that one of his sisters died in the aftermath of a Mt. Etna eruption. Does any of this sound familiar to you?
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
Hi there to all the Morabito's I have recently found out that my family also has Morabito's from Cumia Inferiore, my 2nd great grandmother Domenica Morabito from Cumia Inf. married my 2nd great grandfather Giuseppe Cucinotta from Cumia Superiore. Ive now spent some time researching the LDS microfilms for these towns and also Messina Villages where BDM's for both towns are on these microfilms. Cumia Inferiore certainly has a large proportion of people named Morabito.
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
Hello Lili... Domenica Morabito wouldn't happen to be born about 1821 would she?
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
Hi Lu, Yes actually, she was born around 1821 and I have so far worked out that she died before 1892. She married Giuseppe Cucinotta (from Cumia Sup.)on 29 Oct 1843 (I have a copy of this from LDS). Domenica's father was Santo Morabito and mother was Paola Vinci (parents: Giuseppe and Angela Galletta). That's as far as Ive gone so far. There are soooo many Santo Morabito's that its quite confusing. But I think his father was Pietro and his mother might be Domenica Galletta. The number of Galletta's with the same 1st name is also confusing me alot.
Any connections for you? If yes would love to swap info.
Please excuse delays in my replies I wk and Im in Aust hence the delay.
Lili
Any connections for you? If yes would love to swap info.
Please excuse delays in my replies I wk and Im in Aust hence the delay.
Lili
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
That's who I have as her parents also.. Domenica Morabito's brother is my 3rd great grandfather, his name was Francesco Morabito born about 1816 in Cumia Superiore. I have them all being born in Superiore though, not Inferiore, I could be wrong though.
This is all I have been able to find:
Santi or Santo Morabito born abt 1796 Cumia Sup. married Paola Vinci born abt 1798 Cumia Sup.
Children:
Pietro..born abt 1811 Cumia Sup
Giuseppe..born abt 1813 Cumia Sup
Francesco..born abt 1816 Cumia Sup
Domenica..born abt 1821 Cumia Sup
Caterina Angela..born Jan 19 1826-Died Mar 11 1826 Cumia Sup
It seems the parents that you found for Santo and Paola would be right given how they named their children. I have been stuck for awhile now, if you have exact dates or anymore people that would be great!! Talk to you soon 5th cousin!! lol I think that would be right.
This is all I have been able to find:
Santi or Santo Morabito born abt 1796 Cumia Sup. married Paola Vinci born abt 1798 Cumia Sup.
Children:
Pietro..born abt 1811 Cumia Sup
Giuseppe..born abt 1813 Cumia Sup
Francesco..born abt 1816 Cumia Sup
Domenica..born abt 1821 Cumia Sup
Caterina Angela..born Jan 19 1826-Died Mar 11 1826 Cumia Sup
It seems the parents that you found for Santo and Paola would be right given how they named their children. I have been stuck for awhile now, if you have exact dates or anymore people that would be great!! Talk to you soon 5th cousin!! lol I think that would be right.
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
Oops..and another Caterina was born abt 1828...
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
Hey, That's exciting havn't met a cousin online before!Excellent! I got this info from the Cumia Sup. and Inf BDM microfilms. I am reasonably sure the Morabito side all come from Cumia Inf however having said that I still get tricked by the writing. I have photos of the records which have an exact date. Santo Morabito Bc1780-D 31 Aug 1854, Paola Vinci Bc 1785- D 5 Mar 1872, Mc 1810. Children:
Pietro Bc1811 M Nunzia Curro 13 Aug 1872
Giuseppe Bc 1813-D 1872 M 1840 to Domenica Mondello
Francesco Bc1816-D bef 1871 M to Francesca Venuti
Marina Bc1819 M 1842 Salvatore Villeri
Domenica Bc1821-D bef 1892 M 29 Oct 1843 to Giuseppe Cucinotta (10 children)
Santo Bc 1823 M to Domenica Pandolfino
Catarina B 18 Jan 1826 M 1855 to Giuseppe Curro ( I have no record of Catarina dying young however her twin did)
Angela B 18 Jan 1826-D 11 Mar 1826
Matteo B 12 Feb 1829 M to Paola Morabito in 1858
Santa B 6 Apr 1831 M to Giovanni Guerrera
I have also found some of the children of the above but mostly I know Domenica's.
