adelfio wrote:If your sure she was born in Pavia what I would do since the birth records are at Family History Library I would get the film for Carmelina Toscani , b. 1887 in Pavia and check the info on there(parents names ages and misc info)
FHL Film Pavia (Pavia), 1866-1929
Nati(births) sett. 1884-nov. 1889
FHL INTL Film# 2163699
You have to remember Italian marriages take place 95% of the time in the brides home town which was Milano if the other kids were born there if your info is right.
Where did the Toscani's settle in the states
Marty
Marty,
I'm so glad you are asking me these questions, because it is causing me to go back and check my sources for information which I gathered a long time ago, when I was just starting to do geneaology research. In fact I made several mistakes!
I know from Carmelina's obituary that she was born in Pavia, that is the only proof I have.
Her sister Maria Gina was NOT born in Milano, her husband was. That was a mistake which I made on ancestry.com when I attached her husband's WW II Draft card to her record as proof of residence in 1942 - I forgot to uncheck "place of birth" and Milano was automatically entered over her previous place of birth. In fact her passenger manifest lists "Verrua P" or "Verrua S" as place of birth.
I was also wrong about Adele, she was born in Verona according to her naturalization document. I do wonder if there is a mistake there, though, because Verona sounds a little like Verrua, and the ship she immigrated on was the Verona, and her English was not very good. Adele's passenger manifest shows her last place of residence as what looks like "Verua Sicom" and her closest relative is her father in "Verrua Siccomario"
I don't think there is a town called Verrua Siccomario - in the area of Pavia there is S. Martino Siccomario, and there is Verrua Po.
All 3 Toscani sisters immigrated to North Adams, MA - first Carmelina who seems to have followed her husband, then Maria Gina, then Adele. Although Maria Gina and Adele later moved to New York, Carmelina stayed in Massachusetts most of her life. After being widowed twice she moved to NY to be close to her sisters but returned to North Adams to be buried with her first husband Emilio Rancati and his family.
I will post all the images and if we can't figure it out I will order the films.
Thanks so much for your interest and help. What a great and generous group of people you are!
Assunta