Connecticut State Library; anybody with experience?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Connecticut State Library; anybody with experience?

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes :-)

I just replied.


FYI - he 1930 Census for Garibaldi Spallone in Hawaii gives his first son's name as Joseph. This is in keeping with the Italian naming tradition... named after the paternal grandfather :-)

1939 City Directory in Hawaii...
Celeste, Garibaldi AND Joseph C. (father?) are all listed as residing at 1319b 16th Ave.
(bottom of left column)
http://interactive.ancestry.com/2469/16 ... turnRecord

THEN... in the 1940 Census
Wife Celeste Spallone is listed as divorced.
Son (14) is listed as Joseph Spallone.
Daughter Eleanor (16) is listed with last name Rapoza

1940 United States Federal Census about Celeste Spallone
Name: Celeste Spallone
Age: 32
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1908
Gender: Female
Race: Caucasian (White)
Birthplace: Portugal
Marital Status: Divorced
Relation to Head of House: Head
Home in 1940: Honolulu, Honolulu, Hawaii
Map of Home in 1940: View Map
Street: Brokaw Street
House Number: A 3126
Farm: No
Citizenship: Having First Papers
Sheet Number: 15A
Number of Household in Order of Visitation: 280
House Owned or Rented: Rented
Value of Home or Monthly Rental if Rented: 28
Attended School or College: No
Highest Grade Completed: Elementary school, 7th grade
Weeks Worked in 1939: 0
Income: 0
Income Other Sources: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Celeste Spallone 32
Joseph Spallone 14
Eleanor Rapoza 16


T.
Dscaglione
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 07 Oct 2024, 03:17

Re: Connecticut State Library; anybody with experience?

Post by Dscaglione »

I am related through marriages to Spallone family from Macchia Valfortore. Some left Italy for New York and others PA but at least one family that I saw moved to Connecticut (New Haven and Bridgeport). I know that if you dig then ylu can find the birth and death certificates for Macchia but I did this the manual way my looking at microfilms in SLC. I will have to see which Spallone I am related to but it seems like yoir relstive could have very likely been from Macchia Valfortore.
Post Reply