Antonio Soro born about 1885-1886

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Antonio Soro born about 1885-1886

Post by PippoM »

Lutherman,
I did a genealogical search for a friend, and was surprised to find out that in Sardinia, in the XIX and early XX century, official documents often reported surnames "the spanish way", that is, a child could be recorded with both surnames of his father, and mother. This is NOT Italian naming convention.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Lutherman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lutherman »

Thanks Peter. My question was about surnames, but I will look at the article on forenames also.
Lutherman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lutherman »

PippoM wrote:Lutherman,
I did a genealogical search for a friend, and was surprised to find out that in Sardinia, in the XIX and early XX century, official documents often reported surnames "the spanish way", that is, a child could be recorded with both surnames of his father, and mother. This is NOT Italian naming convention.
Pippo, thanks so much, that is very helpful. If I look at the names in my question above, that is what I thought I saw. Because I am an American but I live in the Philippines, and a Spanish system is still used here. My wife and all her siblings use their mother's maiden name as their middle name, and their father's name as the surname.

I will research the Spanish system further. Sardinia must have had Spanish influence, no?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Spain ruled most of Italy includings the islands from 1550 to 1713. The Treat of Utrecht ended Spanish rule and the emperor of france drove the Austrian rulers from Northern Italy and by`1804 he ruled most of Italy and in 1806 he began requiring that civil registration records be kept. By 1815 civil registrations ended in northern Italy but remained intact in Southern Italy while the northern part of Italy was unfettered from these practices so some did and some did not maintain the
Napoleonic civil system. Peter
~Peter~
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Lutherman wrote:
I will research the Spanish system further. Sardinia must have had Spanish influence, no?
Yes, they had. In some areas of Sardinia, they still speak a language (it is considered a language rather than a dialect) called Catalano, with many similarities to the original Catalan of Barcelona.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

well.. my insistence... payed me!
I remembered that on a public genealogic tree, Giuseppe Rinaldo d'Albora birthplace was: Napoli.
I believed that was wrong, because the D'Alboras in Australia coming from Aeolian islands...
It is also true that the surname D'Albora was sicilian, of Trapani province, and some D'Albora moved in Aeolian islands for to work... I know that moved also in other regions.. but my main idea was Aeolian islands as birthplace ...
But I searched in all civil records of archipelago and nobody Cesare Pasquale D'Albora was born... I searched from 1874 to 1882 and no results...
Napoli civil records are available until 1865, so the search was out..
In effects in the Aeolian islands the maiden name of Cesare D'Albora mother, LIGUORI, is not... and I no found it in the civil records of Aeolian islands... Liguori is a neapolitan surname especially......
so I had a idea.. to search in Napoli civil records the Anna Liguori Birth... because could it be that a sicilian man married at a neapolitan man...

I found the birth act of Anna Liguori born in Napoli (San Giuseppe district) on 16 Aug 1854 #342, daughter of Domenico Liguori 22 old and of Giuseppa Battista 22 old, and married on 22 May 1873 at Giuseppe D'Albora; the note of marriage (if I read well the handwriting) on the bottom> second page of birth act >was on 30 Jul 1875... I believe married in Napoli also...

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

I believe that in the Napoli civil records, are Cesare Pasquale D'Albora birth act and also the transcription of his marriage at Elisabetta ( or Elena Elisabetta SORO) and so also bride birthplace...
hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Raffaella, sei grande! Come sempre del resto.... Bravissima

Laura
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

AUGURI!! Peter
~Peter~
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Grazie Grazie Grazie!
Thanks Thanks Thanks!
:D suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Lutherman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lutherman »

Suanj, you are a great genealogist! Thank you so much for your assistance! I have not abandoned this search, however I am waiting to hear back from the National Archives in Australia, whether the files they have are all referring to the same person. If so, then we are more certain to proceed, knowing the birth date, and they should give me a quote for the purchase of the documents.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ok!
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

suanj wrote:
I found the birth act of Anna Liguori born in Napoli (San Giuseppe district) on 16 Aug 1854 #342, daughter of Domenico Liguori 22 old and of Giuseppa Battista 22 old, and married on 22 May 1873 at Giuseppe D'Albora; the note of marriage (if I read well the handwriting) on the bottom> second page of birth act >was on 30 Jul 1875... I believe married in Napoli also...

suanj
Yes, they married in the same "Sezione" (San Giuseppe).
Complimenti, Suanj!

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Grazie Pippo!
:D suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Lutherman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lutherman »

Here is my best effort to transcribe and translate Anna Liguori's birth and marriage record. The translation is especially bad English but it gets the message across and I am not qualified to change much from the literal translation as offered by google translation software:

[page 1]

Numero d'ordine trecento quarantadue

L'anno mille ottocento cinquantaquattro, il dì diciassette del mese di Agosto alle ore due antimeridiane avanti di Noi [names illegible] eletto, ed uffiziale dello Stato Civile del Circondario San Giuseppe -- Comune di Napoli, Provincia di Napoli, è comparso Domenico Lègero di Napoli, di anni vent e due. Castagnaro domiciliato vie Carrozzeria Toledo numero trentadue --

il quale ci ha presentato una femmina secondo che abbiamo ocularmente riconosciuto, ed ha dichiarato, che la stessa è nata da lui e da Giuseppa Battista di Napoli, di anni vent e due sua moglie legittima unito domiciliata -- nel giorno se disse del mese suddetto -- dell anno correnti -- alle ore sei pomeridiane nella suo propria casa.

Lo stesso ci ha inoltre dichiarato di dare alla medesima il nome di Anna.

