Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
My ggf Amerigo J Catelli born Jan 1873 unknown place in Italy. He immigrated to the US in 1872 or 1873. I could not find any information through Ellis Island. He was shown in the 1900 census living in Los Angeles with his sister and brother in law and in the 1910 census he is listed as A. Catelli living with Joseph Delgrosse. He married Mary Marcotte also spelled Marcotti on Feb 11 1901 in Los Angeles. She was born in Mexico in 1882 or 1883. Cannot find any other info on her. Her parents were both born in Italy but I have no other info on them. They had a daughter, Camilla born July 8, 1904, I believe they had a son name Frank. I could not find any information on the death of either one. I would like to know where in Italy they came from if possible. Thank you for the help.
Re: Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
Here is a POSSIBLE death record index for a son, Vincent born in 1902...
Name: Vincent J Catelli
Event: Death
Event Date: 31 Jul 1951
Event Place: Los Angeles, California, United States
Birth Date: 10 Sep 1902
Birthplace: California
Gender: Male
Father: Catelli
Mother: Marcotti
T.
Name: Vincent J Catelli
Event: Death
Event Date: 31 Jul 1951
Event Place: Los Angeles, California, United States
Birth Date: 10 Sep 1902
Birthplace: California
Gender: Male
Father: Catelli
Mother: Marcotti
T.
Re: Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
Tessa78 thank you for the information on Vincent.
Re: Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
I looked at the 1920 US Census you referenced above. Below A. CATELLI is listed the following individuals...bene2950 wrote:My ggf Amerigo J Catelli born Jan 1873 unknown place in Italy. He immigrated to the US in 1872 or 1873. I could not find any information through Ellis Island. He was shown in the 1900 census living in Los Angeles with his sister and brother in law and in the 1910 census he is listed as A. Catelli living with Joseph Delgrosse. He married Mary Marcotte also spelled Marcotti on Feb 11 1901 in Los Angeles. She was born in Mexico in 1882 or 1883. Cannot find any other info on her. Her parents were both born in Italy but I have no other info on them. They had a daughter, Camilla born July 8, 1904, I believe they had a son name Frank. I could not find any information on the death of either one. I would like to know where in Italy they came from if possible. Thank you for the help.
Marcotti, B.
----- Maria (wife)
------Vincent (son)
------Camille (daughter)
I'm wondering if the census taker confused the household a bit? It would appear that Maria is the wife of "B. Marcotti" - but I think we may be able to assume that the surname of Vincent and Camille is actually CATELLI... unless there was some change ??
My thoughts are that B. Marcotti is possibly Maria's father (based on age and place of birth) His arrival date in US (1885) is the same as Maria's. (She would have been about 2 years old at the time...)
Probably Amerigo and his family were living with Mr. Marcotti, but Amerigo was listed erroneously with the family above them on the census...
Ages for the children are correct based on the information you provided and the death record I posted...
What are your thoughts?
T.
T.
Re: Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
I was wondering about that also. I believe you are right because Camilla was my grandmother. I am trying to figure out where they came from in Italy. The 1930 census shows Camilla Catelli living in Los Angeles but I do not belong and could not bring it up. I figured Amerigo passed away between 1920 and 1930. Thanks again.
Re: Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
Hi, T!
Thought I'd post the 1900 census for reference, and to see if it might give any clues. Lines 33 and above
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5711/catelli1910.jpg
Biff
Thought I'd post the 1900 census for reference, and to see if it might give any clues. Lines 33 and above
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5711/catelli1910.jpg
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
Thank you
Re: Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
California, Voter Registers, 1866-1898
Name: Amerigo Catelli
Residence Year: 1892
Residence Place: San Francisco, California
Age: 22
Birth Year: abt 1870
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8693/catelli1892.jpg
California, Voter Registers, 1866-1898
Name: Amerego Catelli
Residence Year: 1896
Residence Place: Los Angeles, California
Age: 24
Birth Year: abt 1872
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/706/catelli1896.jpg
Both documents show naturalization as 29 Jul 1892 in San Francisco
Biff
Name: Amerigo Catelli
Residence Year: 1892
Residence Place: San Francisco, California
Age: 22
Birth Year: abt 1870
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8693/catelli1892.jpg
California, Voter Registers, 1866-1898
Name: Amerego Catelli
Residence Year: 1896
Residence Place: Los Angeles, California
Age: 24
Birth Year: abt 1872
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/706/catelli1896.jpg
Both documents show naturalization as 29 Jul 1892 in San Francisco
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
I don't believe it is him as he lived in Los Angeles. Thank you
Re: Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
Both voter registrations are for the same person--same occupation, physical description, identifying marks and same naturalization date (Check the images).
He would have moved from SFO to LAX sometime between 1892 and 1896. There should also be an 1880 census record for him.
Biff
He would have moved from SFO to LAX sometime between 1892 and 1896. There should also be an 1880 census record for him.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
That's a possibility. He was listed as a butcher but the census showed him to be a day laborer. I will check some more. thanks again.
Re: Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
I've also located a number of listings for him in the Los Angeles city directories which show his occupation as a clerk, butcher, grocer and meatcutter. I didn't post them because they don't give any clues to where he might have been from or who his parents might have been.
Biff
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
Thanks for the effort. I could not find much.
Re: Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
I believe that your Amerigo was born in Lucca area( Tuscany, IT); Irene, Amerigo sister, was married at Giovanni Tognetti; in this trip, Giovanni Tognetti coming from San Marco ( hamlet of Lucca, IT) and back at home in Los Angeles, CA; already in USA from 1883 to 1910....bene2950 wrote:My ggf Amerigo J Catelli born Jan 1873 unknown place in Italy. He immigrated to the US in 1872 or 1873. I could not find any information through Ellis Island. He was shown in the 1900 census living in Los Angeles with his sister and brother in law and in the 1910 census he is listed as A. Catelli living with Joseph Delgrosse. He married Mary Marcotte also spelled Marcotti on Feb 11 1901 in Los Angeles. She was born in Mexico in 1882 or 1883. Cannot find any other info on her. Her parents were both born in Italy but I have no other info on them. They had a daughter, Camilla born July 8, 1904, I believe they had a son name Frank. I could not find any information on the death of either one. I would like to know where in Italy they came from if possible. Thank you for the help.
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Giovanni Tognetti
Name: Giovanni Tognetti
Arrival Date: 28 Jun 1911
Birth Year: abt 1860
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: lucca
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: America
here a trip of Irene:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Irene Tognetti Catelli
Name: Irene Tognetti Catelli
Arrival Date: 6 Apr 1930
Birth Year: abt 1859
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: s/marco
Age: 71
Gender: Female
Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Roma
also by this other trip:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Irene Catelli
Name: Irene Catelli
Arrival Date: 10 Jul 1914
Birth Year: abt 1862
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: s marco lucca
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Ethnicity/Race/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Genova
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Stampalia
husband Giovanni Tognetti in San Marco-Lucca, joining at son Italo in Los Angeles; already in USA from 1880 to 1913
so Amerigo was born in Lucca, San Marco hamlet also...
by LDS microfilms:
Registri dello stato civile (Lucca), 1866-1935 Lucca (Lucca). Ufficio dello stato civile
Births, marriage banns, marriages, deaths, ten year indexes, supplemental records.
https://www.familysearch.org/eng/librar ... 28Lucca%29 &columns=*,0,0
hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Amerigo Catelli ggf Info needed
Suanj thank you, that helps a lot.


