Trying to make out last name.
Trying to make out last name.
Hi. Looking for some help. So thrilled to locate the death record of an ancestor. Now, I am struggling with the last name of her mother. See attachment. Word in question is on the third line. It seems to start with an S based on the writing of the author. The word before it is the end of the name Marianna. I cannot make out the last name for sure.
If I had to make a wild guess, I would say Sentrini but that is not a last name I know of.
The orginal can be found in this link:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,131537001
It's image 127 and in the top left area near the end of the entry. Any help would be great.
Thanks!
If I had to make a wild guess, I would say Sentrini but that is not a last name I know of.
The orginal can be found in this link:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,131537001
It's image 127 and in the top left area near the end of the entry. Any help would be great.
Thanks!
Re: Trying to make out last name.
Lentini
Erudita
Erudita
Re: Trying to make out last name.
Thanks! Are you certain? I thought of the letter L too but the first letter looked a lot like a lot of S words on the same page.
Re: Trying to make out last name.
Yes, I am certain, and Lentini is a surname in the town of Vizzini
Erudita
Erudita
Re: Trying to make out last name.
Much appreciated! Thank you! 
Re: Trying to make out last name.
You're very welcome.
Erudita
Erudita
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Trying to make out last name.
Definitely Lentini. I posted earlier and it didn't go through.
Angela
Angela
Re: Trying to make out last name.
Since you are familiar with Vizzini, have I reached the end of the line here? The person in the record is Scholastica Costa. Died at age 74 in 1874. So you figure her mother Marianna Lentini and Father Gregorio were born around 1775 +/- 5-8 yrs. Do you know of another online source beyond family search for 18th century Vizzini records?
I was surprised to find the marriage record of her and her husband at italyfreebmd. It gave me the groom's parents. But I know of nowhere else.
I was surprised to find the marriage record of her and her husband at italyfreebmd. It gave me the groom's parents. But I know of nowhere else.
Re: Trying to make out last name.
Thank you, Angela!
Re: Trying to make out last name.
You would need church records for those earlier years, but there are none that have been microfilmed for Vizzini.The link below has the names and addresses of parishes in that town. You could try writing to these parishes to see if your ancestors' records are in one of them.
http://www.movingitalia.it/vizzini/turismo/chiese.html
sample letter in Italian to a parish priest-
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter4.html
Personally, I would not send any money unless you get a response, and the parish priest indicates that the records have been located. Some parishes, unfortunately, never respond, as it is common for parish priests to administer to multiple parishes and not have the time to do such research of their parish books.
Erudita
http://www.movingitalia.it/vizzini/turismo/chiese.html
sample letter in Italian to a parish priest-
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter4.html
Personally, I would not send any money unless you get a response, and the parish priest indicates that the records have been located. Some parishes, unfortunately, never respond, as it is common for parish priests to administer to multiple parishes and not have the time to do such research of their parish books.
Erudita
Re: Trying to make out last name.
Thanks for the response and info but at this point, I'm just looking for online-accessible information. Late 1700s is pretty good for my level of time and energy right now. In some cases, I have rented microfilm from the Family Research Library to view locally at my local branch but that was quite a hassle. That being said, I may do it again soon now that I have more time during the winter months.
Thanks again for all the help!
Thanks again for all the help!
Re: Trying to make out last name.
You're very welcome.
Erudita
Erudita
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Trying to make out last name.
http://www.vizzinesi.org reflects information of the earliest records are 1820's. There is additional information listing of 4 or five books about Vizzini that might be worth pursuing. Peter
~Peter~
