COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
Brookie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 22 Mar 2009, 18:36

Re: COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by Brookie »

Recently I bought a property in Buckinghamshire, England and in the documents that came with the house was a conveyance dated 29th December 1893 in which Mary Louisa Alexandra Flavia Countess Della Torre paid £350 to Charles Hunt to buy a small bit of land and cottages in the village of Gerrards Cross. I have tried to find out a bit about her but can find no information. Perhaps you can help?
Brookie
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by PeterTimber »

There are many sources of information about the Countess Leone della Torre and Countess Della Torre when used as titles in Google.com. The subject is replete with much information that will require scholarly research. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
Brookie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 22 Mar 2009, 18:36

Re: COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by Brookie »

Hi Peter,
Thank you for your reply. My interest is in someone called Mary Louisa Alexandra Flavia Countess Della Torre who sold a property in Buckinghamshire in 1893.

Brookie
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Brookie there are 295 references to Mary Louisa(louise) Alexandra Flavia Countess della Torre in the www.google.com website. It should be interesting to review the references for more specific information about her. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
Brookie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 22 Mar 2009, 18:36

Re: COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by Brookie »

Hi Peter - what do you type in to find her? I've tried all sorts of combinations of her name and get nothing!
Thank you for your help.
Anna
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by PeterTimber »

Try all three titles
1. Mary Luise Alexandra Flavia Countess Della Torre
2. Countess Leone Della Torre
3. Countess della Torre

You can addd england or Italy as you choose. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
Debra10
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 16 Nov 2009, 09:45

Re: COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by Debra10 »

I became interested in this woman after her name came up in a newspaper report while I was doing some other research. I was curious as to who she was, and I was eventually sorry that the thought even entered my brain!! Once I started, I couldn't stop until I worked out who she was, however there are a few anomalies that still need some attention. Most of what I know has come from newspaper articles, and some info from Google Books All of the items are consistant in their details, so probably reliable. She was an amazing woman, and I am surprised she is not a local legend in Gerrards Cross!

First of all, the most complete mention of her birth name that I have found is “Maria Luisaâ€
User avatar
Brookie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 22 Mar 2009, 18:36

Re: COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by Brookie »

Hi Debra. What an incredible bit of research and what a fascinating woman the Countess was. Sadly I cannot add anything to your information. Regarding your question about whether "Sunnyside" was my house; No, my house was built in 1907, one of a terrace, built on land according to the conveyance "bounded on the North by a meadow formerly belonging to the Duke of Somerset and now to Lady Gwendoline Ramsden..." It appears that the Countess bought two adjoining, cottages where my house now stands, from a Mr. Charles Hunt. I would love to find out more - but congratulations on your sterling work to date!
Brookie
User avatar
Debra10
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 16 Nov 2009, 09:45

Re: COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by Debra10 »

Hi Anna,

From the 1891 census - Reading Room Cottages, Charles Hunt aged 65, domestic gardener, and his wife Mary aged 63, both born at Chalfont St Peter. At this stage there were 8 inhabited cottages and one uninhabited in a row. The family before the nine cottages is enumerated with the address as just Gerrards Cross Common, then following the cottages are two uninhabited properties on Gerrards Cross Common, then “Heathersideâ€
User avatar
Brookie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 22 Mar 2009, 18:36

Re: COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by Brookie »

Hi Debra
You are a veritable mine of fascinating info! Such colourful and interesting people - it makes today's populace seem drab in comparison. When I have a bit of time, I must try and unearth a local historian to see if we can find anything more at this end.
Anna/Brookie (obviously not v good at this game!)
User avatar
JuanK
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 08 Dec 2009, 03:33

Re: COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by JuanK »

JUANITA wrote:Hello Dantet

You do not say much. As your enquiry has appeared on my thread, all I can say is that the only one of the family that I know went to Argentina was my grandmother's youngest sister Bianca Della Torre.

She ended up marrying an "Andolfato", first name unknown and I believe she had one son whose name was possibly Mario. Her DOB was November 20, 1890, Cairo, Egypt.

The last known address for her was c/o Cav. F. Fontana, Calle Galicia 2237, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

My great-grandfather Leone Della Torre never changed his name to Torres. He was thought to have had two brothers and possibly one sister born Della Torre. However, I have no further information on the possiblity of them at this time.

Be well and God bless,
Juanita
Hello Juanita,

I hope you're still checking this thread!

Sorry for my english, I'm from Argentina.

I was formerly looking for some info about Bianca Della Torre and found this.

Now that I know you're related to her, I'd appreciate all the info you could give me about her and her family.

Bianca (called Blanca here) died in the early eighties here, at the same address you gave (i'm living right there).

After her husband died, she ended up living here because of some kind of relationship or friendship with my grandmother (Ester Rojas, died a few years ago) and grandfather (Francesco Fontana born in Vicenza, who died 40 years ago).

As I'm 27 YO, all I know about her is what I hear from my parents. My mother always lived here (except for a few years) and remembers some things about her:

Her Father was some kind of doctor in Egypt, served a king (!). I don't really know how exact this info is, but that's what my mother says. She told me something about and english attack or aggression in Egypt, Bianca and the others then came back to Italy, and finally came to Argentina (don't know the dates, I should ask but my mother is sleeping right now)
angelisej
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 08 Jul 2012, 22:02

Re: COUNT LEONE DELLA TORRE

Post by angelisej »

Hello all,
I wanted to let whoever was asking Juanita questions in the past and never got a response that she unfortunately passed away in 2009. I apologize that she was not able to help you with the information you sought. I just wanted you to know that there was a reason that she did not respond, it was not because she did not care; she was always interested in the family history.
All the best.
Post Reply