Originally my idea was to trace all branches back as far as possible, and i'm making good headway, with all sides (pretty much traced back to city of origin before immigrating to the US (barring two examples which most of you should know)).
However, I came across something that sort of blew my mind, and made me step back a second:
If you remember from Algebra in school, each generation back has exponentially more people than the prior one, meaning:

So, follow me on this.
If each generation, on average is 25 years apart (a fair estimate giving old and young births), that makes 4 generations a century.
So, that would make the number of family lines to research every century back go up by an exponent of four.
So, that would mean

Now, I know lines would have to get criss-crossed somewhere, reducing this to a degree, but am I wrong in thinking that it's going to be impossble, given how much time it would take to do such a thing in your life?
I mean, if I was to do it to even 1600, it would mean i'd be tracing 32,768 lines (roughly, probably slightly less, given inevitable intermixing).
Now, unless my calculations are wrong, there's just not enough time to do this in anyone's life.
Thoughts?