If I find more concrete info about Santo and Paola's parents I will let you know. If you want the info on the children of the above let me know.
Most of my tree is on Ancestry but only useful I guess if you are a member. Plus the Cumia research is the most recent so may not be complete on ancestry.
Keep in touch, Lili
PS where do you live?
Pietro Bc1811 M Nunzia Curro 13 Aug 1872
Giuseppe Bc 1813-D 1872 M 1840 to Domenica Mondello
Francesco Bc1816-D bef 1871 M to Francesca Venuti
Marina Bc1819 M 1842 Salvatore Villeri
Domenica Bc1821-D bef 1892 M 29 Oct 1843 to Giuseppe Cucinotta (10 children)
Santo Bc 1823 M to Domenica Pandolfino
Catarina B 18 Jan 1826 M 1855 to Giuseppe Curro ( I have no record of Catarina dying young however her twin did)
Angela B 18 Jan 1826-D 11 Mar 1826
Matteo B 12 Feb 1829 M to Paola Morabito in 1858
Santa B 6 Apr 1831 M to Giovanni Guerrera
I have also found some of the children of the above but mostly I know Domenica's.
If I find more concrete info about Santo and Paola's parents I will let you know. If you want the info on the children of the above let me know.
Most of my tree is on Ancestry but only useful I guess if you are a member. Plus the Cumia research is the most recent so may not be complete on ancestry.
Keep in touch, Lili
PS where do you live?
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
Also Im going to Italy in September and with a lot of luck I may be able to get my hands on some church records!!! I can but try. L
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
Wow, you have alot of info. Now I am wondering if I made a mistake with my research. You have Francesco marrying a Francesca Venuti, I have him marrying a Domenica Mondello (their daughter Paola Morabito is my 2nd great grandmother) and then Domenica dies and he married a Maria Sgarlato. I've never found a Francesco Venuti. Have you come across anything like that, or am I following the wrong line you think? I was in Sicily two years ago, but I didn't know half of the family names and locations as I do now, so I definetly have to go back. I live in the New York City area in the U.S.
Re: Cumia Sicily Genealogy Research
Hi Lu (is your name Lu? as Im just guessing), I looked at my tree again and according to the info I have gathered Francesco was a busy boy as it seems he married 3 times!
1. Married Domenica Mondello Bc1819-D1854 M1845 ( I should have the photo of this marriage record & Domenica's death record)
Children: Paola Bc1846, Santo B1848, Giacomo B1850, Paolo B1852
2. Married Maria Antonia Sgorlata (not sure of spelling) Bc1815 M 28 Jan 1855
Children: Maria B 1855
3. The last marriage I recorded was to Francesca Venuti Bc1822 hence when I wrote out the info last night it came up as who Francesco was married to. Children: Angela Bc1857 and Giovanna Bc1859
It seems I got the above info from Angela and Giovanna's marriage records so it is less certain that this is the same Francesco Morabito.
If you would like copies of the records I can send you a link to photobucket, however I would need some time to find them & put them online etc
What info do you have about your 2nd great grandmother Paola Morabito? as I will include it in my tree.
I live in Adelaide Australia, my parents came here in the 1950's so they taught me Sicilian.
Liliana
1. Married Domenica Mondello Bc1819-D1854 M1845 ( I should have the photo of this marriage record & Domenica's death record)
Children: Paola Bc1846, Santo B1848, Giacomo B1850, Paolo B1852
2. Married Maria Antonia Sgorlata (not sure of spelling) Bc1815 M 28 Jan 1855
Children: Maria B 1855
3. The last marriage I recorded was to Francesca Venuti Bc1822 hence when I wrote out the info last night it came up as who Francesco was married to. Children: Angela Bc1857 and Giovanna Bc1859
It seems I got the above info from Angela and Giovanna's marriage records so it is less certain that this is the same Francesco Morabito.
If you would like copies of the records I can send you a link to photobucket, however I would need some time to find them & put them online etc
What info do you have about your 2nd great grandmother Paola Morabito? as I will include it in my tree.
I live in Adelaide Australia, my parents came here in the 1950's so they taught me Sicilian.
Liliana
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.

