use of titles in vital records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
catcomp
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 26 Dec 2010, 22:13

use of titles in vital records

Post by catcomp »

I am working in Calabria area. Some of the marriage records give titles before the name.
Maestro Antonio Fera and his wife was la Signora Antonia Sergi (names are ficticious). What does this mean? Land ownership? Will also come across Don and La Donna? What is the significance. These appear in older records before 1860.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: use of titles in vital records

Post by Tessa78 »

Excerpts from Travis Cole's book may help... :-)

http://books.google.com/books?id=i_qgMM ... ro&f=false

T.
User avatar
catcomp
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 26 Dec 2010, 22:13

Re: use of titles in vital records

Post by catcomp »

thanks - the book worked for me
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: use of titles in vital records

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I was about to mention that this is a great book and a worthy addition to any Italian researcher's shelf, but then I noticed that it is apparently out of print and used copies at online retailers like Amazon and Barnes & Noble are going for $68 to $295.95!!

Wow! Maybe I should dust mine off and put it up for auction while the market is hot!
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Post Reply