TRANSLATION PAGE 1:

Serial No three hundred forty-two

The year one thousand eight hundred fifty-four, the seventeenth day of the month of August at two o'clock in the morning before us [names illegible] elected, and officer of the civil state of the San Giuseppe Area - City of Naples, Naples Province, appeared Dominic Legero of Naples, aged twenty-two Castagnaro resident streets Carrozzeria Toledo number thirty-two --

who introduced us to a second female we on sight recognized, and declared, that the same was born by him and Giuseppa Battista of Naples, aged twenty two and his lawful wife residing together - on the day when he said of the said month - of the current year - at six in the evening in his own house.

The same has also stated that to give to her the name of Anna.

[page 2]

La presentazione, e dichiarazione anzidetta si è fatta alla presenza di Francisco Minutolo di Napoli di anni trentatre di professione parrucchiere -- domiciliato vie Carrozzeria Toledo numero undici -- e di Giovanni Vajalo di Napoli di anni trentuno -- di professione cantiniere -- domiciliato Carrozzeria numero trenta. Testimoni intervenuti al presente Atto, e dal Dichiarante prodotti.

Il presente atto, che abbiamo all uopo formato, è stato inscritto ne due registri, letto all dichiarante, ed a testimoni, ed indi nel giorno, mese, ed anno, come sopra, firmato da noi, dal dichiaranti e dai testimoni --

Domenico Liguori
Giocanni Rajolz
Francesco Minutolo
[2 more signatures]

TRANSLATION PAGE 2:

The presentation and aforementioned statement was made in the presence of Francisco Minutolo Naples thirty years of of the profession hairdresser - residing streets Carrozzeria Toledo number eleven - and of Giovanni Vajalo of Naples, thirty-one years - of the profession winemaker - residing Carrozzeria number thirty. Witnesses spoke to this Act, and the Declarant products.

This act, we have to appropriate to form, it was inscribed two registers, read to the declarant and witnesses, and then on the day, month, and year, as above, signed by us, the respondents and witnesses -

[signatures]

[page 1, column 2]

L'anno mille ottocento cinquantaquattro il di quattro del mese di settembre il Parroco di "Santi Giuseppi a Cristoporo" ci ha restituito il notamento, che Noi gli abbiamo rimesso nel giorno diciassette del mese di Agosto del controscritto atto di nascita,in pie del quale ha indicato, che il Sacramento del Battesimo è stato amministrato a ha controscritto Anna a diciassette Agosto correnti Anno. In vista di tal notamento, dopo averle cifrato, abbiamo disposto di conservarsi nel volume de documenti, ai foglio duecento novantotto --

Abbiamo inoltre accusato al Parroco anzidetto la ricezione del medesimo, ed abbiamo formato il presento Atto, che è stato inscritto ne due registri, in margine del corrispondente Atto di Nascita, ed indi lo abbiamo firmato.

TRANSLATION PAGE 1 COLUMN 2:

The year one thousand eight hundred fifty-four of the September the parish of "Santi Giuseppi a Cristoporo" has given us the notation, that we have put in the seventeenth day of the month of August of the undersigned birth certificate,

at the foot of which indicated that the Sacrament of Baptism was administered to Anna on August 17 has undersigned current year. In view of this notation, after being numbered, we have arranged to keep in the volume of documents, in the folio two hundred ninety-eight --

[page 2, handwritten in left margin:]

L'anno 1875 ci 30 Luglio
Anna Liguori cui ha rapporto il presente atto ha contratto matrimonio in questa sezione, li 22 Maggio 1873 con Giuseppe d'Albora.

[signature]

TRANSLATION PAGE TWO LEFT MARGIN:

The year 1875 July 30
Anna Liguori who reported has on this document got married in this section, there May 22, 1873 with Giuseppe d'Albora.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Lutherman wrote: [page 1]

Numero d'ordine trecento quarantadue

L'anno mille ottocento cinquantaquattro, il dì diciassette del mese di Agosto alle ore due pomeridiane avanti di Noi Duca di Gagliati, Ippolito Porcinara aggiunto eletto, ed uffiziale dello Stato Civile del Circondario San Giuseppe -- Comune di Napoli, Provincia di Napoli, è comparso Domenico Liguore di Napoli, di anni ventidue. Castagnaro domiciliato vie Carrozzeria Toledo numero trentadue --

il quale ci ha presentato una femmina secondo che abbiamo ocularmente riconosciuto, ed ha dichiarato, che la stessa è nata da lui e da Giuseppa Battista di Napoli, di anni ventidue sua moglie legittima unito domiciliata -- nel giorno sedici del mese suddetto -- dell anno corrente -- alle ore sei pomeridiane nella suo propria casa.

Lo stesso ci ha inoltre dichiarato di dare alla medesima il nome di Anna.

TRANSLATION PAGE 1:

Serial No three hundred forty-two

The year one thousand eight hundred fifty-four, the seventeenth day of the month of August at two o'clock in the afternoon before us Ippolito Porcinara, Duke of Gagliati elected, and officer of the civil state of the San Giuseppe Area - City of Naples, Naples Province, appeared Dominic Liguori of Naples, aged twenty-twochestnut seller resident in Carrozzeria Toledo street number thirty-two --

who introduced us to a female according to what we on sight recognized, and declared, that the same was born by him and Giuseppa Battista of Naples, aged twenty two and his lawful wife residing together - on the day 16th of the said month - of the current year - at six in the evening in his own house.

The same has also stated that to give to her the name of Anna.