Hello everyone,
I need some opinions please.
I am researching some cousins who immigrated in August of 1891 from Naples to New York. At the time they had three children. One child was born on 27 Jul 1891, just 2 weeks before the ship sailed on 10 Aug 1891.
Only 2 of the children are listed on the manifest. The baby is not listed. I have verified his birth date with several other documents, and on every census and other document he is listed as being born in Rome, Italy. So I am sure he was born before the immigration.
Here is where I need help with opinions:
1) How likely is it that a 2 week old baby would not be listed on the manifest?
2) Why would a family plan to travel when the mother was so close to giving birth?
3) Is it possible that they left the baby behind? Possibly in care of relatives? (The next date where I have proof that he was in the US is not until 1894, 3 years later!)
Thanks,
Assunta
Question about arrivals and infants
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Question about arrivals and infants
If they didn't have papers for the baby or a booking on board ship they may have just concealed his existence afraid that they wouldn't be allowed to leave.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Question about arrivals and infants
That is what I was thinking Ann, although its hard to believe they didn't plan ahead! 
Thanks,
Assunta
Thanks,
Assunta
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Question about arrivals and infants
Maybe he was supposed to be born onboard and avoid the problem, or even after the arrival in America. I don,t suppose they were too precise with due dates in those days.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
