Help wanted from Argentina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 92
Joined: 24 Jul 2009, 03:30
Location: Australia

Re: Help wanted from Argentina

Post by Lili2 »

Oh wow! We arrived in Taormina yesterday. Here for a week but have been in Sicily for 3 weeks now. Its tricky trying to see all the rels..half in Messina, half in Fiumefreddo. Weather is just gorgeous here. I live in Adelaide, South Australia but was born in QLD near Cairns and grew up in NSW. My sister lives in Sydney. Hope to get to Giampilieri at some stage this week. Happy to send chart. I may not get to that this week but definitely when I have more time at home. It will be great to share info. Also I checked the civil registration photos that I have on Salvatore Zagami. The one I have info on was married to a Maddalena Basile. They had lots of children in Fiumefreddo but many also died. I also have info on a Francesco and a Nunzio Zagami ie mainly marriage records of some of their kids. Nunzio was married to Rosaria Vitali.
Talk soon, Liliana
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.
Zagami
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 18 Sep 2011, 05:19

Re: Help wanted from Argentina

Post by Zagami »

Sounds like ur having a great time. I went to Sicily a few years back but only just started being interested in my family tree. My email address is tetta_86@hotmail.com if u could forward me any information u hav found once u return home and get the time. Much appreciated :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Help wanted from Argentina

Post by PeterTimber »

~Peter~
User avatar
carmine1917
Elite
Elite
Posts: 269
Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 02:10
Location: New York

Re: Help wanted from Argentina

Post by carmine1917 »

I am trying to find my great-aunt, Nuniza Giunta, she married Gaetano Alessandro. I was told she went to Argentina, did she go with her husband? I have no idea. I saw a record in Piazza Armerina, Sicily that she went to NY in 1914. I can't find anything here on her. I have a birth date, who she married etc. I did check Cemla, it didn't have her. What should I try next?
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Help wanted from Argentina

Post by PeterTimber »

my computer crashing ..last message out...go to www.castlegarden.org and trace by name, date of departure, town che came from...just put in GIUNTA no first name..first name maybe double or mispronounced or other first name not on birth records....www.ellisisland.com has records after 1892 so double check just Giunta there too..name, date or town of origin. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
carmine1917
Elite
Elite
Posts: 269
Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 02:10
Location: New York

Re: Help wanted from Argentina

Post by carmine1917 »

Hi, I did check them, so many different times, so many different ways. I spent hours on stevemorse.org just going by province or town. My grandma came the same year in 1914 and put the province as where she came from, it was Caltannissetta at the time, now it is Enna. She was married in Sicily, when she came to America or Argentina would she use her married name or her maiden name, like they do in Italy?
User avatar
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 92
Joined: 24 Jul 2009, 03:30
Location: Australia

Re: Help wanted from Argentina

Post by Lili2 »

Hi Micheles,
Ive found Argentina to be really difficult to find info. You could try writing to the Civil Reg office in Buenos Aires and request a death record. The address is:

Registro civil
Uruguay 753 C.P 1018
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Give them an approximate range of years but no more than 10. It is recommended that you send $20 and self addressed envelope & Reply Paid Coupon so they dont need to pay for stamps. I did this and while they were unable to find any information they did respond but it took about 3 months.
The Radici website could be worth trying. Thats where I first found info about my great grandmother's immigration to Argentina.
I guess you've read all the really good suggestions that people have made on the first two pages of this topic?
All the best, let me know if you find her.
Lili
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.
User avatar
carmine1917
Elite
Elite
Posts: 269
Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 02:10
Location: New York

Re: Help wanted from Argentina

Post by carmine1917 »

I don't have a death date. All I have his birth date, her marriage year and when i was in Sicily a census in 1930 saying she went to NY in 1914. but my dad said she lived in Argentina. So I have no death date and no idea what to do:(
User avatar
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 92
Joined: 24 Jul 2009, 03:30
Location: Australia

Re: Help wanted from Argentina

Post by Lili2 »

I wish I had the answers but unfortunately I dont as Ive not been at all successful in getting info from Argentina. You could try a guess re death period as I did. But admittedly I knew that my great grandmother was alive until the 1950's b/c she was still writing to my grandfather. So I guessed she died b/w 1960 and 1970. The letter I received said they checked right up until the 1980's with no success. Perhaps try some suggestions made by others on this forum on the first 2 pages of this topic. All the best.
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.
User avatar
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 92
Joined: 24 Jul 2009, 03:30
Location: Australia

Re: Help wanted from Argentina: Happy Ending

Post by Lili2 »

Great News! I have finally tracked them down. :D Its taken alot of persistence but I am pleased to say Im in contact with my lost family in Argentina. The missing link I needed was a photo that I found in my aunty's old photos.So glad I went through all of them when I visited Sicily last year. The photo had a name and some words in Spanish. The big clue that I needed. This led to my finding the corresponding name in the white pages in Buenos Aires. And yes I had the right person and the right family! And now at last I have some answers.
Dont give up.....
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.
User avatar
carmine1917
Elite
Elite
Posts: 269
Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 02:10
Location: New York

Re: Help wanted from Argentina

Post by carmine1917 »

This is great news!!
Post Reply